Wow - I never knew!!

SnuggieMeeko
SnuggieMeeko Posts: 68 Member
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
The past three days (going on four!) I've been using my food log on here. I never realize how easy it is eat more than you should. It's crazy!!!! No wonder I've gained weight. I read something that said the normal person normally eats 600 more calories than they realize. I have to say this could have been true for me. Things I didnt' think were "That bad" really add up those extra pounds. I'm so happy I'm finally taking control and getting this eating right and good healthy amounts under control.

Has anyone else felt this way?

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    OH YES!

I changed ALOT of habits before I started MFP, and lost alot, but when I started using this and tracking even my "healthier" choices I learned even more about what I was putting in my body calorie wise
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Oh yeah especially when going out to eat and thinking I was making a healthy choice only to find out what I ate was way over 1000 calories in one mea.
  • lizrangel76
    lizrangel76 Posts: 34
    It was an eye opener for me. I thought I was doing great until I started tracking. I'm glad I do, because now I'm more self conscious about what I put in my mouth before I do it.
  • Debysue
    Debysue Posts: 9
    I agree. I thought I was doing well and that I was not eating that many calories. Then I started using MFP and tracking. I was shocked. No wonder the weight was not coming off even though I worked out 6 days a week.
  • mpfand
    mpfand Posts: 98 Member
    Definitely! That was me 3 months ago. MFP has really opened my eyes. I was amazed that I was eating more than a serving size of almost everything. I am also astounded at how many calories, sodium, and fat restaurant meals have. MFP has actually made weight loss very do-able for me. I don't feel deprived at all since I haven't actually told myself certain foods are "off limits". I just eat what the portion size is and add it to my food diary. As time goes on I'm eating more and more healthy and have less and less cravings for junk food so that's another benefit. Good luck to you!
  • Taggie10
    Taggie10 Posts: 3 Member
    This is my first week doing MFP and I can tell you that I've been struggling all week to stay under my caloric intake because I've been so used to using more... It is def an eye opener and it will continue to be an adjustment for me in the next few weeks...
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    So true- knowledge is power!
  • mpfand
    mpfand Posts: 98 Member
    This is my first week doing MFP and I can tell you that I've been struggling all week to stay under my caloric intake because I've been so used to using more... It is def an eye opener and it will continue to be an adjustment for me in the next few weeks...
    For me, the first week was a killer. I was starving constantly and didn't see how I'd ever stick with it. I did, and am so glad! After the first week, I think my stomach shrunk a little and started getting used to less food. I was fine after that.
  • SnuggieMeeko
    What I thought was an "okay" choice was really scary. What an eye opener!
  • thadreamer
    thadreamer Posts: 54 Member
    All of you are so encouraging this is my first it using MFP, I can't wait to see how this week goes! I really need all of the support I can get. I've been on so many diets it's riDonkulous! Please keep this fantastic post coming!!!!
    If any of you have any advice on how to use this app or how to keep at it let me know. PLEASE
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    It really helped us to examine what we thought was healthy. We are not perfect by any stretch ot the imagination, but it's opend our eyes to how bad the processed foods are and now that we have eliminated most of it, it is actually hard to eat all your calories when its fresh healthy food. Good luck to all and I think this site and all the positive folks here are amazing.
  • bnjajoyce
    bnjajoyce Posts: 23
    It's been a real eye opener. Especially the sodium! I'm taking in too much salt and sugar. Logging my food is really helpful, even if I keep lapsing. :)
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    For me, the first week was a killer. I was starving constantly and didn't see how I'd ever stick with it. I did, and am so glad! After the first week, I think my stomach shrunk a little and started getting used to less food. I was fine after that.

I used to feel so hungry too. Now, five months later I can eat a regular portion and feel full and okay. We use smaller plates so our plates look as full as they used to, LOL.
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Friend people on here, or even better, do it with a real life person you can be accountable to.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    The past three days (going on four!) I've been using my food log on here. I never realize how easy it is eat more than you should. It's crazy!!!! No wonder I've gained weight. I read something that said the normal person normally eats 600 more calories than they realize. I have to say this could have been true for me. Things I didnt' think were "That bad" really add up those extra pounds. I'm so happy I'm finally taking control and getting this eating right and good healthy amounts under control.

Yep, I have. But I gotta ask you, what is that thing in your avatar? It's way cute!!! But I just can't figure out what it is. A albino mouse?
  • Pamela3
    Pamela3 Posts: 96 Member

Yep, I have. But I gotta ask you, what is that thing in your avatar? It's way cute!!! But I just can't figure out what it is. A albino mouse?

I was just going to ask the same question! I've been staring at it for the ast 7 minutes like wtf...LOL
  • SnuggieMeeko
    It is my hairless rat Ginger.
  • I can totally relate to you! I have been tracking for a couple of days and actually measuring my portions, so my calorie tracking is more accurate. Normal portions look small to me, which means I was eating too much for a very long time. CRAZY.
This discussion has been closed.