I have vegetables......HELP!

Options
I like very few vegetables. It is hard to fill up without vegetables and it takes very little other food to add up to 1200 calories in a day....does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    I NEVER ATE VEGGIES EXCEPT CORN N GREEN BEANS AND THAT WAS EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE BUT SINCE STARTING THIS SITE IVE BEEN TRYNA GET MORE IN EVEN TRIED BROCCOLI AND CARROTS! .... SOMETIMES ILL MIX EM IN WITH ANOTHER SIDE DISH - EXAMPLE ONE NIGHT WE HAD CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI RICE SO I ADDED EXTRA FROZEN BROCCOLI WHILE COOKING...TONIGHT EVEN WITH MY CHICKEN PASTA I MIXED MY GREEN BEANS IN.. I FIND THEM NOT HAVING MUCH FLAVOR SO IT HELPS ME N THOUGHT ID SHARE GOOD LUCK!
  • Rach911
    Rach911 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't hate veggies, but my friend does. She uses Low Sodium V8 to get her veggies in for the day. One glass = 2 servings of veggies.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Juicing is one way to get them in. I find that I can even put spinach into a smoothie and the fruit masks the taste. Hiding them in foods is another. For example if you make your own meat loaf, add a cup of spinach or green beans in. I would also recommend trying them different ways, stir fried, raw, boiled or roasted. Try buying them fresh instead of frozen or canned. Think of it as a way to expand your palette.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    For me, its all about preparation. I can eat carrots and broccoli and green beans any day. With zucchini, they need to be chopped up and grilled and mixed with other things. Any veggies you love and hate?
  • angcd240
    angcd240 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will try sneaking in more vegetables in my recipes.
  • angcd240
    angcd240 Posts: 4
    Options
    The vegetables that I like are lettuce, green beans, raw carrots.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I don't hate veggies but there was a time when I only liked a certain number of them.

Then I simply decided I liked vegetables. I've been telling myself for years that I hate mushrooms. Well since I started telling myself "I like mushrooms" I'm finding myself eating more and more of them. It's not a fast process of learning to like veggies and there's definitely more to it than JUST telling yourself you like them. But making the choice and repeating it to yourself plays a big part.

Once I started telling myself I liked certain vegetables I started looking for ways to cook them. Nothing fancy! Just good, proper ways to cook the vegetables so they taste good. If you're worried about overcoming a dislike of particular vegetable(like me and mushrooms), mix it with other foods that you do like until you get used to the new flavor.

I'm still getting used to mushrooms. I really, thought they tasted like dirt. But after learning how to properly cook them (I'm still not up to trying them raw like in a salad yet) I'm acquiring a taste for them. I still mix them with other veggies and hide them in spices and sauces but I'm slowly taking away those things so I can get used to the flavor and texture.

Good luck! Just remember to make the choice, repeat it to yourself and then do the work to make it happen.
  • biggerpix
    biggerpix Posts: 96
    Options
    Until I started this trip on MFP, I never ate veggies. Now I am 90% vegetarian. I can't get enough and I don't have a taste for meat at all, unless it's to stuff my veggies. I love to stuff tomatoes with tuna, mushrooms, and onions or my zucchini with tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach and eggs. I roast tomatoes with fish and dress up whatever else I make with brocolli. It's a miraculous change that took 41 years. If you don't like veggies like I did, try dressing them up with something you do like. you might make the same change I did. I'm glad I did too because they are so filling. I have a stuffed tomatoe and I can't move for an hour. It's great.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    What kind of lettuce? If you're only easting iceberg, try expanding to romaine or spring mix or even spinach.

Fresh green beans and carrots in a stir fry so the veg is still crisp is delish. You could slowly add new veg into the stir fry, but leave the carrots and green beans prominent.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love veggies, but don't always have time to cook the fresh stuff before it goes bad. I love love love the green giant veggies that come in the frozen section in the boxes. They are very tasty and are in light sauce. They are weight watchers endorsed and not high in calories even though they are in sauce. They are quick to make too, just a few minutes in the microwave and perfect for just one or two people.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Juicing is one way to get them in. I find that I can even put spinach into a smoothie and the fruit masks the taste. Hiding them in foods is another. For example if you make your own meat loaf, add a cup of spinach or green beans in. I would also recommend trying them different ways, stir fried, raw, boiled or roasted. Try buying them fresh instead of frozen or canned. Think of it as a way to expand your palette.

If you make meatloaf, throw some raw carrots, green pepper, mushroom, onion, garlic, and cilantro into a food processor and chop it up really fine. Then throw that in the microwave for a couple of minutes with a little olive oil drizzled on. This will soften the veggies a little. Then add that into the meatloaf when you are mixing it. You don't realize the veggies are in there when you are eating the meatloaf, and it keeps it so moist!
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

green beans can go in just about anything. i put them in chili, rice, soup, baked beans, add galirc to them, spaghetti. you name it i think ive but green beans in it. I think the only thing i havent put them on was pizza :tongue:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Try roasting them. It really changes the taste. Also grind in a food processor and mix them in turkey for a meatloaf. Add salsa on top for veggies without seeing them or tasting them.
  • keelekat
    keelekat Posts: 13
    Options
    If you aren't a major fan of vegetables the easiest way of getting used to them is to chop them really finely and add to other dishes. For example, finely chop onion, peppers, sweet potato and butternut squash into a tomato based curry for approx. 2 of your 5 a day. Once you start getting used to the texture and the taste of vegetables, then think about dialing down the flavours that you use with them and increasing the serving sizes.

Also, don't over cook them. The number of times my fiance has told me that he doesn't like a certain type of vegetable and then I've cooked it and made him try it, only for him to say something like "it doesn't taste bitter, how did you do that?" surprises me. It really surprises me sometimes how many people don't like vegetables because they have only had them when they've been overcooked!