Options
bchgrl82
bchgrl82 Posts: 9 Member
has anyone ever done slimfast? What was the results

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I did it in college. It tasted terrible, left me feeling hungry most of the day, and whatever I managed to lose I gained back once I quit the program because itdoesn't teach you anything about nutrition, portion sizes, or maintenance. I'm sure there are some people who've been successful on it, but they seem to be a minority in the long run.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I haven't used that since the late 80s or so. It had a lot of fiber in it which had me running to the bathroom pretty often. And I agree with Dianne, it won't teach you how to eat to maintain your goal weight unless you are intending to follow the plan for the rest of your life. Save your money and simply track your food so you're eating less than you burn each day.
  • louminouche
    louminouche Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am doing this right now. Lemon juice in water on waking, coffee, then at 11 am first slimfast and 3 pm another slimfast, 6 pm dinner - tonight spaghetti bolognaise and banana and a chunk of cheese. I started to declutter my home and decide to declutter my diet - my stomach has shrunk and once a day I am able to eat what I like. My skin looks better - probably due to the amount of water I am drinking - my hair shinier - i am losing 2 lbs to 3 lbs a week (I have 60 more to lose). It has taken away a lot of the decision making and mental struggle to decide what food to eat - and I am spending less on groceries. Slimfast is often on special offer and I stock up. My husband has not even noticed as he is out to work for two of my meals. Not for everyone but right for me.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I tried it a little while ago. The shakes were really good (like flavored milk). But honestly, since losing weight is about calorie deficit, it really wasn't worth it. It gets expensive - and I can have a plate of rice, roasted veggies, and chicken for the same calorie content that's in a SlimFast shake and it fills me up soooo much more than the shake did. Plus, after drinking a sugary shake for 2/3 meals, it kind of got old, taste-wise. I'm a sugar fan, but it was a little bit much.

(Note: even the supporter above admits that it leaves them hungry, e.g. "my stomach has shrunk")

If it technically leaves you under your calorie count, you're going to lose weight. However, successful weight loss is about sustainability - so before you invest, ask yourself "can I keep doing this for a long period of time?"

Just saying, there are much more satisfying (and cheaper) ways of going about it. I've lost 80lbs on living by a calorie deficit - no special tricks or gimmicks required.
  • tinkytootie
    tinkytootie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started Slimfast on June 1st and have lost 8lbs with minimal exercise so far (today is June 16th). I have a shake for breakfast and dinner and my meal for lunch. My snacks are either a Slimfast 100 calorie snack, fruit or nuts. I am drinking the high protein shakes which have low carbs and sugar (compared to the regular Slimfast shakes).

In my opinion they don't taste bad at all, but I guess everyone has their own preferences. The high protein only comes in two flavors right now and that's vanilla and chocolate.

It seems to be working for me and better than numerous other programs that I have tried. I will repost after it's been a full month and let you know what my results are then.

Hope this helps!
  • glortard
    glortard Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think it will give you a short term fix but will not educate you in any way. I think for the long term its better to change how you eat and shop. You need to be in control so you start to get an idea what calories are in food especially stuff that you used to eat frequently.
  • teresa_garcia29
    teresa_garcia29 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow...I haven't had slimfast in quite a while...Let us know how it goes.
  • amberskinner
    amberskinner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well it has been a month......
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    years ago i did. they tasted good. however it wasn't sustainable and i eventually gave it up. I'm not sure i even lost weight on them i don't think i did it long enough to know. but if you're at a caloric deficit you will lose weight regardless of the slim fast shake or not.