FITBIT Verdict?

Options
Jury is out on whether I should invest in one or not . Thoughts?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's entirely dependent on you. Would you find it motivating? Are you interested in knowing your steps? What's your budget like - some people find the cost for a Fitbit extortionate, others wouldn't think twice about spending that much on something.

Personally I love mine, I find it really useful and am really glad I bought it. But not everyone feels the same.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It really motivates me to move!
    Best investment I ever made!
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It certainly helps keep me motivated and up moving. I would encourage it, personally, but like it's been said before, it's entirely up to you.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I love mine
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One, it replaced my old Ultra. I love it, it helps get me up and moving around during the day.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It really motivates me to move!
    Best investment I ever made!

+1
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I love my zip, loved my flex too

Data appeals to me ..and I was chronically lazy so it helped me over the hump of becoming a generally fit and active person

I don't like the HRM ones though (I use a polar ft4 for workouts where HRM is relevant ...told you, datageek)
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I thought I would get bored of mine after 2 weeks but it's 2 months later and I'm still wearin it and checking the data most days.
  • nursejulia1
    nursejulia1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love mine it is super motivating. Many people at work have them and we do challenges frequently so it keeps me moving more :smiley:
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin version (Vivofit) and LOVE it. It was the catalyst for getting my butt off the couch and tracking my food with MFP. I honestly don't think I'd be losing without it.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit flex. Just seeing how much I burn in a day motivates me. Having it made me realize I don't have to drastically cut my calorie intake to lose weight.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I went with the Garmin Vivoactive, but the Fitbits work very well too.

Very motivational and tracks everything for you so you don't have to, which gives you more time to be more active.
  • nicholen76
    nicholen76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I honestly love mine, like everyone else.It really does keep me motivated and accountable for exercising..I like when I sync it (which is quite often) i like to see how many more steps I have taken
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I was like you- not sure if I really wanted one for months before taking the plunge. I bought a One at the end of June. I didn't want something around my wrist and the One clips on to your clothes. I really like it! I'm very close to maintenance now and I mainly got it for that- hoping it'll be a useful tool to keep on track with my CICO so I don't slowly gain the weight back. It syncs really nicely with MFP too.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    The best part for me is the challenges you can create with friends. Don't want anyone to see I've only taken 5k steps today! lol
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is up to you, but I read that most people who have a fitness tracker have put theirs in a drawer and no longer use it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It is up to you, but I read that most people who have a fitness tracker have put theirs in a drawer and no longer use it.

Does that include all people (including inactive people who bought one hoping it would motivate them to be more active)?

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Go for it! I have the One (I don't like the idea of wearing the wristband ones...seems ugly) and have been using it on and off (mostly on) for nearly 2 years now. It can get a little boring after a while, but you can do challenges with friends to help keep you motivated to move.

I mostly love the data now -- here's an screenshot from my dashboard about the last month:
    0nr1s5587ro2.png

An average of: 14,446 steps per day /2,293 calories burned.

Or the data for a specific time period (I did April 1-July 1):
    nyf5ohi139tk.png

An average of: 14,509 steps per day / 2,378 calories burned.

So I can see that, over time (at least in these warmer months!), I average ~14,500 steps and burn ~2,300 calories per day. I've found that personally, the calorie counts are pretty spot on as I've turned on the MFP adjustments and I've lost weight at the projected rate. It's also helpful for me to see that I can eat ~2,000 per day to lose 1/2 lb a week or ~1,800 for 1 lb, etc.

That alone really makes it worth it for me, it takes a lot of the guesswork out of losing weight for me. Just be careful not to throw it in the laundry, they don't like that 8)

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Does that include all people (including inactive people who bought one hoping it would motivate them to be more active)?

Yes, even those who got one for Christmas and had no desire to use it, so I don't know what that means for more active people. But let's just say I won't be buying FitBit stock anytime soon.