Gaining muscle weight, but not losing fat???

Options
Good afternoon, i have been back into getting myself in shape. I have been lifting weights 3-5 days a week. While i have been gaining weight, i know its due my increased protein intake and heavy lifting. I know that there is still alot of work to do to get the results that im looking for as well as cleaning up my diet as well. It seems that the fat in numerous parts of my body seem the stay there. Is there anything that can be suggested to help increase fat burning and keep the muscle that is building? I do want to lose weight, but dont want to lose the hard work that took me to get that muscle either.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight, muscle or fat, you are eating at a caloric surplus. If your goal is keep the same weight, you need to eat at maintenance and continue to lift heavy. That will let you "recomp" your body and shed fat while gaining muscle. This process can be much slower than the standard bulk/cut cycles according to most.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Do you think you're eating at a deficit?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »

No, he said he is gaining weight.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Right or wrong, his post suggests that he might believe he is building muscle while eating at a deficit.

• SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If you are gaining weight, muscle or fat, you are eating at a caloric surplus. If your goal is keep the same weight, you need to eat at maintenance and continue to lift heavy. That will let you "recomp" your body and shed fat while gaining muscle. This process can be much slower than the standard bulk/cut cycles according to most.

This. You'll either have to eat at maintenance with a cleaner diet and let your body lean out over time or do a cut. Cardio or plyo work also helps as much as I hate it.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

Right or wrong, his post suggests that he might believe he is building muscle while eating at a deficit.

If he's gaining weight he's gaining some amount of fat while gaining muscle. Like you said, a recomp is necessary to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, assuming he has newbie gains to be gained.
  • Hornsby
    Options

This. You'll either have to eat at maintenance with a cleaner diet and let your body lean out over time or do a cut. Cardio or plyo work also helps as much as I hate it.

Please don't agree with me and then throw in hogwash about "clean" diets :) Thanks!
  • Hornsby
    Options

If he's gaining weight he's gaining some amount of fat while gaining muscle. Like you said, a recomp is necessary to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, assuming he has newbie gains to be gained.

I know the process...lol. I was just saying that the guy who asked if he "thought" he was eating at a deficit. Not that he actually is. I think he was trying to gain some insight on what the OP thinks is happening. That is all.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

I know the process...lol. I was just saying that the guy who asked if he "thought" he was eating at a deficit. Not that he actually is. I think he was trying to gain some insight on what the OP thinks is happening. That is all.

Oh, gotcha. It's a valid question then.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    :shake:
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Please don't agree with me and then throw in hogwash about "clean" diets :) Thanks!

I didn't say eat clean. I said cleaner as the OP said he felt he needs to clean up his diet. Eat clean, eat flexible. Doesn't matter to me. Whatever you feel like will give you the results you want.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Yup
  • Hornsby
    Options

I didn't say eat clean. I said cleaner as the OP said he felt he needs to clean up his diet. Eat clean, eat flexible. Doesn't matter to me. Whatever you feel like will give you the results you want.

All in fun. Promise
  • galgenstrick
    edited July 2015
    Options

But cleaner eating isn't necessarily going to give better results is the problem with the statement. Assuming you mean eat nutrient dense foods, then that's critical for overall health, but not necessarily muscle gains and fat loss which is OPs concern.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Exactly and that's what I was trying to clarify. I believe the OP is trying to lose weight and thinks he's eating at a deficit and the weight gain is due to muscle.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Exactly and that's what I was trying to clarify. I believe the OP is trying to lose weight and thinks he's eating at a deficit and the weight gain is due to muscle.

That's the impression I got as well.

FWIW, etc.
  • dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    All valid points. Maybe i should clarify a bit more. I do keep track of what i eat, but i wanted to gain more muscle while i was trying to burn the fat. My BMI last time i checked was 32% and can be seen mostly in the mid section. I know that cardio would help alot since i use to play alot of basketball, but now that im trying to gain the muscle while leaning out what can be suggested to achieve that goal. Also if i did happen to increase my cardio, should i increase my protein intake while decreasing calorie intake?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    At 32% you have a lot of "leaning out" to do. Why not focus on that first? Keep the deficit moderate and stay active...

Are you looking to specifically make visually bigger muscles, or is the goal to get stronger?