Trouble viewing yourself?

Options
I am 5'10" and went from 178 to 166 in the last few months. But I view myself as pretty big. It is strange. I have a friend who I was shocked to learn is about 200 lbs and several inches shorter than I am -- I always thought we were about the same size. When I went running today, I saw myself in a window reflection and was sort of surprised by how I look (smaller). I know I am rambling but there you go. Anyone else challenged to view yourself accurately?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I went shopping yesterday and was surprised, I didn't hate what I looked like in the mirror.
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've always stuggled with this. Its those little moments when I catch a glimpse of myself that take me by surprise, like you said happened to you, that I have to use to keep remembering and reminding myself that I'm getting healthier and I'm in much better shape than I used to be.
  • barbsus1991
    barbsus1991 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    this happened to me today, went to a shop and brought some weight watcher products, the cashier said "you don't need to diet" i said i did and she said" your not exactly as big as me" and i thought "aren't i?" because i still see myself as bigger than she was!
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    This is completely relevant to me at the moment. I took my new profile pic a couple of days ago as someone was asking about before and after pics. Objectively I can see that I actually look pretty good from the back but I just can't associate that with being me. I still think of that as how I want to look rather than how I really do look. In my head I'm still a flabby, wobbly, thirty something mother of 2.
  • sgk0411
    sgk0411 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I most definitely have trouble with this. i picked up my new jeans thinking "those look wayyy too small to fit" even though they are in fact my new size. I went from 222 before I got pregnant to 158 now. I still have the hardest time seeing me as not huge. i'm working on self image though.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    totally agree. I think the way we view ourselves is relative. I am the lowest weight I have ever been but when I look in the mirror I still see myself as if I was a few sizes bigger, lumps and bumps and all. If it weren't for the # on my clothing size, I don't think I'd believe I was thin at all.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Completely have this happening to me every day lately! I've gone from 180ish (I'm 5'2") to 142 and dropped from a size 14-16 to an 8!!!! Literally I'm almost half the woman I used to be, but I still see myself as chubby! I get called skinny by people who knew me a year ago and it kind of embarrasses me. I know it shouldn't, I've worked really hard for this, but it's weird! I still would like to lose another 5-10 and see how it feels, but it's starting... ever so slowly.. to sink in. I'm fit, thin and healthy!!! Strange....