Milk thistle supplement

Options
chadr74
chadr74 Posts: 26 Member
Does anyone have any experience with this supplement? Heard it was for liver health and it would help liver metabolize fat.

Replies

• sheila2323
    sheila2323 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just started taking it... Haven't used it long enough to comment on results, though.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Milk thistle is a weed-like plant native to the Mediterranean region that has a purple flower, closely related to the daisy and dandelion. Milk thistle fruit extract is the same as seed extract. Milk thistle supports healthy liver function. Often used by people with liver disease to reduce related symptoms. Milk thistle has poor water solubility so it doesn't make a good tea. A concentrated capsule or extract form is best.
    Sorry I never heard of it metabolizing fat. ( but that doesn't mean it won't )
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I took it (along with some other supplements) for a few weeks because it was supposed to help reduce cellulite appearance (and other symptoms of lipedema) but I didn't really notice any changes. I was working out too so I'm sure that would have made more of a difference than that pill alone. I meant to take before & after photos but I forgot.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I took it because I was told it was a good supplement for people with mono. Honestly it made my liver hurt really bad so I quit taking it and the problem ceased. Not sure why that happened, could've been the brand or whatever I suppose.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you really want to know the latest research on supplements, I would check out www.examine.com . But most supplements do very little.

To lose weight, you need a deficit. Supplements will not help that.