Do you eat or snack before a workout or after?

Options
I'm starting tomorrow for sure but I am not certain on how to eat lol

Replies

• plaffo786
    plaffo786 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like two slices of deli chicken befor not sure on what the experts advise but I try to follow a high fiber high protein for days when working out, I'm liking the results so far
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I get stomach issues if I eat before my workout, so I eat a snack after.
    But it is completely personal.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I eat every three hours or so, so it's pretty much unavoidable to eat near my work-out.I don't add a snack before, though, but I am usually famished once done (like, right after), so I try to plan my work-out either before lunch, before dinner, or before my evening snack. Not before breakfast because I need to have some food in me before moving and I wake up with my stomach growling.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I always eat after. It is easier to focus on getting to the gym if I do not have to plan for food first.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I eat a full meal before any significant sustained period of exercise.

I don't eat in the period immediately after exercise as I don't feel like it.

As with most things it's completely personal and not down to a set of arbitrary rules.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals

I am working to get my mitochondrial capacity increased to burn more body fat as a preferred source.

I work out fasted in the mornings and eat lower carb to force it.

Many use pre workout drinks with great energy and success

It gets down to what your goals are.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Neither, I am 3-a-day girl
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    3 options for me:
    1, dinner at 12 + train at 17 and only take preworkout
    2, dinner at 12 + train at 17 and only take glucose + bcaa powders mixed in water
    3, eat about 2 before training and nothing else
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 times a day, so yes! Through the week I do circuit training straight after work so I have a green smoothie about 2 hours beforehand, then a protein shake straight after. On the weekends I do yoga early in the morning, then I'll just have coffee and an apple. Downward dogs and inversions with too much in your stomach is a recipe for disaster.
  • nickimassee
    nickimassee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You should be eating before and after your workout to fuel your body. You don't need anything big before, just some carbs such as oatmeal. Post workout you need to refuel your body with protein and carbs as well as fats!
  • FitTiff89
    FitTiff89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should be eating before and after your workout to fuel your body. You don't need anything big before, just some carbs such as oatmeal. Post workout you need to refuel your body with protein and carbs as well as fats!

Yup!! You said it !! Some sort of carbs before you workout (pre) will help you push through your workout and keep your muscles happy and you should most definitely consume some sort of meal immediately after your workout (post) such as a protein shake :smile:
    Getting the right amount nutrition at the right time is key and you will see results like crazy!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I eat a small snack 1-2 hours before a workout. Afterwards I never want to eat for at least an hour. I usually work out in the evening, so I come home, shower and then make dinner. I don't eat anything special before or after a workout.
  • Suzmp88
    Suzmp88 Posts: 48 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    On a typical day I will have a snack bar or almonds 1-2 hours before a work-out (I will feel sluggish if I don't). Dinner is about an hour after. On weight lifting days, I try to get a half cup of liquid protein soon after the work out is over to help my muscles rebuild.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Depends. If I'm doing a 2-3 hour bike ride, and I haven't eaten in a few hours, I will need to eat something before and during my ride, if I don't, I won't have enough energy! (cliff bar anyone?) Normal workouts I generally prefer to eat something afterward, really depends on what works best for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Some of the newer research would suggest that as long as you have some carbs/pro, 2 hours before or after, you should be good. I tend to do after just because eating before will make me want to throw up.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I only "snack" before or after a workout if it's going to be intense and longer than an hour.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Both. I work out for 90 minutes, so doing it on an empty stomach makes me nauseous. Post-workout is all about getting in some protein for muscle recovery since I lift weights. Plus, I like to eat and will make any excuse to do it. I have a Quest bar right before I work out (I don't wait 2 hours because I lift at 4 in the morning) and something like eggs, protein pancakes, etc. right afterward.

Do whatever works best for you. Some people like to do fasted workouts and it works just fine for them.
  • MidoAm
    MidoAm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast and sometimes lunch like 2-3 hours before working out then in like 30 minutes before the workout itself I like to eat a banana or an apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter gives me good energy.
  • MidoAm
    MidoAm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh and post workout well, that's a different story. You would need protein and carbs.
  • jaztazcast
    jaztazcast Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank yall! Good and different answers than I expected. The thing is some people will say to eat before so you're energized & lose basically what you ate and after you can have a shake or small snack. And some are saying to do it after. Im trying to lose weight because I've made bad food/drink decisions all the time and it just didn't fly with me anymore. So I'm taking every single advice. Thanks.