Vegetarian Keto Diet?

Options
rh091
rh091 Posts: 100 Member
I was wondering if anyone had experience trying keto as a vegetarian? If so, is it realistic to do it successfully and what tips do you have for someone wanting to try ?

Replies

• dustofsnow
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but it is definitely possible. Perhaps it would just require a little more planning. There are some resources over at www.reddit.com/r/vegetarianketo that might be useful to you!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and low carb. Yes, you do have to be ok with dairy. I eat a lot of Greek yogurt and some cheese. Nuts are great. I love a variety of vegetables, so incorporating Greek yogurt and cheese into my vegetables works just fine for me.

I do occasionally eat fish mainly because I lift and I really need the protein.
  • AFincha
    AFincha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did keto as a vegetarian and found it really manageable once I got started. The only disadvantage was that a lot of the vegetarian "meat" products also add carbs to your meal, so be mindful of these. If you aren't being super strict with your carbs then these probably won't even make a difference. I avoided these products, and like some of the other users have suggested, got the majority of my fat and protein via eggs, dairy, nuts, etc.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes. Or tons of eggs. Dairy is generally not good as your only option for protein while on a ketogenic diet, as it'll be difficult to get enough protein without the milk sugars raising your carbs higher than you'd prefer, in my opinion.
  • PlasticLoveCola
    PlasticLoveCola Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a ketogenic vegetarian, and I don't find many difficulties. As others have mentioned, eating eggs and dairy is almost necessity, I don't think its possible to be a ketogenic vegan. I try to limit my soy intake, and I know in the states there are good veggie "meat" options that aren't mainly soy. I enjoy the gardein products, since soy isn't the main ingredient, they use wheat protein. I like to make "casseroles" which usually include broccoli, cauliflower, diced chik'n patty, cheddar cheese, and a "sauce" of whipping cream and hot sauce. It's hearty and fills me up. I also make egg salads, omelettes, veggie burgers with cloud buns, parmesan crisps, custards, etc. There is a lot of room to experiment depending what your macros are. Mine are at <20g/day, so I'm pretty strict compared to most. If you have any questions let me know!
  • Dangerrosive
    Dangerrosive Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is so doable! I've been doing it for well over a month. You want yummy protein? Quest bars are your best friend! They are super delicious. I buy them by the box to save money.

My staple diet:
    Light Life vegetarian hot dogs (1 carb each, high protein, taste amazing)
    Coconut oil for cooking with and making fat bombs (loads of recipes out there)
    Atkins chocolate covered peanuts (as a treat)
    Almond Milk
    cheeeese! Havard is my favorite, also love cheese curds, and white cheddar.
    butter, salt and pepper
    Eggs
    Spinach leaves for salads
    olives
    celery, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower
    and omg pickles.. mm pickles.
    Mayo! Mayo with lime is the best.
    Avocado dressing
    Fake grilled chicken patties or strips. (Any low in carbs)
    Almonds, walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts
    lots and lots of water. I use lots of crystal light and sugar free Hawaiian punch flavoring packets. HP watermelon is my fav.

Sometimes I will use a tiny bit of soy sauce for flavor. I love it with butter.

I have a lot of baking supplies to include almond and coconut powder and psyllium husk powder. There are expensive and not needed, unless you want to make tasty low carb bread or buns.

Oh and cream cheese!
    I've been trying to drink less diet soda.. but I do love diet root beer!

Atkins and Russell Stovers gives me horrible gas and other...stuff.. so just a word of warning. The artificial sweeteners they use do not agree with me.. and a lot of others.

Hope this helps someone somewhere. :smile:
  • Dangerrosive
    Dangerrosive Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I should mention that I am a 29/f/5'2" 142lbs goal weight 110 lbs, and my macros are very strict. 15 grams of carbs a day max. Just made the change from 20. I started at 25.

Also *Havarti cheese. ^ ^ oops.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    First of all ,lol at being vegetarian and eating fish,that's not a vegetarian, I think people call is fishtarian or some weird name.
    Second, I agree with the rest of people here, I am myself a vegan I doubt I could unless I lived on nuts and protein shakes . Anyone here may have tried though
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    First of all ,lol at being vegetarian and eating fish,that's not a vegetarian, I think people call is fishtarian or some weird name.
    Second, I agree with the rest of people here, I am myself a vegan I doubt I could unless I lived on nuts and protein shakes . Anyone here may have tried though
    That's pescetarian.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

fishatarian.

lulz. pescatarian.

also but WAI would you do this?
  • Katzedernacht
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

fishatarian.

lulz. pescatarian.

Yo english is not my mother tongue and we don't have that word here you either consume animal flesh or you don't hence vegetarian or non vegetarian.

:pensive:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

fishatarian.

lulz. pescatarian.

Yo english is not my mother tongue and we don't have that word here you either consume animal flesh or you don't hence vegetarian or non vegetarian.

wasn't laughing AT you- it was just funny.

the" but wai" question was more directed to vegetarian keto- not you LOL

as for the fish thing- some people think fish don't qualify as animal meat- which is beyond me to comprehend- but yes- there is a completely separate term for people who eat no meat other than that of fish. (although- I'm sure many pescatarians eat eggs regularly- my fiance's roommate does)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I never understood the keto diet. I thought it was to reduce seizures in epilepsy patients... Sounds unnecessarily restrictive and not researched enough to know if there are long term dangers with eating like that.
  • Katzedernacht
    Options

fishatarian.

lulz. pescatarian.

wasn't laughing AT you- it was just funny.

the" but wai" question was more directed to vegetarian keto- not you LOL

as for the fish thing- some people think fish don't qualify as animal meat- which is beyond me to comprehend- but yes- there is a completely separate term for people who eat no meat other than that of fish. (although- I'm sure many pescatarians eat eggs regularly- my fiance's roommate does)

Ahhh ok ,thanks for making it clear ,yes it's funny lol.
    And agree on the fish not qualifying as an animal,why on earth? beats me

I've never heard of a vegetarian wanting to go keto either,like ever in my 32 years of being alive.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Regularly get vegetarian s asking how to do Atkins. Given they're a small minority it surprised me too.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i imagine it would involve a lot of eggs (no carbs) and higher-protein milk products (not fluid milk, due to lactose, but perhaps greek yogurt) as well as nuts, protein shakes, whatever. i agree it may be impossible for vegans.
  • Katzedernacht
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »
    i imagine it would involve a lot of eggs (no carbs) and higher-protein milk products (not fluid milk, due to lactose, but perhaps greek yogurt) as well as nuts, protein shakes, whatever. i agree it may be impossible for vegans.

Yes,impossible ... unless...protein shakes and a an insane quantity of nuts but that seems pretty bad..well no, I'm not attracted by the idea