Getting Discouraged

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    are you logging all your food in, using correct MFP database entries, and using a food scale?
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    are you logging all your food in, using correct MFP database entries, and using a food scale?

No I do not weigh. I have made this point. I am surprised that you find this shocking given the fear now a day for people with eating disorders and given that I lost a substantial amount of weight just over a year and a half ago, my family fears an unhealthy relationship with food if they see me weighing food. Two of my brothers are extremely athletic and I think that gaining muscle may come easily to them. So me saying "it's for me to gain muscle" sounds foreign to them as they didn't need to do that even in the slightest to get the strength they needed.

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »
    I have been bulking since June 8th when I thought I dropped 10 pounds randomly to 130. However, a couple days into the bulk I got back what I thought I lost to 138 (my usual weight that I maintained this whole past year). However, I want to build muscle and strength so took the plunge into a bulk (plus. I like to eat and thought I would be happier with a little more food). I am now getting really discouraged, I am weighing in at around 146 (8lbs above what I weighed to start basically) and I am afraid I am gaining way too fast. Everyone around me (my bros and friends) just recommend that I just eat frequently, as they have done this before and succeeded pretty well (all have gained quality muscle) . But I just feel like maybe I'm different and can't gain the same... My clothes fit the same although I am noticing pants getting tighter in the legs (not waist). I made a mistake and didn't start by taking progress photos or measuring or anything (as my two brothers never did that stuff). Anyway, should I loosen up and continue what I am doing? I am loving the new strength and my eating habits (which are about 6 times a day...3 meals and 3 snacks basically). But just don't want to end up obese as I used to be (200lbs and 5'8 all through my teens). So basically this is my background:

20years
    Male
    146lbs (now)
    5'8
    Moderately active (I have a pedometer that logs me close to 4 miles a day and frequently over 5 not including workouts and about 20 flights of stairs...I take stairs everywhere...also, I am up every morning during weekdays at 5:30 for school)
    Workout in addition to that 5 days a week

Meals:
    Breakfast:
    pb sandwich and banana
    OR
    a little over a cup yogurt and banana with a drizzle of honey and about 1 moderate scoop of peanut butter (with a smaller sized spoon not a big one)
    OR
    bagel, 2 fried eggs (in a little oil and I mean a little), as much fruit salad as I want (as an example) probably close to 1.5 cups

Snack:
    Cliff bar or chobani yogurt or protein shake with 1 1/4 cup milk and 1 scoop whey

Lunch:
    Sandwich with cheese turkey mustard or chicken salad or leftovers from dinner
    About 2 cups grapes

Snack:
    Chobani yogurt
    OR
    1 cup cottage cheese and some fruit salad (like a cup)
    OR
    cliff bar

dinner:
    About 9 oz (raw) protein (usually fish or chicken) occasionally a hamburger (8oz before cooking) or something but I try not to have too many sides with this
    With leaner proteins: about half a plate of veggie (some times my mom puts some Olive oil on it) and about a half cup of starch like potato or rice (not a big starch guy at dinner)

Snack:
    Protein shake prepared same as above, cottage cheese with fruit salad as above, or Chobani flip yogurt, on weekend I may have a serving of ice cream but I don't really indulge in sweets...

Am I overdoing it? I'm just really unsure and I'm not sure if this weight gain is a bit of water or mostly fat of mostly muscle. I just don't know and my family doesn't really let me weigh food so I don't count too closely (though in my head if I try to be honest I would put this intake close to 3000 cals sometimes a bit less sometimes a bit more...)

Is there a reason your family doesn't "let" you weigh food? Have you have some form of an ED previously? I would suggest that you portion your food - as in even if mom cooks it, you determine how much goes on your plate; if you feel you were dished out too much (or too little) you have every right to not eat it (or ask for more). If you haven't had an ED, why does your family control what you do? I have a family who eats whatever they want, whenever they want and it shows. I don't follow what they do and they don't control what I do - if I want to eat 6 times a day that's what I do. If I want to spend two hours at the gym after work, I do it. This is your chance, and your life. If you wanna weigh food - do it up.

