Trying to gain weight.. Feeling sick and lethargic constantly :(

Options
Hi all, just wondering if this is normal for an underweight person to feel this way? And how long it lasts, thanks x

Replies

• belly325
    belly325 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    While gaining! Forgot that part :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've never been underweight. The only times I've felt as you've described were when I I've had a virus or I wasn't eating enough. Do you feel that way when you eat or shortly afterwards?
  • belly325
    Options
    After & during eating :/ I think or hope it's because my body isn't use to eating so much so frequently, so I'm hoping with time by body will get use to it, it's just annoying because all I want to do is sleep :( x
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Are you eating carb heavy? Try switching to more fruits, vegetables, and protein. Go for a quiet walk after eating.
  • belly325
    Options
    Yeah I'm eating carb heavy foods, as veggies tend to be low cal content :/ I'm worried about walking afterwards incase the food ive eaten comes bk up again lol but ill give it a try lol thanks x
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Here's how you can make a salad high calorie. Put a full-fat dressing on it with dried fruit, cheese (i.e. feta) and nuts.

If you are worried about bringing up the food, eat smaller portions spread out. Walk close to home, in circles if you have to.
  • belly325
    Options
    Ok thank you :) x
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here's how you can make a salad high calorie. Put a full-fat dressing on it with dried fruit, cheese (i.e. feta) and nuts.

If you are worried about bringing up the food, eat smaller portions spread out. Walk close to home, in circles if you have to.

what she said. or snack on nuts alone. nut butters are good too.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've been there, it sucks. Also the always feeling full.
    My list of tips:
    1) eat nutrient dense food (see sticky in nutrition section)
    2) drink your calories (proteine shake, milk, soda, doesn't matter)
    3) full fat everything. (So full fat milk, real butter, full yoghurt. Fills about the same for extra calories)
    4) eat at regular times, your body will now come to expect it, creating the hunger feeling. Increasing portion size is easier when hungry.
    5) take it real slow. Your body will gently adjust with you.

Also, here on the forum one of the most repeated things is eating spoons of peanut butter. Very calorie rich.

I lost about 18 lbs in 6 months and became underweight, it took me about two years to gain it all back. It is a slow process, but you must slowly teach your body to adjust to large portion sizes.

Also, there is nothing wrong with eating "unhealthy" foods like chips, ice cream, etc to reach those calories.

But imo 1&2 are most important.
  • belly325
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I've been there, it sucks. Also the always feeling full.
    My list of tips:
    1) eat nutrient dense food (see sticky in nutrition section)
    2) drink your calories (proteine shake, milk, soda, doesn't matter)
    3) full fat everything. (So full fat milk, real butter, full yoghurt. Fills about the same for extra calories)
    4) eat at regular times, your body will now come to expect it, creating the hunger feeling. Increasing portion size is easier when hungry.
    5) take it real slow. Your body will gently adjust with you.

Also, here on the forum one of the most repeated things is eating spoons of peanut butter. Very calorie rich.

I lost about 18 lbs in 6 months and became underweight, it took me about two years to gain it all back. It is a slow process, but you must slowly teach your body to adjust to large portion sizes.

Also, there is nothing wrong with eating "unhealthy" foods like chips, ice cream, etc to reach those calories.

But imo 1&2 are most important.

Aww, thank you so much that exactly how I feel :) I think this info gonna help massively as I'm not eating at particular times ( due to not feeling hungry) so I'm going to try and stick to certain hours of the day :) thanx again
  • bubblegirl57
    bubblegirl57 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem after eating, but its starting to get a bit better now. Hope you start feeling better soon aswell
  • belly325
    Options
    I also have this problem after eating, but its starting to get a bit better now. Hope you start feeling better soon aswell

Thanks I hope so 2 :)
  • bubblegirl57
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you want some support or someone to talk to
  • myst086
    myst086 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started hitting the gym recently and my goal is to reach 185, (i'm now 170). I started a high protein/Calorie diet (3300 calories a day) and the 1st 2-3 days i felt really sick as my body wasnt used to such a high caloric intake. I dropped down a little bit and started raising my intake slowly. I'm up to 3000 a day now and feel great. Another 300 calories to be added this week and i should be ok. Just take the intake slowly and let your body get used to it.
  • belly325
    Options
  • belly325
    Options
    myst086 wrote: »
    I just started hitting the gym recently and my goal is to reach 185, (i'm now 170). I started a high protein/Calorie diet (3300 calories a day) and the 1st 2-3 days i felt really sick as my body wasnt used to such a high caloric intake. I dropped down a little bit and started raising my intake slowly. I'm up to 3000 a day now and feel great. Another 300 calories to be added this week and i should be ok. Just take the intake slowly and let your body get used to it.

Yeah maybe I'm taking on alittle to much I'm trying to gain and maintain :/ maybe ill try and maintain for a little while get use to that and slowly increase it over time x
  • belly325
    Options
    belly325 wrote: »

You may need to add me :/ I'm new and can't work out how to add ppl lol x
  • bubblegirl57
    Options