Are calories burned correct??

Options
I recently went on a 2hr 5 mile walk. Map My Walk showed that I had burned off 769 calories. I also used Samsungs S Health at the same time which showed I had burned off 548 calories. My weight and height were programmed into both correctly. I just did a quick test with 3 walking apps enabled. I walked for 15 minutes. Map My Walk showed 71 calories burned, S Health showed 24 calories burned and Endomondo showed 45 calories burned. I am now just so confused. Can anyone please help??

Replies

• tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    They all estimaaaaate, so there's that. Stick with one and let it be your guide. You'll then know if you're under or over on your daily activity. If you find your not losing (or gaining or maintaining) just recognize it, and adjust.

It's a watchdog to make sure you're active, leave the accuracy to the bean counters.
    No offense to bean counters :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    always go with the lowest one.

and understand that one is probably high. LOL
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's crazy isn't it? It's always better to underestimate your calorie burns so keep that in mind when trying to decide how to handle this. Honestly, a heart rate monitor with a chest strap is going to be the most accurate way to measure the calorie burn from a walk or any steady state cardio activity. However, I will admit that when I was first using MFP 4 years ago I found that its calculation of my walking calories were pretty close to what my HRM calculates. Walking and running calories are the only two things I trust MFP to calculate for me. For anything else its the HRM.
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Even the calories on the nutrition are estimates. One was is to essentially take the food pot it in a chamber and burn the food.the amount of energy released is quantified by the rise in temperature of water. An Estimate! Even the Atwater system for determining calories in food uses average amounts based on if it's a fat, protein, etc but still just an estimate.
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A better determination for calories burned might be with a heart monitor with some other stats like Weight.