I don't really see why your family would look down on measuring out your food . . . That confuses me.
  • ndj1979
    Options

No I do not weigh. I have made this point. I am surprised that you find this shocking given the fear now a day for people with eating disorders and given that I lost a substantial amount of weight just over a year and a half ago, my family fears an unhealthy relationship with food if they see me weighing food. Two of my brothers are extremely athletic and I think that gaining muscle may come easily to them. So me saying "it's for me to gain muscle" sounds foreign to them as they didn't need to do that even in the slightest to get the strength they needed.

you could be underestimating your intake and eating more than you think ...

maybe cut back on what you are taking in by 5% and keep lifting and see what happens.

when I bulked and felt like I was gaining too fast, I just cut back my calories. But I weigh most of my foods - except on weekends - so I have a good idea of what my intake is.
  • dpr73
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I have been bulking since June 8th when I thought I dropped 10 pounds randomly to 130. However, a couple days into the bulk I got back what I thought I lost to 138 (my usual weight that I maintained this whole past year). However, I want to build muscle and strength so took the plunge into a bulk (plus. I like to eat and thought I would be happier with a little more food). I am now getting really discouraged, I am weighing in at around 146 (8lbs above what I weighed to start basically) and I am afraid I am gaining way too fast. Everyone around me (my bros and friends) just recommend that I just eat frequently, as they have done this before and succeeded pretty well (all have gained quality muscle) . But I just feel like maybe I'm different and can't gain the same... My clothes fit the same although I am noticing pants getting tighter in the legs (not waist). I made a mistake and didn't start by taking progress photos or measuring or anything (as my two brothers never did that stuff). Anyway, should I loosen up and continue what I am doing? I am loving the new strength and my eating habits (which are about 6 times a day...3 meals and 3 snacks basically). But just don't want to end up obese as I used to be (200lbs and 5'8 all through my teens). So basically this is my background:

20years
    Male
    146lbs (now)
    5'8
    Moderately active (I have a pedometer that logs me close to 4 miles a day and frequently over 5 not including workouts and about 20 flights of stairs...I take stairs everywhere...also, I am up every morning during weekdays at 5:30 for school)

Meals:
    Breakfast:
    pb sandwich and banana
    OR
    a little over a cup yogurt and banana with a drizzle of honey and about 1 moderate scoop of peanut butter (with a smaller sized spoon not a big one)
    OR
    bagel, 2 fried eggs (in a little oil and I mean a little), as much fruit salad as I want (as an example) probably close to 1.5 cups

Snack:
    Cliff bar or chobani yogurt or protein shake with 1 1/4 cup milk and 1 scoop whey

Lunch:
    About 2 cups grapes

Snack:
    Chobani yogurt
    OR
    OR
    cliff bar

dinner:
    About 9 oz (raw) protein (usually fish or chicken) occasionally a hamburger (8oz before cooking) or something but I try not to have too many sides with this
    With leaner proteins: about half a plate of veggie (some times my mom puts some Olive oil on it) and about a half cup of starch like potato or rice (not a big starch guy at dinner)

Snack:
    Protein shake prepared same as above, cottage cheese with fruit salad as above, or Chobani flip yogurt, on weekend I may have a serving of ice cream but I don't really indulge in sweets...

Am I overdoing it? I'm just really unsure and I'm not sure if this weight gain is a bit of water or mostly fat of mostly muscle. I just don't know and my family doesn't really let me weigh food so I don't count too closely (though in my head if I try to be honest I would put this intake close to 3000 cals sometimes a bit less sometimes a bit more...)

Is there a reason your family doesn't "let" you weigh food? Have you have some form of an ED previously? I would suggest that you portion your food. If you haven't had an ED, why does your family control what you do? I have a family who eats whatever they want, whenever they want and it shows. I don't follow what they do and they don't control what I do - if I want to eat 6 times a day that's what I do. If I want to spend two hours at the gym after work, I do it. This is your chance, and your life. If you wanna weigh food - do it up.

They don't mind my eating habits and my workout regimen. They think that I could eat more sweets and things that I don't exactly crave, but they have said they think my mindset is completely healthy. They also fully support my want to gain muscle but like I said my two brothers who are college athletes didn't need to weigh food to gain muscle. They just "eat a lot" to get muscle. So my family would find it weird and unhealthy for me to weigh my food. They have already gone through it being a weird habit. And I do honestly care about what my family says, as they are my family.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    above healthy for me or for you?

It's different for everyone is my point. I would like to be stronger for me, but I don't believe 140lbs is an unhealthy weight for a 5'8 male. And 165 is the upper end so I doubt that's where I should be at minimum

My husband is right at your height. At 145, he's cut. He has a full 6 pack always visible, no spare weight at all round his middle, obvious pecs, shoulders, nice shape, gets looks on the beach, etc. Benches over 160 every time he goes to the gym, which is 2x per week for about 45 minutes at a time. Well-developed legs and glutes, too. He's normally 145-153ish.

