100+ weight loss question

Options
bex481
bex481 Posts: 70 Member
I am hoping to lose a total of about 100 lbs. Has anyone here achieved that or come close and if so my real question is did you have saggy skin? Just wondering what my end results will look like when and if I get there! My biggest concerns are my arms and stomach. thanks!!

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm at 86 on my way to at least 100 and no sign of saggy skin yet. My stomach is still a little flabby but it is shrinking appropriately and my arms were never too flabby to begin with but are still tightening up well. Good luck :)
  • nouh220200
    nouh220200 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am personally working on losing 100 pounds and I know a friend of mind who lost 110 pounds , as long as you mix cardio with strength exercises you are doing good and balance in diet . People who get saggy skin usually do a mistake of starving themselves and that happens as a result .
  • rockerbaby2003
    rockerbaby2003 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My friend has lost nearly a hundred pounds. Yes you will get saggy skin and have problems with it, and if you wanna take it to the next level, getting surgery is the only option once you've lost the weight and your extra saggy skin is the problem. She also has had problems with rashes and such, so immediately after working out wash up with a good antibacterial soap and keep it dry. I believe she uses a zinc oxide cream to prevent chaffing of certain areas on her body as well. I hope this helps!
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it has to do with how 'stretchy' your skin is. Some women need a tummy tuck after having a baby because the skin just didn't bounce back, and some are fine and some are in between. I would say try not to lose the weight too quickly, a nice steady pace, to give your skin the chance to bounce back.
  • bex481
    Options
    Wow!!! 86!! Great job!! I hope to get there some day. I know I have a long road ahead of me!! Thanks for sharing...I'm feeling better!! :)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    recall, I did.......lost 112 lbs according to my Drs scale, and 124 on mine, at my highest weight

Im doing weight strength training, and Core exercises...As far as loose skin, I have some, but the exercise is helping.......it may not take it completly away, but the benefits of being 112 lbs lighter is the most important thing right now

If you are going to lose 100 lbs, then the positives that it does for your body, for taking away body fat and the damage that is done because of it, is really so healthy and life maintaining versus looking good........not to make light of it, but once you get the weight off, working out helps, but I dont know if will completely make the extra skin disappear..........Good luck on your weight loss, Lloyd
  • helena260
    helena260 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes I have lost 114lbs as far as hanging skin I think it will depend on your body type!! As you know anytime you lose that much weight there will be some hanging skin!! My hanging skin is on my arms but it dosen't look bad because I am doing strength training!!! I have never had a big stomach even when I was much larger so I really dont have hanging skin on my stomach!!! I wish you much success on your weight loss journey!! :smile: :wink:
  • DanNoonan
    DanNoonan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my personal experience, but I haven't had any issue at all with saggy skin, just some light stretch marks. But I'm also in my mid 20's, did a fair amount of work on lifting which put on some decent muscle and gradually dropped the weight over ~18 months; all of these definitely aided in me not having many problems in the skin department.
  • Michelemybelle
    Michelemybelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned about that as well. I was overweight with both of my pregnancies, so my stomach skin has NO elasticity left. I'm currently looking into surgery. I just don't see how exercise (I do both cardio and strength) will take away loose skin.
  • Growe190
    Growe190 Posts: 18
    Options
    done it , actually about 120 lbs a few years ago with diet and exercise, skin was never saggy, but I did it over 8 months, sudden loss like with one of the surgeries or starvation is the cause of saggy skin.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I am personally working on losing 100 pounds and I know a friend of mind who lost 110 pounds , as long as you mix cardio with strength exercises you are doing good and balance in diet . People who get saggy skin usually do a mistake of starving themselves and that happens as a result .

My total weight loss, from biggest to now, is about 75 pounds. The only reason I have saggy skin in my stomach and thighs is from the stretch marks. Stretch marks are scars and therefore have no elastisity to bounce back like normal skin.

As a side note, to lose the weight I changed my diet dramatically (no starving AT ALL) and started exercising, mixing cardio with a little strength training. I've seen a cosmetic surgeon about a tummy tuck and he verifies that under the slightly sagging tummy, I have almost no fat. That is encouragement enough for me! :-D

Good luck in your journey!
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your age, how much you have to lose and how fast you lose it.

There are vitamins which help with the elasticity of your skin: fish oil, greens (from gnc), green tea and one other one (I cannot recall the name off hand).

After you lose the weight, it takes at least one year for your skin to fully adjust. It is recommended to not have plastic sugery until after that time period because of this.
  • helena260
    helena260 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You are correct!!it will help some but it will not take away all of the loose skin!! Many people need surgery to remove it!!:happy:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 with 100+ more to go. I do see a tiny bit. around my belly right @ the belly button area.
  • bex481
    Options
    I think I will definitely have it on my stomach. I had 4 c-sections in 8 years and have a "pooch" from them stapling the incision too tight. Don't see that EVER going away!! Plus LOTS of stretch marks. As long as I can conceal it I feel ok about it. Thanks for all the encouragement!! Good luck to everyone!!
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've lost 51 lbs so far and haven't had an issue with loose skin. I do lots of cardio, make sure I stay hydrated and a few months ago I started strength training. I also do dry body brushing, which I started a few months ago and I can see a difference in my skin. This is NOT a cure-all but if done daily as it should be, it will help but you must be patient. I'm including a link where I learned about it and please don't get overwhelmed by the long list of instructions; I just start at my feet and work my way up to my neck area in long strokes....about 6-10 on each body part and it's really that simple. Work towards the heart. It only takes me a few minutes each day before I get in the shower. I also bought a loofah, which I use in the shower w/liquid soap and it does the same thing. Good luck :flowerforyou:

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/healingtechniques/dry_brushing_technique.htm
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I decided to take my weight loss slowly and make sure I get alot of exercise in. So far so good. It has been shrinking with me. People that I have heard with this problem are those that don't exercise and lose quickly. Will I have no loose skin when I reach my goal. I doubt it but I think that I will have minimized it by how I am losing. I can see my stomach disapearing as I go. I have had c-sections too and am older. My one plateau really helped in this regard so they even have their uses. Even those who lost fast and didn't exercise as much have had results from exercising after the loss but you have to give your body some time. So wait until you decide what to do after losing. No need to have surgery for what your body can do on its own.
  • DropsOJupiter
    DropsOJupiter Posts: 131
    Options
    I have lost 135 pounds so far and yes I have saggy skin on upper arms, breast, stomach and upper legs. I have lost this over the past 1 1/2 years without any surgical intervention and have exercised the entire time.

And yes, I will have surgery to remove excess skin on stomach (tummy tuck for weight loss covered by insurance) and for upper arms (not covered) for my own vanity. My upper arms have always been an issue for me. As for the rest, I'll think of it as battle scars for an improved lifestyle--unless I win the lotto!
  • MMiles96
    MMiles96 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good Luck to you, my ultimate goal is to lose 150 lbs, to be 1/2 the size I am now. I have been working on this since Feb and just today reached 20 lbs!!