Any beginner cycling friends out there?

Options
joolieb1
joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
i am 51 and started cycling on my old shopping bike about 4 weeks ago just to burn calories for my MFP weight loss challenge. Bought a hybrid bike two weeks ago and plan to cycle 130 miles in July. Only manage average speed of just over 10 miles per hour and can keep moving unless I meet a steep hill! New buddies welcome

Replies

• Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Are you doing a 2 day ride that is 130 miles total? or a one day ride for 130 miles? Either way thats a great gaol Hills are tough... I recommend doing some strength training. core and arms are just as important as legs.
  • scarlettsdad
    scarlettsdad Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I bought a hybrid 2 weeks ago for my commute. Using it three times a week covering 42 miles per week. I'm averaging 13mph but that includes some on grass and approaching some traffic lights slowly. It's great fun isn't it.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm not a beginner, but I LOVE bikes!

I started riding my bike to work about 3 days per week in April. Before, I'd always ridden for work outs, or ridden for organized events... it was always "training". Over the last couple of years, I haven't had as much free time to ride and I've gotten slower. I realized that if my old way of riding wasn't fitting with my lifestyle, I needed to find a new way to fit it in. Within 1-2 weeks of riding, I realized that I was much more calm at work on days that I rode, and I started feeling just a tab bit grumpy when I had to drive. Now I'm up to 4-5 days of commuting, depending on my schedule and I've found that I really, really just enjoy the ride. I don't try to go fast, I just ride. I let my mind wander. I explore new side streets. Oh, and my "training" rides have gotten easier too, which is a nice side benefit.

Enjoy your newfound hobby that happens to be good for you too!
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Today I started cycling. I rode it for 20 minutes at 10 miles to 11.8 miles. I am just starting so I plan on working my way up the ladder. However, where do I go there is nothing to tell me how to use the machine. It has many different programs and I do not know which one to use. Can someone help me? Is there a website that explains what all the buttons are for and how to use them. I tried to get my heart rate but it would not give it to me. I had my hands where they were suppose to be but it was not reading my heart rate.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am guessing that you are looking at 130 miles for the month of July? That is a great goal. I have been riding to work for the last year or so. I am averaging about 200 miles per month. I use cyclemeter on my iphone to track my mileage. I am not a particularly fast rider. I average about 11 miles per hour for up to 20-25 miles.
    Just keep at it and keep having fun.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Today I started cycling. I rode it for 20 minutes at 10 miles to 11.8 miles. I am just starting so I plan on working my way up the ladder. However, where do I go there is nothing to tell me how to use the machine. It has many different programs and I do not know which one to use. Can someone help me? Is there a website that explains what all the buttons are for and how to use them. I tried to get my heart rate but it would not give it to me. I had my hands where they were suppose to be but it was not reading my heart rate.

I am guessing that you are riding a stationary bike? To access a manual you will need to look up the manufacturer and the model number of the bike. Good luck.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I love cycling too!

You can join the under armor challenge and Map My Ride challenges. They are underway but you can still get in and meet the goals.

I'm a relatively new endurance bike rider

Just did a decent ride yesterday in the UA Challenge.

Give it a go! It is all good fun!

jufoxrijrl0r.jpg

• joolieb1
    Options
    Thanks I will take a look, not sure I could call myself an endurance cyclist though, just trying to get fit and my bike is helping me! X
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hi Joolie, I'm 51 and a touring cyclist. I lost my weight already now but I started in 2014. I've just got back from Japan after a two month tour there. When i go on tour, i am never fit to start with. I"m not an endurance cyclist. I just love travelling and cycle touring is cheap. Maybe one day you can do a tour too. You might like reading my blog (which i haven't finished yet). [url=" http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Japan2015"] crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Japan2015[/url] Please note that on this tour, i ate a lot of sweets. In my daily life at home, i don't eat sweets at all because I quit. I only eat them when people offer them too. I came home and immediately resumed my no sweet lifestyle having had alovely time eating them on my trip. If you have to lose the weight, i would not suggest eating sweets on tour.
  • joolieb1
    Options
    LOL! I can't imagine touring! Must be fun especially if u can eat chocolate! I am currently using cycling to help me burn calories and lose weight! I have 42 lbs to lose and it is currently coming off at 2 lbs a week which is good. I started off with short rides but when I got my new hybrid bike, the gears made it possible to go further and tackle smaller hills so I set myself a July challenge to cover 130 miles. This has been good because I have been able to stop looking at pushing up my speed and think about covering miles. My speed has slowly built too but on a long distance (that is 20 miles to me) it is averaging 10-11 mph which is still a little slow!!

