I gained weight, but lost inches??

Options
I have been trying to lose the weight I gained while on medication. My starting weight was 183 pounds in February. I do the elliptical almost every night, and I cut my calories to 1400 at most a day. I have also lost 5 inches on my waist and hips. When I weighed myself 5 months later, I gained 1 pound and lost nothing. How is this possible?
I also take martial arts 3 days a week.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Inches trump pounds, WTG!
  • jjmusgrave
    jjmusgrave Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle and losing fat. Fat has more volume than muscle. One of my pet peeves is when people say muscle weighs more than fat. Not True. A pound of muscle is equal to one pound of fat, but fat takes up a lot more space. So as you are losing fat, you are losing inches. And gaining muscle is the weight gain. Which is a good thing.
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. You are probably gaining some lean mass that offsets the weight of the fat you have lost. The scale is just one indicator and can be misleading.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    jjmusgrave wrote: »
    You are gaining muscle and losing fat. Fat has more volume than muscle. One of my pet peeves is when people say muscle weighs more than fat. Not True. A pound of muscle is equal to one pound of fat, but fat takes up a lot more space. So as you are losing fat, you are losing inches. And gaining muscle is the weight gain. Which is a good thing.
    You are probably gaining some lean mass that offsets the weight of the fat you have lost.

Doing cardio 7 days a week and cutting to 1400 calories? Doubtful....
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    IMO smaller beats lighter all day every day.

I'd VERY gladly stay at 155 pounds if I could be my old size 6/8 again :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    You are probably gaining some lean mass that offsets the weight of the fat you have lost.

it's not impossible for OP to have gained some muscle if OP has been constantly increasing resistance & is short enough for 1400 to be a small cut
  • tottie3912
    tottie3912 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congrats to losing 5 inches!! That's awesome. I agree with the other posters here.
  • RGv2
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

it's not impossible for OP to have gained some muscle if OP has been constantly increasing resistance & is short enough for 1400 to be a small cut

Resistance on a cardio machine isn't going to provide enough progressive overload to increase mass so much that it causes a 1lb gain on the scale after 5months of trying to cut.

I tossed OPs stats age/wt/reported exercise into a TDEE calculator and still had 1400 calories at TDEE -30% if the OP was 2ft tall.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Resistance on a cardio machine isn't going to provide enough progressive overload to increase mass so much that it causes a 1lb gain on the scale after 5months of trying to cut.

I tossed OPs stats age/wt/reported exercise into a TDEE calculator and still had 1400 calories at TDEE -30% if the OP was 2ft tall.

She said she does martial arts 3 days/week. That would absolutely be enough to lose fat and gain muscle in 5 months.
  • BlackRose278
    BlackRose278 Posts: 37 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I did not know there would be these many replies in such a short amount of time! Thank you so much for your help everyone, it really did give me some great insight on what's going on :smile:

For RGv2: I have a fitbit account and pedometer/heart rate monitor, and it gave me a calorie goal of 1400 calories if I wish to lose 1 pound a week. For guys, it's probably different. But, for me, I'd have to cut 500 calories out of my diet to lose 1 pound a week.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

She said she does martial arts 3 days/week. That would absolutely be enough to lose fat and gain muscle in 5 months.

Oh dang I missed that. Yeah that would do it (probably not the elliptical). I was in the best shape of my life when I did kickboxing.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Can this be what's happening to me then I've been doing body combst aggressively 4 times a week for 3 weeks now and noticed no loss on them scales in fact I'm up half a pound. I do bouts of kick boxing. Boxing taekwondo and hitt
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit account and pedometer/heart rate monitor, and it gave me a calorie goal of 1400 calories if I wish to lose 1 pound a week.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Most martial arts classes aren't using weights, so they really aren't providing providing a workout for progressive overload. And considering the average person can fluctuate several lbs a day, I wouldn't be surprised if she was retaining some water. Heck, I can have chinese food and the next morning but up 5-7 lbs.

OP, can you open your food diary? Also, weigh yourself a couple more times this week and watch the trends.
  • RGv2
    edited July 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Most martial arts classes aren't using weights, so they really aren't providing providing a workout for progressive overload. And considering the average person can fluctuate several lbs a day, I wouldn't be surprised if she was retaining some water. Heck, I can have chinese food and the next morning but up 5-7 lbs.

OP, can you open your food diary? Also, weigh yourself a couple more times this week and watch the trends.

Yep, 100% ageed.

It would be a hell of a gain in muscle mass, doing cardio, at a deficit of TDEE -over 30% to cancel out a loss on the scale.
  • BlackRose278
    Options
    Wow! I am so sorry i didnt post back! I am actually really happy with how I look so far: my clothes are looser, my body is shrinking, my bathing suit is so big that I have to constantly make sure I don't flash anyone now!
    Personally, I prefer body measurements and checking my body fat percentage compared to weighing myself: I get extreme anxiety with the scale and I would prefer to be toned and healthy than skinny with more fat compared to muscle.
    I am glad for all the replies guys and gals, it means a lot :smiley:
  • BlackRose278
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I have a fitbit account and pedometer/heart rate monitor, and it gave me a calorie goal of 1400 calories if I wish to lose 1 pound a week.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I didn't know there was an "enable negative calorie adjustment"! That will help a lot!
  • RGv2
    Options
    I did not know there would be these many replies in such a short amount of time! Thank you so much for your help everyone, it really did give me some great insight on what's going on :smile:

For RGv2: I have a fitbit account and pedometer/heart rate monitor, and it gave me a calorie goal of 1400 calories if I wish to lose 1 pound a week. For guys, it's probably different. But, for me, I'd have to cut 500 calories out of my diet to lose 1 pound a week.

Yes, I understand that it would be different for guys. I figured out an estimate for your TDEE at your age/wt, and exercise level... There was no way your TDEE was only 1900 calories for your age/wt and how much you exercise per your OP.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Measuring in only 2 places isn't really going to tell you much. You could simply be shifting water weight around, or losing fat around your middle and retaining water elsewhere.