Sodium!

Options
wojo316
wojo316 Posts: 3 Member
My biggest issue is my sodium intake. I'm wondering if there are any yummy recipes out there that involve filling food that is low in sodium?

Replies

• pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Any recipe can become low sodium. I have been on a low sodium plan for a little over a year. I still make the same foods that I did before. You can use other herbs and spices, or simply buy a salt substitute. After a while, you will not miss the sodium, in fact, when you do have something with salt, it will be all that you can taste, in the food.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I find that adding lemon or lime juice and/or vinegar helps brighten food like salt would. I like Mrs. Dash Spicy as a substitute for cajun seasoning. I just try to buy low sodium or no salt added can goods. Here is a link to some recipes I have made low sodium. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/p/low-sodium-recipes.html

• bkate24
    bkate24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend the herbs and spices. For me personally, adding some thyme to a recipe gives it the richness of flavor that I want without the salt. Low-sodium broth can also add some depth of flavor, or vinegar like the person above said. I find it really shocking when I look for recipes and see heaps of recipes where the only flavor comes from either cheese or salt - if you're looking online, and you see a recipe that has no flavoring other than cheese/butter, I would usually avoid it because it's probably getting a lot of flavor from salt or fat. Once you get used to using herbs (if you don't already), you'll learn what combinations work and you'll be able to reduce salt and add in herbs on your own.

I'll also second what was said about how you get used to lower levels of salt. It takes a little while, but your tastebuds will adjust to the lower salt level, and then you'll be able to taste salt at lower levels - and prepared foods will taste unbearably salty.

For fullness, beans are the best. I recommend a stew like this one, except make sure that you're using low-sodium broth. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/01/chard-and-white-bean-stew/
  • wojo316
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I find that adding lemon or lime juice and/or vinegar helps brighten food like salt would. I like Mrs. Dash Spicy as a substitute for cajun seasoning. I just try to buy low sodium or no salt added can goods. Here is a link to some recipes I have made low sodium. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/p/low-sodium-recipes.html

Thank you!
  • wojo316
    Options
    bkate24 wrote: »
    I definitely recommend the herbs and spices. For me personally, adding some thyme to a recipe gives it the richness of flavor that I want without the salt. Low-sodium broth can also add some depth of flavor, or vinegar like the person above said. I find it really shocking when I look for recipes and see heaps of recipes where the only flavor comes from either cheese or salt - if you're looking online, and you see a recipe that has no flavoring other than cheese/butter, I would usually avoid it because it's probably getting a lot of flavor from salt or fat. Once you get used to using herbs (if you don't already), you'll learn what combinations work and you'll be able to reduce salt and add in herbs on your own.

I'll also second what was said about how you get used to lower levels of salt. It takes a little while, but your tastebuds will adjust to the lower salt level, and then you'll be able to taste salt at lower levels - and prepared foods will taste unbearably salty.

For fullness, beans are the best. I recommend a stew like this one, except make sure that you're using low-sodium broth. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/01/chard-and-white-bean-stew/

Thanks!
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I feel your pain. Maximize the fresh, unprocessed stuff in your diet, and look at what high sodium foods you're eating. The three big convenience foods I've always allowed myself (cottage cheese, low carb tortillas, and turkey from the deli) are all sodium bombs. So if I'm having a serving of one of these, I avoid the others (grilled chicken wrap, or cold cuts on a salad, for instance, rather than a wrap made with cold cuts.) I have such a taste for salt, but I successfully keep myself at about 2500mg of sodium a day, just by being aware and making sure things balance out.
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Also read your labels and comparison shop! There can be a big difference from one brand to the next
  • autumn_skye
    autumn_skye Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    due to kidney issues, we don't use any added salt in our home and need to shop for no-salt foods out of necessity. It takes time, but eventually you learn to eat food without salt. We keep sodium intake to under 800 mgs/day... PM me if you need a list of brands/products that are sold in no-salt versions