Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    how long have you all been dating? This is such a none issue- I can't possibly understand why you would feel uncomfortable. It's just data.

I mean- I brought a food scale home and just started using it- we don't live together- but he was there before the food scale and barely batted an eye at it when I started using it.

He didn't even care when I took it with me to the damn restaurant. (which I have done more than once)

it's science. So if he gives you *kitten* just say Bro- do you even science- and go back to eating.

such a none issue- it shouldn't even register.

I agree with this. Just curious if you use it when he cooks too?

sometimes- but not while he's cooking. If the man's cooking you a delicious meal- don't get in the way!!!!

And it mostly depends on how well I did during the day- if I didn't do well and I have very few calories left over- I'll use it. If I didn't eat much and I have like several hundred calories to eat left for the day- not usually- we mostly eat meats and veggies so its' an easy "guess"

Now. If he opts to make sweet mashed potatoes-or something like that.... I WILL get the scale out. Carbs- I tend to weigh.

But honestly- I don't weigh ever morsel that goes in my mouth. I'm not actively trying to cut at this point and I can maintain my weight pretty well with eyeballing.

We go to pack up left overs- I weigh the left overs to evenly distribute them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    pianofire wrote: »
    Like a lot of people at MFP, I weigh or measure out most of my food apart from low calorie veg. I

I don't mind doing this on my own, but I feel kind of silly when I'm about to share a delicious hearty meal with my boyfriend. We only eat together once or twice a week so I don't want to subject him to my rather bland diet - most of the time the food is not exactly unhealthy, but he uses a lot more butter and cheese and serves about double the amount of meat I can allow myself to eat. We've been together for a long time so he knows that I can easily eat him under the table with pride, so I'm a bit embarrassed now that I weigh all of my food.

I always serve him first and I wait until he sits down so he can't see me weighing my food and divvying out a pathetic little amount of rich food onto my plate.

I'm sure he'd only find it endearing or slightly eccentric, but I can't help but feel a little pathetic because I'm not overweight or anything, I just want to lose a few kg!

Does anyone else feel like this?
    Off topic but have you farted in front of him yet? If so, the weighing thing is trivial.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Like a lot of people at MFP, I weigh or measure out most of my food apart from low calorie veg. I

I don't mind doing this on my own, but I feel kind of silly when I'm about to share a delicious hearty meal with my boyfriend. We only eat together once or twice a week so I don't want to subject him to my rather bland diet - most of the time the food is not exactly unhealthy, but he uses a lot more butter and cheese and serves about double the amount of meat I can allow myself to eat. We've been together for a long time so he knows that I can easily eat him under the table with pride, so I'm a bit embarrassed now that I weigh all of my food.

I always serve him first and I wait until he sits down so he can't see me weighing my food and divvying out a pathetic little amount of rich food onto my plate.

I'm sure he'd only find it endearing or slightly eccentric, but I can't help but feel a little pathetic because I'm not overweight or anything, I just want to lose a few kg!

Off topic but have you farted in front of him yet? If so, the weighing thing is trivial.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

valid.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Let 'em fly. If they walk, it wasn't meant to be.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I hate when my bf weighs food, but that's only because he takes so long with it. Most of the time, I will have weighed and started eating by the time he's putting the food on the scale. Seriously considering getting a His and Hers set.
  • Snowhappens
    Snowhappens Posts: 28 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ha so true! It took a little while for my husband to really understand my challenges with my weight (long after we passed the farting mark). But now he's on board with it and willing to put up with my food quirks.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power, and being aware of portion size is one way you take control of your health and fitness. If that's a problem for either of you, there may be underlying matters which also need to be addressed.

Since my instinct is to serve myself a double portion of some foods, I anticipate I will weigh and log my food for as long as I want to remain fit and healthy, and probably as long as I am in control of my food choices.

If I go out to eat, I do my best to estimate portion sizes and log comparables, which works for the occasional meal away from home. I haven't had occasion to put it to the test for more than three or four days at a stretch though.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My girl is not exactly on board with the whole calorie counting thing (she thinks it leads to anorexia, especially because I also work out every day in some form), so weighing my meal around her is... Well, it leads to tension, to say the least. But just like I still work out around her, I also still weigh my food around her. I am not about to stretch out the weight loss part of my road to fitness just because she has irrational thoughts about it. I just stubbornly weigh my food.

I went through this issue with my girlfriend when I first started logging all my food. It really bothered her. Now I've been logging 3/4 of a year and she accepts it completely. She knows I'm going to do it, that it makes me feel better, and that I'm getting nice results. She's also been a bit more active for the last few months and dropped close to double the weight it's taken me to lose this whole time. Anyway. ... For the OP, just do your thing and don't worry what he thinks.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Huh, maybe it's because we're to the point where we just say "I'm sorry Shaun" instead of bothering with an "excuse me". I do remember the days when I utterly REFUSED to drop a deuce at his place though.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My mom is horrofied at me weighing food ,but my problem is getting enough of it, so she understands, with my friends well... I haven't gone out with them since I've started weighing it... nor do we really go out since they eat meat and I don't... hmm

For the girlfriend part...well I have none ,and when I do, she's not gonna mind cos she's also gonna be fit and stuff. I hope lol
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat food my wife cooked unless she wrote down quantities for her recipes. She got over after a year or so.
  • pianofire
    pianofire Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Hahaha. This is a very good point. For the amount of cruciferous vegetables and beans I eat, I don't think it would be possible for me to not fart in front of him in the four years we've been together. I take no responsibility for the digestive side effects that he is so often subjected to.