Loosing weight for the second time

Options
Why is it always a little harder to loose the second time?

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It's not. It's just mental. We get disappointed with ourselves that we have to go through it again.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It's not.
  • CamillaEdwards
    CamillaEdwards Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's not.

Hi, thanks for your reply but please can you elaborate? Thanks :smile:
  • CamillaEdwards
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    It's not. It's just mental. We get disappointed with ourselves that we have to go through it again.

Hi, yes it is so frustrating trying to get back where you once were you're right.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Yes but since you did it before you know you can do it again. You just need to learn from what got you back here to this point again. Why you regained the weight....that's the real issue that we're not asking.
  • Harleyb87
    Harleyb87 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Its 1000% mental once you make up your mind again its not as hard as you think
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Consider it the sequel; you're more committed now, so give 'er Hell, kid.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can only lose for the second time once.
  • micheledarley2012
    micheledarley2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think it's more frustrating, but like the others said, you know you can do it. I was a lifetime weight watcher member and leader and put all the weight back on. But I did it once, I'll do it again. I wS 15 yrs younger too. Lots of factors. I'm taking it a day at a time right now and doing things differently so I don't get upset. I gained it over a year, I'm not going to lose it in 2 months.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Can you tell us how much you lost, how fast you lost it, how fast you gained it back, and how you gained it back?

It may give a clue for someone to better help you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's not harder, it still all comes down to CICO.
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

Unless there's a certified dietician in the audience, I seriously doubt it.

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I have always been able to lose the weight when I make it a priority. This time my major focus and energy will go into what comes after - maintenance! Because I never want to have to do this again. Never, ever. And, I wish it was only my second time. Changing my eating patterns for life is the real challenge, and I think I finally realized it. Good luck on your journey!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    This is far from my second time and it's really not hard. I just had to get into the right head space and stay there.

It was easier when I was taking phen/fen but that turned out to be unsafe. It was also easier when I was in Basic Training and hated the food but had no options and was bored so went for an extra run at night.
  • CamillaEdwards
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Can you tell us how much you lost, how fast you lost it, how fast you gained it back, and how you gained it back?

Hi I lost 44lbs about three years ago. I did this by following the Weightwatchers plan within about 7 months. Looking back it was clearly too fast. I've put about 26lbs back on since over 2 and a half years. I gained it back through not being able to 'stick' to the diet, and just generally binging. I know this time I need to make changes that will last a lifetime so I'm not following the WW plan. Although I still go to my meetings as I help out and love the ladies there.

Thanks for everyone's comments. It's good to know there isn't anything actually making it harder. It's all just in the mind :blush:
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am on my second go 'round also. It took me nearly a month of infrequent weigh-ins and partially logged days to get back into the routine. I've just reached my previous low weight after six months. Once I got started this time I found the process to be easier.

You can do do this!
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I lost around 50 lbs when I was 17 (4 years ago). I maintained a good weight of 124 - 127 lbs (im 5'6) for years. I gained 10 lbs last year though. I've lost 8 of those lbs in the past 2.5 months.
    Doing it a second time has been a lot easier. I know exactly what to do and how to do it. The first time I didn't know how to workout with proper form nor what exercises were effective and fun. Calorie counting the first time was hard because I had to always be looking at nutrition facts. It's easier the 2nd time because I already have everything memorized. It's psychologically easier too. The first time I was struggling because I didn't think I'd actually be able to do it. The second time has been a piece of a cake, I just figured that since I was able to do it once, I'll be able to do it again. I'm actually a lot more motivated this time.

It's funny because while I was maintaining my goal weight I had this fear of becoming pregnant in the future, gaining weight and never being able to lose it. So now I'm kinda glad I gained those 10 lbs, since it got me over my fear of not being able to lose a second time.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think when you lose the first time, you're all fired up because it's new, and you tell yourself your target / maintenance weight is going to be a permanent state of affairs. The whole time, you're working towards this one goal. (And others, hopefully, like athletic and health targets, but you have a goal body or weight or whatever in mind and that's what's probably mostly driving things.) Maybe you see it as a life-changing event, and it totally is.

If you regain (as many do), that idea (that it's a permanent game changer, that there's a clear line between old you and new you) takes a hit.

Maybe your idea of yourself as having the power to determine your body also takes a hit. And, everyone says that's the one thing you can control, but the truth is, you can't, always. Stuff happens. Maybe you get injured or sick or you have a psychological hiccup. (Or maybe it's something happier like having a baby, whatever.) That's a hard thing to feel, that you can't actually control everything about your body all the time.

(Feeling empowered was a big part of why I felt so great about my weight loss. Getting injured and regaining some of it showed me I have less power than I thought I did. I mean I obviously just ate too much for my activity level while injured, but the low activity, injury, isolation, etc did a number on my head, and I didn't care, so I just ate what I did when I worked out.)

Plus, after having had a new slinky body, feeling strong and healthy (hopefully), you're back to feeling frumpy and awkward and hiding. And that feels crappy.

And it's just not new and exciting anymore.

But try to look at all this as an ongoing process. Things will happen in life, you just have to adapt.
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

haha or this.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Its 1000% mental once you make up your mind again its not as hard as you think

this is true too. also, relying on routine to get you through it helps, as someone above said, instead of whatever else.
  • Xanna89
    Xanna89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second trip too smh. I went from 220 to 175(my goal weight) to 260! Then down to 230. After having 2 babies within 2 years. It's hard for me too but it's also very motivating knowing that I can do it! Also just remembering how I felt back then and how happy I was. I was so energetic and always on a good mood. I want that again! So I'm going for it!