Running Shoes

Options
2»

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    OP, do you track the mileage on your shoes, to know how long they're actually lasting? Most models should hold up for 300-500 miles.

As for going to the running store, you can tell them you haven't been happy with Asics and want to try other brands. Everyone's preferences are different and the store employees should be able to pull a model from another brand that works for your gait for you to try.

If you know your gait, you can try some models of other brands until you find something you like by yourself. All the major brands' websites should list what kind of gait their shoes are for. Someone else mentioned getting a lower-end model, and I agree, since you don't run that much per week.

I use them for working out/running for 6 months, then also wear them at work for another six months, then buy a brand new pair just for running/working out for the next six months, etc. I usually spend $100-110 once a year and that's not a big deal for me. I've gotten cheap New Balances before from Kohl's and gave them away after wearing them for a week.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love my brooks ghost 6. Getting ready to get a new pair. Already eying the amazon July 15 day. They don't last as long as I would like but I think it's because they are soft and comfortable.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Go to your running store. Ask them to analyse your gait etc. They'll give you a selection of shoes which fit you.

This part, I'd agree with.
    Don't buy them.

Go to Amazon.

Buy the shoes.

You'll probably save some money.

Don't be a parasite.

fwiw your local running store will be able to help if the shoes you buy aren't right for you, many have a decent return policy. Some also have associated running clubs, coaching opportunities etc as well.

• sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I agree with supporting local running stores. They have been a lifesaver for me. Everything from foot, to calf to energy help. My feet do well with Brooks, and they tend to last 9-10 months for me, running average of 9-10 miles per week.
  • racheln2017
    racheln2017 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    With the buy them on amazon instead, as good of an idea as that is, you have to be really careful with amazon. A lot of knockoffs.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Where will you go when all the local stores are gone? Good luck guessing which shoe you need online.

I always get my new shoes locally. I then order a second pair online. I usually find I only save $20 anyway.

I like the shoes I guessed would work for me that I bought online better than the ones the running store that analyzed my gait put me in. It's not like they aren't human, and they don't always know best.

The last time I went to the running store for advice, I did buy the shoes from them. But I didn't so much have a gait analysis as insist that I wanted a neutral shoe in a "traditional" style as a backup to the minimal shoes I actually prefer. I was offered 6 choices, one of which the salesguy tried to trick me with a pair to "correct" my overpronation - but I could feel the difference, and I said Nope. When I came home with my new purchase, I checked online to see how much I could have saved, but I couldn't even find a better deal, anyway.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I love Asics
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

Also, IF you go to a running store and get fitted again, buy that pair of shoes AT YOUR RUNNING STORE. They did you a solid; return the favor. :) Then order future pairs online. I like Running Warehouse, personally, or 6pm for last year's models cheap.
    [/quote]

Agree with this, I don't think you save enough money to make that right.

I used to love Brooks, but the last pair I bought I did not lie, I am using Asics right now. I don't run a ton, but walk and wear them in the gym, so I am probably not a good bench mark for how long they will last. I end up doing a mud run once a year and get rid of the old and buy new then :)

• Runningman_78
    Runningman_78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love Asics
    me too! I made the mistake of going with some Nike Pegasus and haven't been impressed as I have been with every pair of Asics Ive had. I'd rather have a shoe that fits perfect and doest last as long over a shoe that lasts longer but ins't as good.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Go to your running store. Ask them to analyse your gait etc. They'll give you a selection of shoes which fit you.

Don't buy them.

Go to Amazon.

Buy the shoes.

Better idea: go to the running store, get fitted, then shoplift them. Same difference. IOW, you're a shmuck.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I just bought new running shoes. I tried on *every* style & brand in the store (yeah, I'm sure the aattendant ((loved)) me!). I ended up in a pair of Nike Pegasus. Nike never used to feel good on my feet, but these are so awesome I'm buying a backup pair this week.

These specific shoes help me with a mid-foot strike instead of heel. I'm sure that varies depending on the individual, but it works for me.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I wear Asics GT-2000 running shoes. I bought them from Amazon after I googled best shoes for knee pain. It directed me toward stability shoes and after googling best stability shoes I ended up at the Asics.

Prior to the Asics, I was running in Nike running shoes that were too small... I know, idiotic, but when I was younger it didn't seem to matter what I ran in...

Now, I stick with the Asics - I've gotten 2 good pairs off Amazon, 1 pair ended up being too tight and I had to give those away. The pair I'm wearing now (my 4th purchase), feel ok, but there's something in the toe area that feels rough. Thicker socks help, but then they feel tight.

So I think it's good to be able to try the shoe on that you'll be purchasing - even among the same model, they can feel different. I think my next pair will be purchased from a store where I can try the shoes on before buying to make sure they feel right.

I do track my mileage and switch new ones when I hit 500 miles.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Don't buy them.

Go to Amazon.

Buy the shoes.

Lame. Very lame.

funjen1972 wrote: »
    I just bought new running shoes. I tried on *every* style & brand in the store (yeah, I'm sure the aattendant ((loved)) me!).

When I first bought running shoes from my local running store the salesman brought out eight pair for me to try on. Of those pair, I found one that I thought was great, but he continued to bring out more shoes. I bet I tried on at least 12 pair and the pair I ended up with was not the same pair I first thought were the ones I wanted. After we narrowed it down to those two, he had me run in each pair for a couple of blocks. When it was still too close to call, I wore one of each and ran some more.

I've been back to that store several times since.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Where will you go when all the local stores are gone? Good luck guessing which shoe you need online. I always get my new shoes locally. I then order a second pair online. I usually find I only save $20 anyway.

To see the effect of disappearing stores all you have to do is look around North America, every town no matter its size used to have a Grocery store, Hardware store, Automotive/Machinery store, Pharmacy etc (or 2-3 ). Now with online shopping and Big Box stores these smaller communities are slowly dying as the stores close due to low sales. Protect your local stores as you don't realize how important they are until they are gone. Ask anyone who had their local grocery store close.
    I had shoes that came apart at the Toe - sole junction, walked into "My Store" and they examined them and one look at the lack of wear on the treads and gave me a replacement plus a store credit - no questions - no problems. Try that with your on-line store. The replacement shoes - I got over 5oo km on them before they started to lose their support and break down.

More than one person has got " a great deal on line " to find out later that it was a cheap knock off.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Alright, I bought a pair of aisics kayano on amazon and I tried running in them and they were super uncomfortable so I went to OKRunner and dude helped me pick out Brooks Ghost. I'm super excited, they were so comfortable jogging around the store, lol. They had to order the style I wanted so I have to wait till the end of the week to get them. Hopefully I'll be able to start focusing on longer distances now without as much worry about injury.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Alright, I bought a pair of aisics kayano on amazon and I tried running in them and they were super uncomfortable so I went to OKRunner and dude helped me pick out Brooks Ghost. I'm super excited, they were so comfortable jogging around the store, lol. They had to order the style I wanted so I have to wait till the end of the week to get them. Hopefully I'll be able to start focusing on longer distances now without as much worry about injury.

Good on you for buying from a local store! Hope these work out for you! :grin:
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options

I'm also glad that you went to the local running store. If you like the shoe a lot and want to save money in the future, wait until they are about to release the new/next version and go back to the store and buy a couple pairs of your current version when they go on sale. I always have a couple pairs of sale steals stashed in my closet.