FITBIT Verdict?

Options

Replies

• jhard728
    jhard728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    really like my Flex mostly due to being very competitive and when there is a goal in something I need to hit it. 11,000 steps per day not that difficult if you make a conscious effort to get up and move more throughout the day.
  • yrvenable35
    yrvenable35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So with the Fitbit, how does that work with recording your workout stats/calories burned in MyFitnessPal? Does it make it difficult to record? I'm curious because I will be buying a Gym Boss (run:walk intervals), but was also considering the Fitbit. Thanks!
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Jury is out on whether I should invest in one or not . Thoughts?

In all honesty is a personal preference. I love that I have a clock on my wrist because I don't think I would look right with a flashy watch. It also makes you get up and walk! I love my xbox and the Gamerscore I have with it so the true is some people just love to watch there numbers, if you can relate a little then go for it
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't see the point. I'm a big fan of the TDEE method (using online calculators to estimate, then tweaking when you see scale results). Because it's so much simpler and not at all stressful. You don't worry about logging exercise, or figuring out how much you EXACTLY burned, or eating back vs not eating back, as long you're seeing results. You just eat the same amount every day and lose weight.

Plus there are zero finnicky tech things to worry about. And, it is free.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit One for three years and purchased the Charge HR three months ago. I am a definite Fitbit addict and find it very motivating. I love the Charge HR better than the One. I also wear a Polar HRM when doing cardio and they are always within 2-3 numbers if not identical when it comes to my heart rate.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    But I can see how it might be motivating for some people, if it makes them do more steps to reach a certain goal.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So with the Fitbit, how does that work with recording your workout stats/calories burned in MyFitnessPal? Does it make it difficult to record? I'm curious because I will be buying a Gym Boss (run:walk intervals), but was also considering the Fitbit. Thanks!

Depends. I chose not to link my fitbit to MFP and use it purely for step motivation. I do go through the calorie burn for the past 30 days and take an average and use that as my daily goal; I don't like the day to day fluctuations though.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd count mine as motivational, but it is very useful and I do like having it.

It syncs with MFP, which is what I do. If you have one with a heart rate monitor, it's pretty accurate on your calories burned, and you don't have to calculate when your exercise is and how much you've burned. That's probably the most useful part of mine, and once I got it set up and calibrated, it's been VERY helpful!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Zip. It is the lowest priced in the line. It gives me data I want and I love. There are lots of options for use for motivation. Motivation is an individual thing, I am not competitive with anyone but myself. It helps me track increases in activity which is one of my goals. I find it accurate at tracking my cardio activity. It is always with me so I don't have to do the calculations.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I bought my Flex for the specific purpose of tracking my sleep. I do not get a lot of sleep to begin with (usually about 4.5-5 hours a night) and wanted to see if what I was getting was decent. I have had the Flex for 2 years now and still love it. I find it motivating to get those last few steps in to reach a goal every day if need be.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I got a surge.. love it... barely taken it off since feb :-)
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It is up to you, but I read that most people who have a fitness tracker have put theirs in a drawer and no longer use it.

I find what you have read very hard to believe. I am of the camp that just because you read it it is true. Everyone I know that has one has continued using theirs and has upgraded at one point or the other! I know that is true of me. Everyone I worked with has one. After 2-3 years they all still use it. I am sure you will hear that here too!
  • lisapetker
    lisapetker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love mine and I have been using my Flex for close to 2 years. It is motivating to do the challenges with friends. It is also fun to watch progress. I will be upgrading to the Surge here soon. I compared it to the Microsoft Band, and as much as I like Microsoft, Fitbit just outshines the band. If I were you, I would buy it. You won't regret it
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I bought one and it really did motivate me at first. I made sure I got in 10,000 steps every single day. Now... I wear it every day, but I rarely make any of my goals anymore. So basically, it's just a really expensive bracelet.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've only been using mine for two weeks, but I really like it. I like the integration with MFP to automatically adjust calories based on daily activity, especially since my activity varies greatly from day to day. I would advise looking into which model would work best for you if you are interested (for instance, I work with my hands a lot so I did not get a wrist one lest it count all my arm movement during the day as steps).

You could always get the Zip (cheapest one) and see if you like it. Or maybe you can find someone with one and barrow it for a week.
  • rjsnau
    rjsnau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit zip and love it! It is pretty cheap at $59 or even less on amazon and it gives me motivation to hit my goals everyday. I also like that it adjusts my calories on MFP so it is motivation to get to the gym or go for a walk if I know I can have a little extra food. I tried MFP a few years ago and burned out because some days I got so hungry I couldn't take it. Now on those days I just go for a walk or a run and see that I can have an extra 200 calories. Highly rewarding and has allowed me to stick with MFP and lose 35 pounds since the start of the year.
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love mine. My husband bought me the Charge HR in February, and it really helps to keep me on track. We also got the FitBit Aria scale which also directly links to MFP, as well. They've both been wonderful investments in our health.
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've had the Charge HR for about 4 months now. I love it, but I'll admit to my excitement having faded recently. I was getting too hung up on step counts to the point of overdoing it. I've let go of my need to see X amount of steps. I get 60-90 minutes of exercise 6 days per week and my scale consistenly moves downward. I did really love that it got me motivated to move, but now that I have momentum, I don't really feel like it's necessary. But it's different for everyone!
  • zidine100
    zidine100 Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    They are glorious, I used to go on long walks and severely underestimate the distance walked before i got one (pun intended as I own a one). As it turns out those five mile walks are more along the lines of ten miles and those ten were more along the lines of twenty, it makes me feel more in control of my daily calories instead of it being a fixed amount set up by a arbitrary selection of four options, id recomend getting one but its up to you. One tip if you do get one, make sure to measure your stride length.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I'm going ask my family to kick in for a FitBit One for my birthday.