Options
alanmonks
alanmonks Posts: 115 Member
Is anyone doing this?

Replies

• FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it occasionally. I don't recommend except for those trying to really get lean (below 10% body fat). Even then, it can backfire and cause weight gain.

For someone overweight, a simple calorie deficit with exercise is probably the best approach.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    FitnessTim wrote: »
    I've been doing it occasionally. I don't recommend except for those trying to really get lean (below 10% body fat). Even then, it can backfire and cause weight gain.

For someone overweight, a simple calorie deficit with exercise is probably the best approach.

How does IF cause weight gain?
  • rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I just started IF last week.

You might want to check out the IF Group here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Some people when they break the fast go nuts with their intake and wind up in a caloric surplus...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    alanmonks wrote: »
    Is anyone doing this?
    I have done it. Worked fine. Nothing magical about it. Look at it like a tool in your fat-loss toolbox to be used when needed...
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, but there is a program I follow where you do that 4-6 days a month (2 in a row works best). Not too bad. But we get wafer snacks and chocolates to keep our blood sugar up so we don't pass out lol
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    2+ years. Love it, don't miss breakfast at all. I've done a cut, bulk, and recomp. Calories are still king.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options

For me personally, after I fast, I tend to have the urge to overeat - the cravings are extreme once I start eating again. This effect could vary depending on the individual. I believe someone with experience dealing with this can compensate for that effect and experience a net loss of weight, otherwise there's the risk to fall off the wagon and binge eat.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's a great tool if you're already pretty lean and want to get sub 10% - I'm specifically thinking about the Berkhenesque version of it.

It's unnecessary if you're just overweight and want to lose a few (or more) pounds. Just stick to a calorie deficit.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    About once a week I'll stop eating at 8pm and I'll resume at 5:00 pm the next day. So 21 hours. I'm overweight and I find that it just gives me a boost and allows me to eat an extra 50-100 calories the other days.

I don't understand the eating in surplus when its over. On more than one occasion I've fasted without meaning to. I'm just not hungry. I imagine it could be hard for people who are used to eating more frequently. I eat like maybe 2 large meals a day. Sometimes it's one large.
  • rylant8
    rylant8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use it on the weekends sometimes if I know I'm going to be home all day, it keeps me from snacking later on and forgetting to record the snacks.
  • strangeling06
    strangeling06 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was doing it for a while. I just stopped eating around 7pm or so and didn't eat again until 11am. I've never been big on eating breakfast, so it wasn't a big deal for me. It can help by creating an eating window and help from going over on calories, but if you binge out in that window it defeats the purpose.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I love it. Use it 90% of the time while cutting unless I'm just ridiculously hungry in the morning. It's pretty simple, the fewer times you eat a day, the larger the portions can be given that your caloric intake stays constant. I like bigger meals (normally I eat twice a day).
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm working on getting into a IF routine. I think it depends on your definition of Intermittent Fasting. Based on my research it can mean many things. I'm basically working towards eating all my calories for the day between 5 and noon. Why? Because I have an active puppy that I am trying to train and in the evenings, after I make her dinner I either forget to make my own or she is too distracting and its too late. Then I end up making bad choices or I just don't to eat. A few years ago I only ate breakfast everyday, my shape & weight were the best they've ever been. Granted, when I say I only ate breakfast I mean I ate steamed veggies, a huge meat & cheese omelet, and toast (and the plate was loaded). I purposefully ate as much as I could and only ate again in the afternoon if I was actually hungry. I never was. I wasn't even trying to lose weight it was just so hot in the summer and I worked outside, eating is unappetizing when you are too hot.

So, yeah, Im trying IF.
  • alanmonks
    Options
    This is what I st
    For some people, like me, it serves as a tool to allow eating more food for dinner.

There seem to be some studies that suggest it's a great fat blaster for people that want to get very lean. They don't know why it works, but it does.

For me, I don't eat after 8pm, nor before noon the next day. It's that simple. My fiancé and I both do it. I don't suffer or have any issues with being hungry. Although, I have to eat at noon. My work sometimes tries to hold meeting over lunch, and I'm like, "hell no to that noise".

This is what I started yesterday, the 16:8. Going to do it in work as I'm busiest then and don't think so much about food. Stop eating at 8 and start again at 12 the next day. 1st week.
  • alanmonks
    Options
    In terms of energy and general feeling g, is everyone's energy up and feeling good? I know done right it will give great weight loss but I'm also after the way "I'm feeling too"
  • jklicka
    jklicka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got up this morning and decided not to eat today. I've been working out like crazy (for me, at least), and on most days, end up with a calorie deficit. Sometimes the scale gives me good news, other times, like the last few days, it goes up by a half pound or even a pound a day. How can it take me days to lose a half pound, but overnight I can gain a half pound? I know - weight fluctuates daily, and since I've been working out, I'm also building muscle, which weighs more, but at some point, the pounds have to come off, right? I'm super frustrated and can't reach even a short-term, realistic goal, so for today, every time I'm hungry, I'll be chugging a big glass of water. Maybe it will jump start something.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jklicka wrote: »
    I got up this morning and decided not to eat today. I've been working out like crazy (for me, at least), and on most days, end up with a calorie deficit. Sometimes the scale gives me good news, other times, like the last few days, it goes up by a half pound or even a pound a day. How can it take me days to lose a half pound, but overnight I can gain a half pound? I know - weight fluctuates daily, and since I've been working out, I'm also building muscle, which weighs more, but at some point, the pounds have to come off, right? I'm super frustrated and can't reach even a short-term, realistic goal, so for today, every time I'm hungry, I'll be chugging a big glass of water. Maybe it will jump start something.

Wow. Right, so you're not going to eat at all today because of the scale?

Seems sensible.

How are you so sure you're building muscle? I reckon you're eating more than you think, and you're either gaining water weight or you've actually gained some fat from over-eating due to inaccurate logging.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    jklicka wrote: »
    This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth, you should not be fasting...