Headaches?? Is it hunger??

Options
Well I just recently decided to get back into my good eating habits. But right off the bat the first day I get these massive headaches. I used to get those when I was really hungry. I eat and they go away for awhile, but I feel like I constantly have to have something in my mouth in order for the headache not to reappear. And of course if I cave and eat unhealthy my headache will go away but I will feel awful :(.
I am eating the right amount of calories.
Anyone else have this problem? I am hoping this is temporary.
Any ideas why this might be?
I am eating the right amount of calories as well, so I know I am not starving.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, define eating "unhealthy". Are you eating more calories than your goal, or have you defined certain foods as "unhealthy" and removed them from your diet?
  • Dex37
    Dex37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try to drink more water.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dex37. I get bad headaches when I'm dehydrated and drinking more water helps me.
  • mami_d_3
    mami_d_3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What is the right amount of calories?

I am at 1200 with no exercise then if I work out I increase it some.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    How many calories are the "right amount"? How long have you been eating these "right amount" of calories?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    If you've given up caffeine in your attempt to avoid "unhealthy" foods, that might be the source of your headache. I'm actually having issues with headaches right now due to increased humidity and changes in barometric pressure (typical summer in the Northeast). I also have issues with dehydration headaches if I don't drink enough. If you have increased your workouts, make sure you're getting enough water. I've also tried increasing the potassium in my diet and taking potassium and magnesium tablets.
  • mami_d_3
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Also, define eating "unhealthy". Are you eating more calories than your goal, or have you defined certain foods as "unhealthy" and removed them from your diet?

My bad eating was a little of both.. More calories, and also eating most things classified as unhealthy.. ie processed foods, eating out etc etc.
  • mami_d_3
    Options
    Dex37 wrote: »
    Try to drink more water.

I am drinking about 8-10 16.9 oz bottles of water per day.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    mami_d_3 wrote: »

Sounds like you can eat more food.
  • mami_d_3
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    If you've given up caffeine in your attempt to avoid "unhealthy" foods, that might be the source of your headache. I'm actually having issues with headaches right now due to increased humidity and changes in barometric pressure (typical summer in the Northeast). I also have issues with dehydration headaches if I don't drink enough. If you have increased your workouts, make sure you're getting enough water. I've also tried increasing the potassium in my diet and taking potassium and magnesium tablets.

Yes, I have given up caffeine.. mostly sodas, I don't drink coffee.

• mami_d_3
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Sounds like you can eat more food.

I will try to increase it , see if that helps some.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Yes, I have given up caffeine.. mostly sodas, I don't drink coffee.
    Sounds like a recipe for headaches (lower calorie goal, cutting out caffeine). Try drinking sodas again (diet if you want to limit calories), and then wean yourself off of them. Should help with the headaches if they are caffeine induced.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Many people do get "withdrawal headaches" when they give up caffeine, so if you were drinking Coke or pepsi, that might explain it. I hate to recommend someone switch to diet soda because it's awful stuff, but I like the Arizona diet ice teas in the summer, either the black or green tea. It's quite refreshing and might keep your caffeine level up enough to avoid the headache. Also, if you're young and exercising, use MFP to calculate your exercise calories and eat at least half of them back. 1200 is more what old, short folks like me would eat.
  • mami_d_3
    Options
    Many people do get "withdrawal headaches" when they give up caffeine, so if you were drinking Coke or pepsi, that might explain it. I hate to recommend someone switch to diet soda because it's awful stuff, but I like the Arizona diet ice teas in the summer, either the black or green tea. It's quite refreshing and might keep your caffeine level up enough to avoid the headache. Also, if you're young and exercising, use MFP to calculate your exercise calories and eat at least half of them back. 1200 is more what old, short folks like me would eat.

I am going to give the tea a try. Thank you so much..