He got more enthusiastic at lifting for a while. Over a year--and it took a year--he bulked to something over 160. He looked, at that point, like a fitness model. His daily bench went over 180, and his max over 200. Again, not huge, but very good for his size. He wasn't really TRYING to be big, so it wasn't a bulk, but he was spending more time in the gym.

I think 165 is a realistic upper extreme for a semi-casual lifter of that height. And if you are already lifting and are cut at 145, a pound of weight a month is really as much as you'll probably be able to put on in muscle.

When I met him, my husband was in the upper 130s at 5'8". Didn't look scrawny due to shoulders and arms, but hadn't lifted at all. That was, in fact, a healthy weight, not "abnormal" or sickly.

Two years before that, he was medically overweight--actually, he was obese for his race. Even in the 160s, before he began exercising, he looked gross and chubby. (My mother, when I told her his name, Googled him, found and old photo, and was like...you're dating...him?...really?...he must be...really, really, really nice....)

Much depends on what your activities are and how much you're picking up heavy things.
  • acorsaut89
    Options

20years
    Male
    146lbs (now)
    5'8

Meals:
    Breakfast:
    pb sandwich and banana
    OR
    OR

Snack:

Lunch:
    About 2 cups grapes

Snack:
    Chobani yogurt
    OR
    OR
    cliff bar

dinner:

Snack:

Is there a reason your family doesn't "let" you weigh food? Have you have some form of an ED previously? I would suggest that you portion your food. If you haven't had an ED, why does your family control what you do? I have a family who eats whatever they want, whenever they want and it shows. I don't follow what they do and they don't control what I do - if I want to eat 6 times a day that's what I do. If I want to spend two hours at the gym after work, I do it. This is your chance, and your life. If you wanna weigh food - do it up.

They don't mind my eating habits and my workout regimen. They think that I could eat more sweets and things that I don't exactly crave, but they have said they think my mindset is completely healthy. They also fully support my want to gain muscle but like I said my two brothers who are college athletes didn't need to weigh food to gain muscle. They just "eat a lot" to get muscle. So my family would find it weird and unhealthy for me to weigh my food. They have already gone through it being a weird habit. And I do honestly care about what my family says, as they are my family.

Ok yeh, but if they're supportive and don't mind it then you can weigh your food. My mom thinks me waking up at 4:45 am to hit the gym is crazy and weird but she's very supportive of the fact that I do it. I care about what she thinks too, but she's not stopping me from what I want because it's what I want.

This isn't about bringing home a mate that your parents don't like, this is about being healthy and changing your lifestyle, right?

If you say in one sentence they don't mind your eating habits/work out routines and then 3 sentences later say they would find it weird and unhealthy to weigh food . . . . I just don't get it. Part of your healthy eating habits would be to routinely weigh food and figure out how much you're eating. So either they mind, or they don't and they rag on you about it? You totally contradicted yourself in the exact same response paragraph.
  • dpr73
    Options

It's different for everyone is my point. I would like to be stronger for me, but I don't believe 140lbs is an unhealthy weight for a 5'8 male. And 165 is the upper end so I doubt that's where I should be at minimum

My husband is right at your height. At 145, he's cut. He has a full 6 pack always visible, no spare weight at all round his middle, obvious pecs, shoulders, nice shape, gets looks on the beach, etc. Benches over 160 every time he goes to the gym, which is 2x per week for about 45 minutes at a time. Well-developed legs and glutes, too.

He got really enthusiastic at lifting for a while. Over a year--and it took a year--he bulked to nearly 160. He looked, at that point, like a fitness model. His daily bench went over 180, and his max over 200. Again, not huge, but very good for his size.

I think 165 is a realistic upper extreme. And if you are already lifting and are cut at 145, a pound of weight a month is really as much as you'll probably be able to put on in muscle.

I have a decent shape at 140 with no abs tho (not that I personally care). I mainly would like more developed legs and to be in general stronger. I understand 165 would be the upper extreme, but I can't say I am unhealthy where I am currently.

• dpr73
    Options

20years
    Male
    146lbs (now)
    5'8

Meals:
    Breakfast:
    pb sandwich and banana
    OR
    OR

Snack:

Lunch:
    About 2 cups grapes

Snack:
    Chobani yogurt
    OR
    OR
    cliff bar

dinner:

Snack:

Ok yeh, but if they're supportive and don't mind it then you can weigh your food. My mom thinks me waking up at 4:45 am to hit the gym is crazy and weird but she's very supportive of the fact that I do it. I care about what she thinks too, but she's not stopping me from what I want because it's what I want.