Julie
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    What a great thread!

• ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner to cycling too... hubby bought me a Hybrid but its more geared towards road than off road. He has a road bike, so we plan to cycle together. Signed up to the London FreeRide day in August, can't wait.
    I also run, so cycling for me is an added bonus... I will have nice looking legs before my holiday in April 2016!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    I was a beginner ... or begin again ... cyclist 25 years ago. :) I've stuck with it as my main form of exercise for 25 years!! Just think ... you could be doing this in 25 years too!

In that time, I've cycled recreationally, commuted, raced, toured, and have gotten into long distance cycling. I've travelled the world with my bicycle ... and met my husband on a long distance cycling event in France (the Paris-Brest-Paris, back in 2003).

I can't imagine my life without cycling. :)
  • ladyval
    ladyval Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I'm a newbie who just started riding again a few weeks ago. I'm only doing about 3 miles right now, but long term goal is to be a road cyclist and doing 40 mile rides on a regular basis.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to cycling but I love talking about it. I got into cycling 4 years ago. I started out with switching out the tires on my mountain bike for road bike tires. That worked for a little just to see if I liked it and of course I did so the following year I bought an entry level road bike. I've been riding that for 3 years now and I love it. I don't always have the time to ride during the week because of work and kids but I do get out on the weekends. This past Sunday I did my first 25 mile ride. My average speed is around 14mph. Feel free to friend me. I'm always looking for fellow cyclists.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I was a beginner 3 years ago, borderline morbidly obese and could barely ride around the block. I used my niece's old bike for a few weeks before I decided to get a new hybrid. I rode that for about a year then switched to a rode bike. Now, I'm a healthy weight and ride 50 - 100 miles per week. I love cycling! New friends always welcome!
  • braddad63
    braddad63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    joolieb1 wrote: »
    i am 51 and started cycling on my old shopping bike about 4 weeks ago just to burn calories for my MFP weight loss challenge. Bought a hybrid bike two weeks ago and plan to cycle 130 miles in July. Only manage average speed of just over 10 miles per hour and can keep moving unless I meet a steep hill! New buddies welcome

Hi Joolie:
    Good for you; don't worry about your average speed, just keep on rolling. I'm 52, have been an avid cyclist for years (mainly dirt/mountain biking). I just love doing it, but I know it's also a good fat burning exercise, can help w/core strength, excellent cardio workout, easy on the joints, etc. So 'low [mileage] & slow' can be your motto for now (& can build up to longer distances). Your average speed will increase over time w/fitness, &/or varies w/terrain of course. (My soon to be 80 yr. old father still rides regularly, albeit slowly, out to the coffee shop to meet friends, etc. So you've got plenty of years of spinning ahead).

Ride on,
    --Brad
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Hi Joolie, I'm 51 and a touring cyclist..... Maybe one day you can do a tour too. You might like reading my blog (which i haven't finished yet).
    Here's the correct link in case anyone is interested.
    https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=15317&v=1iW

I'm technically a beginner cyclist as I've only been back at it since January (used to be an avid cyclist back in my college days). They say that the most effective exercise is the one that you love doing. Well, I hate going to the gym and running, but I love taking my bike to enjoy the scenery outdoors.

• Double__Tapp
    Double__Tapp Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to cycling. I spin nearly everyday for 1-2 hours. I have multiple Century endurance rides under my belt as well as a few metric centuries and shorter distances. I am training now for next month, the largest one day cycling event in the USA. The Hotter N Hell, I will be doing the Triple threat, a 13 mile mountain bike race on Friday, a Century ride on Saturday, and a half marathon on Sunday. I would love to add all cycling friends.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I started cycling last May after losing most of my excess weight. I bought myself a hybrid and clocked about 2500 miles the first season. This summer I bought myself a proper road bike and started focusing on doing more elevation for a better workout. I'm doing a 180 mile - 14K feet climb - 2 day tour in August for a charity. I got addicted to riding. The one problem with riding is that it gets quite expensive. Besides for the cost of the bike (which I bought used and got a great deal), there is clothing, maintenance, gear, etc.

I would caution you to really watch your calories when fueling your rides. I see many cyclists eating back all their calories on a couple of granola bars. They then wonder why they're not losing weight.

Feel free to send a friend request or any questions.