How to get more proteins ? + some small questions

Options
General Info : 18 years old, I'm 157 lb, 5'4 and I want to drop to 130lb-140 lb. I plan on doing an hour or more of exercise everyday with a calories intake of 1600 including lost calories with exercise.

1. I lack protein in my diet, mainly because I am half vegetarian. Doctor suggested that I force myself to eat fish once in a while and/or chicken but I'm not 100% up for that let's say. Should I start drinking protein shake and eating protein bars?

2. I'm disabled so I can't go to the gym, I can't do social interaction and can't go too far away from home. I have a service dog that have to follow me everywhere. So you'd guess that exercise is a bit hard, any exercise I do, dog has to do it... And biking at dog's trotting speed isn't the most calorie burning. I figured that I could do those DVD and I kinda like Jillian Michael's 30 days shred. Any good result with that? Or other suggestions?

3. Except for walking, biking, running, jogging.. any other exercise that could be done with a dog? ( GSD )

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you can do the protein bars/shakes and still feel full enough not to eat more than your calories goals, they might make sense as supplements.

Exercise will be mostly for health, though it will help some with weight loss. If the DVDs keep you interested they, or youtube videos or whatever, sound like a good option.

I think you covered most of the obvious exercises. Can you swim while the dog chills by the pool?
  • KaellaSamm
    KaellaSamm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh didn't think of swimming! I don't have a pool and can't go at the public pool for disability reasons but I live where beaches and rivers and lakes are nearly everywhere so he could even swim with me! Thanks I didn't even considered that as an exercise lmao. Thanks for a quick answer.!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I just have to say that a dog is an excellent exercise partner. Can you play with the dog off-duty and play keep-away for instance?

For vegetarian proteins, have you tried beans, lentils, and tofu?
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    I would do protein bars. I have 6 meals a day. 3 - 4 of those are protein bars. At 160 calories and 20g of protein, its an easy and low cal way to pick up protein.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a vegetarian. You should be able to see my food diary. I get most of my protein from eggs, dairy (specifically Greek yogurt and cheeses like mozzarella and laughing cow swiss), beans, and occasionally soy products and meat substitutes. I do occasionally eat fish though.

As far as exercise, I'm not sure what your limitations are other than having your dog with you. I take my dog running/walking with me. She also sometimes goes with me and my husband to the beach. She doesn't like to swim, so she watches us. Hiking with her and playing ball with her are pretty good exercises for us. Kickboxing is a good exercise you can do at home while your dog watches. Or yoga for something lower impact.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    What's a half vegetarian? Do you mean you don't eat meat but do eat dairy, or are a vegetarian half the time?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There's lots of vegetarian friendly protein. Cheese, milk, yogurt, eggs, beans, lentils, seitan, etc.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Forgive my vegetarian ignorance, do you eat eggs? Eggs are a good source, cheese, beans, yogurt, protein shakes, almond milk. I love my Dymatize protein.

XT
    Elite
    Gourmet

You will have to check the ingredients to see if they fit in your diet. Each contain roughly 20+ grams of protein at roughly 130 calories each. This is my 3rd year cycling though almost all of the flavors from all three lines and I love them all.

As far as exercise, I think walking would be fine. It's something both you and your 'partner' can do anywhere for the rest of your lives. If you walk 45 minutes you are doing more good for your body than just fat loss / calorie burn. Additional, it's easy on your partners joints which will keep him/her mobile for a long, long time.

Do not get to hung up on intense exercise for weight loss. The majority of weight loss / fat loss comes from your diet, more specifically, a calorie deficit. Intense exercise will help with your cardio endurance, but walking for 45 minute or more will help with burning fat.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Erica262 wrote: »
    I'm kind of a vegetarian. You should be able to see my food diary. I get most of my protein from eggs, dairy (specifically Greek yogurt and cheeses like mozzarella and laughing cow swiss), beans, and occasionally soy products and meat substitutes. I do occasionally eat fish though.

As far as exercise, I'm not sure what your limitations are other than having your dog with you. I take my dog running/walking with me. She also sometimes goes with me and my husband to the beach. She doesn't like to swim, so she watches us. Hiking with her and playing ball with her are pretty good exercises for us. Kickboxing is a good exercise you can do at home while your dog watches. Or yoga for something lower impact.

this
    (except yoga can be as high or low impact as you want it to be.)
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    For vegetarian proteins, have you tried beans, lentils, and tofu?

When I asked a similar question about vegetarian protein a couple of weeks ago, someone suggested lentils to me. Glad they did, because a very small amount of lentils packs a lot of protein. I usually mix cooked red lentils with some hummus, which also has a little bit of protein.

As for exercise, 30 Day Shred is (in my humble opinion) a little bit tough at the beginning, although Jillian does a nice job of having a model demonstrate some less-strenuous versions of each exercise, which is helpful. It's on youtube, and so are a whole lot of other exercises and workout programs/routines. Good luck to you!