This isn't about bringing home a mate that your parents don't like, this is about being healthy and changing your lifestyle, right?

If you say in one sentence they don't mind your eating habits/work out routines and then 3 sentences later say they would find it weird and unhealthy to weigh food . . . . I just don't get it. Part of your healthy eating habits would be to routinely weigh food and figure out how much you're eating. So either they mind, or they don't and they rag on you about it? You totally contradicted yourself in the exact same response paragraph.

I'm not seeing the contradiction...I said they support what I am doing, but the extent of their support ends with weighing. They think that I am already very healthy and "don't need to do much more, just eat a lot and gain muscle". They feel like eating healthy and weight lifting is healthy, but don't group weighing food in with this.
  • acorsaut89
    edited July 2015
    Options

20years
    Male
    146lbs (now)
    5'8

Meals:
    Breakfast:
    pb sandwich and banana
    OR
    OR

Snack:

Lunch:
    About 2 cups grapes

Snack:
    Chobani yogurt
    OR
    OR
    cliff bar

dinner:

Snack:

I'm not seeing the contradiction...I said they support what I am doing, but the extent of their support ends with weighing. They think that I am already very healthy and "don't need to do much more, just eat a lot and gain muscle". They feel like eating healthy and weight lifting is healthy, but don't group weighing food in with this.

Well are they professionals? Do they know the industry well? My mom is a pharmacist . . . with an opinion on which cars are made best. She doesn't know how to actually make a car or all of the little pieces that go into making a car, she knows what she thinks makes a good car to drive - she doesn't know the endless hours of engineering and testing to come up with said car. And she can tell me which car I should buy because of what she thinks but it comes down to which car I feel I want to buy. I respect her opinion and her experience, that doesn't mean I will blindly follow it and ignore how I feel or what I want.

Further, I would lean towards if they are supportive they are all in or all out . . . you can't really half way support someone, that just leads to what you're experiencing.

If you're asking for advice, and one of the pieces you're getting is to weigh your food . . . but your family thinks it's crazy then you can either weigh your food and (potentially) hit your goals or not weigh your food and (more than likely) not hit your goals. I feel like it's that simple, as many have said you've posted this or similar question multiple times and don't seem to like the answers being given to you. Best of luck to you.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options

My husband is right at your height. At 145, he's cut. He has a full 6 pack always visible, no spare weight at all round his middle, obvious pecs, shoulders, nice shape, gets looks on the beach, etc. Benches over 160 every time he goes to the gym, which is 2x per week for about 45 minutes at a time. Well-developed legs and glutes, too.

He got really enthusiastic at lifting for a while. Over a year--and it took a year--he bulked to nearly 160. He looked, at that point, like a fitness model. His daily bench went over 180, and his max over 200. Again, not huge, but very good for his size.

I think 165 is a realistic upper extreme. And if you are already lifting and are cut at 145, a pound of weight a month is really as much as you'll probably be able to put on in muscle.

I have a decent shape at 140 with no abs tho (not that I personally care). I mainly would like more developed legs and to be in general stronger. I understand 165 would be the upper extreme, but I can't say I am unhealthy where I am currently.

I wouldn't call it "unhealthy" not to have abs. :) It sounds like you have a good amount of room for recomp, so you might want to slow down the weight gain by a lot to give yourself time to put on some muscle. How much you can put on partly depends on genetics, partly by your frame size, partly by how much (and to a lesser extent WHAT) you're eating, and partly by how much you lift.

Since you have a lot of room, aim for a super-slow bulk of no more than a pound a month. That'll give you MORE than enough calories for recomp while letting you put on a little more muscle if you can. Someone who's 6'2" and in identical shape just has more mass on their frame to bulk, so your gains won't be as much in pounds, but they can be as much PROPORTIONALLY.

Oh, an my "skinny" 145lb-husband? He has a bodyweight exercise group at work that meets for short workouts a couple of times a day with other people in a field that has a lot of former military, and he has great fun wiping the floor with everyone else. One of the guys challenged him to do a one-handed pushup (because no one else in the group can do it), so he's currently working on that.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

20years
    Male
    146lbs (now)
    5'8

Meals:
    Breakfast:
    pb sandwich and banana
    OR
    OR

Snack:

Lunch:
    About 2 cups grapes

Snack:
    Chobani yogurt
    OR
    OR
    cliff bar

dinner:

Snack:

Dude, think of it like a bank account.... if you're tracking your spending/earnings, you have a greater overall understanding of what is going on with your bank account. The same can apply to nutrition... If you are tracking and have data, you have a better understanding of how to go about things, where to make adjustments and tweaks, the overall trending, etc.

