Smoothies that'll fill you up.

Options
Hi everyone, Does anyone have awesome recipes for smoothies that'll leave you feeling full?
I have started substituting my breakfast and lunch with healthy smoothies but I have noticed that some recipes that have lots of apple don't make me feel full. I also experience the same feeling when I eat an apple, they make me feel hungry.

I really need smoothies that get me through the day without feeling hungry.

Replies

• heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I start my day with a peanut butter, banana chocolate smoothie. Been doing this for over two years. 1/2 banana very ripe and if not frozen, add 2 ice cubes, handful spinach, 1/2 tablespoon all natural peanut butter, about 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder (I like Hershey's found in baking section) and 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Of course you modify it to your taste and sometimes I will though in some flaxseed meal or blueberries for added nutrition.
  • Dex37
    Dex37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup black beans
    1/4 cup oats
    30g protein concentrate
    1 tablespoon of almond butter
    1 banana
    1 tablespoon of natural cocoa powder
    1 cup water with 3 cubes

Calories-510
    Carbs-72
    Protein-38
    Fat-13
    Fiber-16
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Get some fiber in it - raspberries are really great for fiber.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My PB/banana smoothie keeps me full til lunch. If too many calories for you, have less PB or lose the egg. Teeccino is an herbal coffee substitute.

01b82baca27940369b097032f11f7fe6.png

Here's my chocolate/raspberry smoothie:

9405e073467783d22c4a312549cc66eb.png

• opalwisteria
    opalwisteria Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll have to try all those recipes!
    :)
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Adding bran flakes or oats is a great way to bulk up a smoothie. Maybe skip the apples and stick to berries and bananas and other more fillimg fruits. Baby spinach will also add fiber to fill you up without affecting the flavor. If you like the taste of veggies in your smoothies, beets and kale are both excellent.

You might also want to invest in a good protein powder, to help you stay full for longer. I like Gold Standard 100% Whey, personally.
  • Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I agree that oats is a good way to add fiber and help you stay full. Also, use a protein source such as Whey or Egg Whites. You could also add flax seed or chia seed to your drink as well. Good Luck!!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    1 scoop whey protein
    2 cups spinach
    1/3 cup daily flax seed fibre cleanse
    1 cup strawberries
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup pure carrot juice
    1-2 cups unsweetened almond or cashew milk
    And feel free to add more fruit to taste, also try chia and hemp seeds for protein, healthy fats, and fibre. That's my standard breakfast and it ends up being 2 full glasses worth for 450-600 cals with a high nutrient value. Keeps me full till after my workout. Just blend the hell out of it so there's no chunks of spinach. Greens are important so definitely don't Vito them!!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Oh and papaya or banana depending on what I feel like
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Smoothies aren't magic, take the calories and eat real food instead

For 200 cals for breakfast you can have
    100g egg white scrambled with mushrooms, spinach and cheddar cheese on a slice of farmhouse white toast
    170g 0% Greek yogurt with berries
    Porridge, banana and honey

Why drink unfilling liquid instead?
  • opalwisteria
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Smoothies aren't magic, take the calories and eat real food instead

For 200 cals for breakfast you can have
    100g egg white scrambled with mushrooms, spinach and cheddar cheese on a slice of farmhouse white toast
    170g 0% Greek yogurt with berries
    Porridge, banana and honey

Why drink unfilling liquid instead?

To be perfectly honest, I personally just do prefer smoothies. Solid food is just as "unfilling" to me as liquids. So then i'd rather drink a smoothie which I actually can enjoy then eat some foods that I don't enjoy as much.
  • opalwisteria
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    1 scoop whey protein
    2 cups spinach
    1/3 cup daily flax seed fibre cleanse
    1 cup strawberries
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup pure carrot juice
    1-2 cups unsweetened almond or cashew milk
    And feel free to add more fruit to taste, also try chia and hemp seeds for protein, healthy fats, and fibre. That's my standard breakfast and it ends up being 2 full glasses worth for 450-600 cals with a high nutrient value. Keeps me full till after my workout. Just blend the hell out of it so there's no chunks of spinach. Greens are important so definitely don't Vito them!!

This sounds so so good, and no worries I never skip the spinach.
    I have never added chia seeds to my smoothies before, only to yoghurt, do I add them to a smoothie before or after blending?
  • beautychicks
    beautychicks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you juice and blend or just blend(nutribullet).
  • opalwisteria
    Options
    Do you juice and blend or just blend(nutribullet).

I have a juicer so I can do both, but more often I just blend.