Thoughts about treadmills?

Options

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I start most days with around 8-10000 steps on my treadmill watching videos and some Binge Watching

I bike outside every other day at minimum

Treads and Stair Clumbers are just other tools for your use.

I like having one.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    My general preference is for being outside because (1) I prefer the vitamin D whenever I can get it (2) I get more out of moving my body through space and its a harder workout for me.

With that said, WI is not conducive to always being outdoors so I run on the treadmill when the weather sucks. I generally add 3-10% incline to make up for the wind, general incline changes, etc. and add hills when I'm really motivated.

Treadmill is always better than not exercising at all.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    My general preference is for being outside because (1) I prefer the vitamin D whenever I can get it (2) I get more out of moving my body through space and its a harder workout for me.

With that said, WI is not conducive to always being outdoors so I run on the treadmill when the weather sucks. I generally add 3-10% incline to make up for the wind, general incline changes, etc. and add hills when I'm really motivated.

Treadmill is always better than not exercising at all.

I would rather be outside as well, and sometimes I can, but sometimes the treadmill can come in awfully handy!
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of different reasons for me why going outside for walks is torture and because of that I love my treadmill. I just read my Kindle while using it and it isn't boring at all. Although, I do admit that my treadmill was really neglected before I got my Kindle.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I have an early morning weight class two days a week, and I usually jump on the treadmill for a while afterward. I have lots of online things to keep me busy, so I play on my phone while walking. It makes time go by faster and I don't have to worry about bumping into things.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    In the spring and fall I'll happily run outside. But in the heat of summer and the cold of winter I'll happily run on a treadmill. I like the fact that I can monitor my progress on a treadmill. I don't have any of those apps yet that tell you how far you've run, how fast etc. So the treadmill is handy for that. Oddly I don't get bored running on a treadmill.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's better than nothing. i understand using one in case of inclement weather, or lack of proper trails and roads, but i prefer outside.
    This is about spot on. . I find if I have time to run, and I'm at the gym I'll take a spin on the deadmill. . If I can't have time to do them I'll lift then run. Because I'm telling you, if I lift and go home.. I ain't running there.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill in my garage which is always open and faces the outdoor patio where we hang out all night, so I go on it in spurts throughout the night, instead of loafing around while everyone is hanging out. I use it every night, its awesome.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Running outside is awesome, and I don't even need music to stay motivated, but unless I can get out for a really early run, I like AC in the Virginia summer-time heat. There is a lot to be said for turning up the fan on the treadmill to "blast your face off" and watching a blow-things-up movie while running. It's pretty fun.

• angie_momof3
    angie_momof3 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    As a mom of 3 kids under 5 with a husband who works 7 days a week, it can be hard for me to get a good run in. So, I love that I can put the kids to bed and hop on the treadmill. I'm currently doing the c25k. I know its not the same as being outside and I do take walks with the kids, but its not enough to get my heart rate up. I don't have my treadmill in front of the tv, but it does face the lake outside our home and who doesn't enjoy a good view. Plus, I can get totally lost in my thoughts and before I know it, my time is up!
  • earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i love my walk outside, in the morning etc, but in winters it is impossible to walk cause 1 its too dark (not safe in our area after dark and most of our street lights dont work), 2 i force myself to walk on the treadmill cause when summer starts again i down want to start at the begining and 3 i got unpredictable working hours!!! its just personal choice where mine if i dont walk on the treadmill in winter i dont walk point..... do what makes you happy
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Pretty much yeah. I do one or the other but I prefer outside jogging as it burns slightly more calories due to having to make adjustments for uneven road surfaces avoiding pedestrians, also you have to run against the wind; so it all adds up to about 5% more calorie burn - if you believe various health forums on the internet - etc.

However if the weathers bad I use a treadmill and that's as good in its own right. My motto is "if I'm exercising that's good".
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The treadmill was an excellent laxative. It bored the poop out of me.

But if it's the best thing you have, gotta use it!

I like to walk outside, too.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love a treadmill. Twice, I had one. Both times, gave it away..to have more space in house. And now? Now, I plan on getting a fold up one from Walmart this Winter. I think it will be fine for walking when it's dark out at night.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I can't run on a treadmill. Literally. I can't seem to stay in a straight line, if I let go of the bar, I'll bust my butt :p
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill because I get so bored running on it, however, it's too warm to me for me to run outside after work, so twice a week I run on the treadmill at the gym and then twice a week on Saturday and Sunday, I run outside.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like the convenience factor - that I can jump off and hit any of the weights or machines in the gym, but when the weather is fine, nothing beats the outdoors.

I'm finishing the basement and blocked out space for a treadmill. Wisconsin winters can be rough and its hard to run in 3' of snow.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    SInce it's 80 degrees with high humidity here even before the sun comes up I like doing my lactate threshold runs on the treadmill to control for heat and be able to run faster without my heartrate spiraling out of control. I get a much better and longer workout on my legs that way.
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have invested in a treadclimber. Way faster in terms of results. But... more expensive and there is always that!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Running outside is what made me like running. I am vitamin d deficient, so I need the sun. Plus being outside in urban nature and seeing my neighbors and neighborhood have greatly enhanced my happiness.

I don't know what I will do when it gets icy.