You can still gain but generally speaking you have the opportunity to be much more optimal with data. If you're not going to track then control what you can control.

1. Eat around the same amount
    2. Lift progressively
    3. Track measurements on scale, waist, etc
    4. If you're gaining too rapidly, eat a little bit less.
    5. Repeat over

• MamaBirdBoss
    Options

20years
    Male
    146lbs (now)
    5'8

Meals:
    Breakfast:
    pb sandwich and banana
    OR
    OR

Snack:

Lunch:
    About 2 cups grapes

Snack:
    Chobani yogurt
    OR
    OR
    cliff bar

dinner:

Snack:

Dude, think of it like a bank account.... if you're tracking your spending/earnings, you have a greater overall understanding of what is going on with your bank account. The same can apply to nutrition... If you are tracking and have data, you have a better understanding of how to go about things, where to make adjustments and tweaks, the overall trending, etc.

You can still gain but generally speaking you have the opportunity to be much more optimal with data. If you're not going to track then control what you can control.

2. Lift progressively
    5. Repeat over

Yep. Explain that you're doing it to gain, and people without histories of obesity tend to have a better mental tab of what they eat, and so they may not need this (if their goals aren't that ambitious) but that it will help you gain at the right rate.
  • dpr73
    Options

20years
    Male
    146lbs (now)
    5'8

Meals:
    Breakfast:
    pb sandwich and banana
    OR
    OR

Snack:

Lunch:
    About 2 cups grapes

Snack:
    Chobani yogurt
    OR
    OR
    cliff bar

dinner:

Snack:

2. Lift progressively
    5. Repeat over

This is why I am doing currently. My waist is literally the exact same, though I have seen the scale up at about 8lbs now. And I keep posting cause these two different sides seem to constantly keep me in conflict.

On one hand, my friends who lift and my brothers all have put on mass extremely easily by just "eating a ton" if I search the Internet, I read a lot about how 6 meals a day (essentially what I am doing though my three main are bigger and my three others are more like snacks) works best and kids my age can pack on weight optimally.

But here and in some other places I've read, it seems like tracking religiously is the only way to achieve optimally.

My little brother (5'9 and about 170lbs now) gained thirty pounds in a year and looks great and is extremely strong, but I know for a fact he just ate junk food and didn't give a crap about what the scale was doing as long as it went up and he was stronger. I am very torn on what to do here and this is why I continually am asking.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

20years
    Male
    146lbs (now)
    5'8

Meals:
    Breakfast:
    pb sandwich and banana
    OR
    OR

Snack:

Lunch:
    About 2 cups grapes

Snack:
    Chobani yogurt
    OR
    OR
    cliff bar

dinner:

Snack:

2. Lift progressively
    5. Repeat over

This is why I am doing currently. My waist is literally the exact same, though I have seen the scale up at about 8lbs now. And I keep posting cause these two different sides seem to constantly keep me in conflict.

On one hand, my friends who lift and my brothers all have put on mass extremely easily by just "eating a ton" if I search the Internet, I read a lot about how 6 meals a day (essentially what I am doing though my three main are bigger and my three others are more like snacks) works best and kids my age can pack on weight optimally.

But here and in some other places I've read, it seems like tracking religiously is the only way to achieve optimally.

My little brother (5'9 and about 170lbs now) gained thirty pounds in a year and looks great and is extremely strong, but I know for a fact he just ate junk food and didn't give a crap about what the scale was doing as long as it went up and he was stronger. I am very torn on what to do here and this is why I continually am asking.

You are not your brother, and you clearly don't share the same sort of psychology. You have voiced concerns over how rapidly you are gaining weight, so I would advise that you keep tabs on it weekly and make adjustments accordingly since you do care.

Yes, tracking will allow you to be more optimal... but it doesn't mean you cannot make significant progress with out it. It may just be more difficult as you will not have any data to base decisions on later on down the road.
  • DeyanPetrov
    DeyanPetrov Posts: 9 Member
    Options

There is almost no way that you are 140 with no abs. Everyone has abs just some have move body fat that covers them, core strenth is another thing. You are also playing lacrosse so that means you have low body fat there for you should have abs.

