Does anyone else have weird motivation methods that they secretly use?

Options
Rukia_K
Rukia_K Posts: 31 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Generally speaking I tend to be quite good at regular exercise, however, there are those weeks when I think "forget it" and this is when I tend to gain back some weight. Strangely enough I have found an odd way to get myself back on track and that is to watch episode 3 or 4 of any season of America's biggest loser which makes me realise how hard it is for those poor ladies and gents to get back to their appropriate weight.

Does anyone else do this or have a strange motivation method?

Replies

• helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The biggest loser usa is a huge motivator for me! I use to watch it whilst on the cross trainer. It got me into running, I thought if they can do it I can, a year later I have a 5k under my belt & I run 2/3 times a week :)
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    All the exercising I do is designed to help me better at a specific sport. I don't think about the aesthetics or how it will help me lose weight. I remind myself I need strong legs, strong back, strong core and good endurance to do what I love.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Just looking at myself naked but I don't consider that weird.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If I log for 30 days in a row, I go get a steak at Roadhouse. As for exercise, I started by taking a walking class for last semester. That got me going, and Zombies, Run! keeps me going now that the class is over.
  • CandiedCarrion
    CandiedCarrion Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I look at pictures of other fit girls on Tumblr.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    When I'm running (I can't run far at all yet but I push myself every time to run further) and I get to the point I feel like I can't run any longer without passing out I set a goal (next telephone pole, next stop sign, whatever) and run my hardest until I get there telling myself over and over YOU CAN BE LAZY LATER!

I also have a picture on my wall at work right behind the computer screen that says:
    "Do you want to win? Then get tough, Mentally tough. It takes more than muscle, more than practice, more than sheer determination to get to the top. IT TAKES THE MIND OF A CHAMPION"
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »
    When I'm running (I can't run far at all yet but I push myself every time to run further) and I get to the point I feel like I can't run any longer without passing out I set a goal (next telephone pole, next stop sign, whatever) and run my hardest until I get there telling myself over and over YOU CAN BE LAZY LATER!

I also have a picture on my wall at work right behind the computer screen that says:
    "Do you want to win? Then get tough, Mentally tough. It takes more than muscle, more than practice, more than sheer determination to get to the top. IT TAKES THE MIND OF A CHAMPION"

I must be one of the only people in the world that this kind of thing doesn't work on. Looking at pictures of skinny girls DEmotivates me, and the positive motivational speeches kinda frustrate me. I mean, it obviously works for a lot of people, and hey, if it works for you go for it! It just never did for me, which is why I have to bribe myself.
  • SharpTeeth
    SharpTeeth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym I like to watch the Food Network. I still have a love affair with food, though I guess it's a long distance one now. Show me something delicious and I lose all track of time and pain.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    chelsy0587 wrote: »

I must be one of the only people in the world that this kind of thing doesn't work on. Looking at pictures of skinny girls DEmotivates me, and the positive motivational speeches kinda frustrate me. I mean, it obviously works for a lot of people, and hey, if it works for you go for it! It just never did for me, which is why I have to bribe myself.

Same. I have to have a purpose and "yay! you can do it!" isn't a purpose.
  • markdvsmo
    markdvsmo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I watched a couple episodes of TLC's "My 600 Pound Life" a few days ago. Perhaps it's a "reverse" motivator, but it was enough to strengthen my resolve for a good while.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I talk to myself like I am a sports hero..."c'mon you got this...be a star..go for it ..yr my hero.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I got my belly button pierced and it hurts when I have fat rolls (it gets mushed in my stomach fat) so I am totally motivated to lose weight. Also, I want to have a nice stomach so I can show off my piercing.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I just think about how I look vs how I want to look. I'm not really unhappy with how I look but I think about how I will feel when I step on the scales and see that I've reached my goal weight. Also I think about the accomplished feeling I get after exercising.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    chocolate...the great motivator. My current calorie goal does not include any room for chocolate...so...if I want it I have to exercise a bit...not a whole lot but if I run for 10mins might as well finish up the 5k I am already sweaty...
  • emilycwright85
    emilycwright85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Getting on pinterest and finding all the great outfits that I'm too fat to wear. That, and also listening to music gets me pretty motivated.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    markdvsmo wrote: »
    I watched a couple episodes of TLC's "My 600 Pound Life" a few days ago. Perhaps it's a "reverse" motivator, but it was enough to strengthen my resolve for a good while.

^^^^This! I watch episodes of the 600 lb. show or "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" while walking/jogging on the treadmill. I support those people on their weight loss journeys, but it also helps to see what can happen if you give up. Same reason I sometimes watch "Hoarders", so I nip those clutterbug/hoarding tendencies in the bud.

I also reward myself with little things that are not food related. For example, if I get my workout done then I can spend an hour or two reading a book or give myself a pedicure.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I like to watch "My 600-pound Life" too. I also like to watch "Supersize vs. Superskinny" and "Fat Doctor." It's important to remind myself why it is so important I lose the weight and not put it off--I don't want to have serious health issues and I don't want to grow any larger than I was at the start!
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've bought a few pieces of clothing that are just 1 size smaller than I am now. I hang them in front of the mirror and try them on once a week. Being able to add some into my clothing rotation is like getting to shop twice!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Dariasen wrote: »
    I've bought a few pieces of clothing that are just 1 size smaller than I am now. I hang them in front of the mirror and try them on once a week. Being able to add some into my clothing rotation is like getting to shop twice!

this made me laugh. It's a good one.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    "Don't be a... kitty cat" is my go-to.