Thoughts about treadmills?

Options
13»

Replies

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    As someone who can't run outside south Louisiana weather and a medical condition. I love the treadmill I can increase the speed and incline. I can just zone out for an hour and not have to worry about getting hit by a car or have any of the distractions that running outside has.
  • rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with my treadmill. My preference is to run or walk outside and enjoy the fresh air and change of scenery.

The only time I like using it is when the weather outside is under 30 degrees or icy. I've run two half marathons, both in spring and having the treadmill saved my *kitten* plenty of times and kept my training schedule on track.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have invested in a treadclimber. Way faster in terms of results. But... more expensive and there is always that!
    It's a glorified treadmill. Besides, weight loss happens based on food intake/calories burned and not exercise. One could be the best exerciser in the world, but if they eat more than they burn, they'll gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    meh....I use the treadmill in the morning because I won't run around the block with the kids alone sleeping. Works for me. I prefer trail running, hate running on the street - too hard on my knees. Like pp said, better than nothing, and it's all personal preference.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I workout at the gym 5 days a week, and on 4 of those days, I use the treadmill to do a finisher (either HIIT sprints, or some hills). On the 6th day I just do a 60 minute low intensity active recovery run.

I love using the treadmill because -

1. It's right at the gym and I can go from my workout to the treadmill with no rest (that's why it's called a workout finisher).
    2. I can get the exact running workout I want (i.e. for HIIT I can hit the exact incline and speed I want, then I can adjust both as each combination gets easier over time, for running hills I can hit the exact incline/decline I want).
    3. Sometimes it's fun to pass the time watching other people work out.

I don't think running outdoors is bad, I just personally don't run to run, I run to get a workout and I can do that more easily at the gym.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have mixed views about treadmills. When I first started running, it was because I was bored of my normal routine at the gym and thought "I wonder how far I can run without dying?" and then became quickly addicted to trying to better myself. So, if they didn't exist, I don't think I would have ever started running.

The second reason I like them is because I use them to teach myself a new pace. I suck at pacing, I usually run far too fast so when I need to change pace, e.g. go from a 6min/km pace to 5:45/min pace, I do it on the treadmill for a bit because it forces you to run at one speed until it becomes a habit.

I also genuinely think treadmills are harder than outdoors running *runs to hide from the haters*. Before you all set fire to your pitchforks, let my explain why I think so:

1) When you run outside, you go up a hill (yuck) and then run back down it at some point (yaaaaaay!). However, on a treadmill, if you use the incline settings, you go up a hill (yuck) and then don't get the easy bit of running down it.
    2) Treadmills are boring. Seriously, dull as dishwater. So, if you can motivate yourself to run on them, then you build mental endurance like nothing else.
    3) It's always hotter in the gym without a breeze, even in the best air-conditioned of rooms, so again, it's harder to run.

However, those reasons are also the reasons I hate treadmills. So of course I would rather be outside, but, when it's stupid-hot or icy outside, they are the only way I am getting a run in.

So yes, that's my love-hate relationships with treadmills. I realise I'm now going to be eaten alive by 'real runners' for saying that treadmills are harder, so I'm going to go and hide in a cupboard until you're all done...
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I wish I would have invested in a treadclimber. Way faster in terms of results. But... more expensive and there is always that!
    It's a glorified treadmill. Besides, weight loss happens based on food intake/calories burned and not exercise. One could be the best exerciser in the world, but if they eat more than they burn, they'll gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Does not exercise burn calories?
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in week 5 of c25k and just started incorporating outdoor runs last week. Up until then, I was using the treadmill exclusively. I actually love the treadmill but was worried that if I trained exclusively on it, I'd get to race day and realize I couldn't run a 5k outdoors. So now my plan is to use both - the treadmill on days I need the convenience of having it at work, and outdoors on the days I have a little more time for my workout.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ^^^ Go Cougs!

(Father in law's alma mater, big Cougars football fan regardless of standings)

PS: getting off the treadmill in prep for race day is VERY wise. The two simply are not the same. Treadmill if you have to but if the goal is to run events outdoors, get thee outdoors as much as possible.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @mwyvr - Go Cougs! Agreed, and I'm very ready to see what Leach has for us this season. I'm going back for a couple games this year - absolutely can't wait for another season of Cougar football (even though they tend to be heartbreaking.)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    If I was training for a run, I definitely wouldn't do a treadmill! But never fear - I'll never train for a run!