Sugar strike!

Options
Josieqc
Josieqc Posts: 14 Member
Hi! This is day 2 on my new sugar strike lifestyle. Would anyone be interested in joining me get rid of sugar in their diet once and for all?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Carbs are sugar. Eliminating all sugar would mean going carb free (that includes fruits and vegetables). Don't think many could sustain that at all.
    Sugar isn't evil. Over consumption of it is the issue for most.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    I am not interested in joining.

I only want to 2nd what ninerbuff has said.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have zero interest in joining.

Sugar is not toxic, the devil, whatever; hence, there is zero reason to eliminate it. Unless, of course, one has some kind of medical condition that requires eliminating/controlling it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Carbs are sugar. Eliminating all sugar would mean going carb free (that includes fruits and vegetables). Don't think many could sustain that at all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

cosign
  • SharpTeeth
    SharpTeeth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my best in the past week to cut out added sugars. I just finished reading "A Year of No Sugar" and it really seems to me that if I can avoid added sugars, why not? Health is all about those little changes, after all.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm doing my best in the past week to cut out added sugars. I just finished reading "A Year of No Sugar" and it really seems to me that if I can avoid added sugars, why not? Health is all about those little changes, after all.

you don't need to avoid sugar to be healthy.

I eat about 70-100 grams of sugar a day and my blood work comes back nearly perfect every year.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Josieqc wrote: »
    Hi! This is day 2 on my new sugar strike lifestyle. Would anyone be interested in joining me get rid of sugar in their diet once and for all?

No thank you. I enjoy my dairy and my veggies.

• SharpTeeth
    SharpTeeth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I eat about 70-100 grams of sugar a day and my blood work comes back nearly perfect every year.

I can only do what works for me. I used to be pre-diabetic, so if I can choose a peanut butter without hfcs in it, that's my plan. I'm not talking about foods in which sugars naturally occur (fruits, starches, dairy, etc). I'm talking about choosing foods without sugar in the ingredients.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

I can only do what works for me. I used to be pre-diabetic, so if I can choose a peanut butter without hfcs in it, that's my plan. I'm not talking about foods in which sugars naturally occur (fruits, starches, dairy, etc). I'm talking about choosing foods without sugar in the ingredients.

....... in 3, 2, 1
  • ndj1979
    Options

yes, I eat added sugar and am perfectly healthy.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I had insulin resistance and even my own endocrinologist had zero interest in having me alter my diet except to eat less than what I burn. I see you've lost the weight, so I'll assume that it was the weight loss and not cutting out certain foods that helped you reverse that, correct?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep, this!!!

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Losing weight typically improves diabetic conditions regardless of changes in sugar intake.
    Why is the sugar in a beet fine, but when removed and used in HFCS, it suddenly becomes a cause of diabetes?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to cut all sugar out of my diet, I like potatoes! XD Now, I have limited sugar intake in that I don't eat candy hardly at all anymore, nor really have sweets except once in a while. But you need some sugar and carbs in your diet to help fuel your body.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Your body does not know the difference between the sugar which naturally occurs in food (fruits, etc) and sugar which has been added. Which, by the way, naturally occurred in the first place in the form of cane, beets, etc. Eating in moderation allows the consumption of foods with added sugar with no negative effects on the body.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    And it's only Monday! ay ay ay
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    it really seems to me that if I can avoid added sugars, why not?

Personally, because there are a number of foods with added sugar (like apple pie) that I think taste really good and that I associate with special occasions. If I can include these foods in my diet in a healthy manner and without gaining weight (or while losing weight, if you aren't yet at maintenance), why wouldn't I?

I don't believe in cutting out foods, although there are lots of foods that don't fit in my day that often. With sugar I think moderation is the approach that works for me.

Also, I've never understood why including a little sugar in a rhubarb sauce or adding it to oatmeal if you think it makes it taste better (I don't, personally) or having some flavored yogurt if you enjoy it or some smoked salmon in which sugar was an ingredient makes these nutrient dense foods unacceptable when the sugar inherent in an apple (which might be quite a bit more) doesn't make the apple off limits.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I got 52 grams of sugar from fruit and vegetables yesterday and I didn't even have all that much fruit (some cherries and a pluot). Well, okay, some corn was part of it, but you take away my fresh local in-season Illinois corn at your own risk.

I also had some ice cream, but that was in addition to the 52 grams from the produce. ;-)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

I got 52 grams of sugar from fruit and vegetables yesterday and I didn't even have all that much fruit (some cherries and a pluot).

I also had some ice cream, but that was in addition to the 52 grams from the produce. ;-)

Good thing you didn't have a banana!