Need protein ideas!

Options
amaried621
amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
I would love to get some suggestions on high protein foods. I'm doing IIFYM and I have to hit 127 grams of protein and I am always under! Not so much dinner food but breakfast/lunch ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• MrFitness225
    MrFitness225 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Why not purchase a protein supplement?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Meats (Canadian bacon, steak, chicken); Eggs;; seafood & fish; Greek yogurt, Cottage cheese, Milk (Fairlife milk is the highest), beans, seeds/nuts
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    chicken, eggs, protein bars, greek yogurt. those are some protein staples.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Fennugreek seeds are high in protien per tblspn 2.6g @ 36 calories. Chia seeds are 4.7g per oz.@ 138 cal per oz.. I put hydrated fennugreek in yougurt or make tea with it and I make pudding out of chia or just put it in my tea...
  • DerrickBlack
    DerrickBlack Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kroger Instant organic oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder in it after "cooking"... Pretty tasty and 24g of protein with only 200 calories (depending on protein powder you use... I use ON protein energy in the AM).

Optimum nutrition - Chocolate protein energy, 2 scoop (15 g) 100 2 2 20 220 0
    Quaker - Instant Oatmeal Organic Regular, 1 packet 100 19 2 4 0 0

• amaried621
    Options
    I eat the typical chicken, eggs, meat, etc... just looking for some new ideas so I can switch it up. Protein bar suggestions? I am always struggling with staying within my carbs (130g daily) so something with a lesser amount of carbs is preferred.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the problem is less about protein and more about efficient protein... i.e. lots of protein, but not lots of fat. Right?

If that is the case, for breakfast - eggs, greek yogurt, protein bars.
    Lunch - Chicken, protein bars.

Or you could ignore the cultural norms to eat certain foods at certain meals / times of the day and do your own thing. That would allow you to eat chicken for breakfast and eggs for lunch.
  • amaried621
    Options
    I'm guessing the problem is less about protein and more about efficient protein... i.e. lots of protein, but not lots of fat. Right?

My goal is about 60g of fat which I'm usually under on as well :/

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    amaried621 wrote: »
    I eat the typical chicken, eggs, meat, etc... just looking for some new ideas so I can switch it up. Protein bar suggestions? I am always struggling with staying within my carbs (130g daily) so something with a lesser amount of carbs is preferred.

Quest or Combat crunch. They are all going to have carbs, but these seem to be the least.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Then eat sausage and bacon until you get close to your fat goal, then add a greek yogurt.
  • mitri23
    mitri23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I have the same issue with the fat. Try adding avocado to just about anything and walnuts for the good fat. Regarding the protein I would say greek yogurt is your best bet. Sometimes I boil chicken breasts and don't add anything to it after words...it tastes like fried chicken (Without the breading/skin obviously).

Anyone have any good ideas to make tofu bearable to get more protein?
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs,canned octapus 25grams a can,sardines,yogurt, cottage cheese,Meats
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mitri23 wrote: »

I have the same issue with the fat. Try adding avocado to just about anything and walnuts for the good fat. Regarding the protein I would say greek yogurt is your best bet. Sometimes I boil chicken breasts and don't add anything to it after words...it tastes like fried chicken (Without the breading/skin obviously).

I hope you mean broil! ;-)
    Anyone have any good ideas to make tofu bearable to get more protein?

I really like it in a stir fry. Pan fry it with your vegetables, add to rice, add soy sauce or--if you prefer--make some kind of spicy dressing (I like soy, sriracha, and fish sauce, with maybe some lime). Another seasoning that goes great with a tofu stir fry is Japanese seven spice. (See, e.g., http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/japanese-seven-spice)