Also I don't get what the problem is here last year I was 132 pounds when i was soaking wet over 8 weeks I gained 32 pounds while going to the gym and eating ( didnt count calories then ) had about 7-8% body fat.

I can't just kinda want to do something buddy that is why some people are better then others coz they know what they want and how to get it. You my friend want something half way and if you dont start taking the right steps to get it you will stumble over and over. Speak with your family and sort it out or find a way to measure. You should know whats in the mean and approx. how much stuff weight.

Read one of Bear Grylls books and he said it quite nice "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Stop asking silly questions and start asking the right ones like: hey guys i cant weight my food any ways around it how can i get good measures without scale. and if they tell you that you can't prove them wrong fuel yourself. Again its all about how much you want it.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP - you have already started several threads about bulking and received advice such as in this one - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/32959257#Comment_32959257

asking the same questions over and over and doing nothing is not going to get you anywhere.

pick a lifting plan and stick to it; eat in a consistent surplus; consistently hit macros/micros; accept that fat gain is gong to happen.

I wouldn't say I am doing nothing. Bulking is a new thing I am not entirely familiar with. I lift very frequently and finally decided to make progress. I understand that weighing and counting is most efficient, but sometimes there are constraints. Namely, I live in a big, very close family that cooks all their meals at home and frankly has the mindset that weighing is abnormal. While I want to make progress, I value not worrying the rest of my family with my habits.

I keep a decently good eye on what I eat, and for 85% of what I put in my mouth, I know the calorie count of. This is way I am shocked by a gain of 8lbs in 5 weeks and feel discouraged. I was more seeing if this is a routine jump in the first few weeks or not. I am sorry if the mass of posts has bothered you.

Jason - is that you??
    Funny thing is, I hardly ever still spend time reading in here anymore, but I saw this thread earlier and thought I would keep tabs on it given the situation. (But you already know it's not me since you know approximately how much I weighed during my teen years).

20years
    Male
    146lbs (now)
    5'8

Meals:
    Breakfast:
    pb sandwich and banana
    OR
    OR

Snack:

Lunch:
    About 2 cups grapes

Snack:
    Chobani yogurt
    OR
    OR
    cliff bar

dinner:

Snack:

2. Lift progressively
    5. Repeat over

In a way I can relate to how you feel. My family members think I should put on muscle, but they truly think it's too dangerous for me to squat with 40 lbs (2 20 lb dumbbells).

Lolbroscience has given great advice. It seems like the best thing you can do is to estimate as best you can how much you're eating now and adjust as necessary.

• dpr73
    Options

There is almost no way that you are 140 with no abs. Everyone has abs just some have move body fat that covers them, core strenth is another thing. You are also playing lacrosse so that means you have low body fat there for you should have abs.

Also I don't get what the problem is here last year I was 132 pounds when i was soaking wet over 8 weeks I gained 32 pounds while going to the gym and eating ( didnt count calories then ) had about 7-8% body fat.

I can't just kinda want to do something buddy that is why some people are better then others coz they know what they want and how to get it. You my friend want something half way and if you dont start taking the right steps to get it you will stumble over and over. Speak with your family and sort it out or find a way to measure. You should know whats in the mean and approx. how much stuff weight.

Read one of Bear Grylls books and he said it quite nice "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Stop asking silly questions and start asking the right ones like: hey guys i cant weight my food any ways around it how can i get good measures without scale. and if they tell you that you can't prove them wrong fuel yourself. Again its all about how much you want it.

Of course I HAVE abs I just can't see them even with flexing. And I don't play lax I follow a regimen that my brother's college lacrosse team does for conditioning and it's pretty exhausting. I am seeing the strength gains for sure, I just fear going back to being obese and maybe I am too worried but I don't know where else to communicate this stuff.
  • dpr73
    Options
    Just for the record, I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast and where I would normally assume 800 calories for the whole thing, it looks like it was more 550 for the sandwich and (this is an estimate) 150 for the banana. So my estimates seem to be over if anything at the moment. The other day I also did weigh a chicken breast that I'd assume was 5-6 ounces and it was 3 ounces. I also usually throw whatever dinner I eat to 1,000 calories, which I assume is pretty high but I think it's safest to overestimate then way under. Seeing as I do seem to occasionally overstimate I still don't exactly know how I am gaining at this rate.

How often does water retention/increased food/glycogen increase your weight in the first month, because this is my first suspicion?
  • ndj1979
    Options

how do you know OP has no abs as he has posted no pictures…???

and your post is really not helpful at all.