Workout Morning or Night?

Options
2»

Replies

• angie_momof3
    angie_momof3 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the people that said whenever you can fit it in. I do a 30min workout while my baby naps in the morning and then my 30 min c25k run in the evening after I put my baby down to sleep for the night.
  • kidcuba176
    kidcuba176 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    sugarkiss6 wrote: »
    Hi today is my first day to calorie counting and exercise so when is "the best" time to work out . if there is such a thing. Its about 50/50 from the people I asked ,I want to know so I can get this right. Thanks

Forget all that noise

In the AM when your stomach is empty and you have the most energy to put in to a good solid workout. Besides it won't mess with your sleep and the thermogenic effects are better when your awake and your metabolism is active. Trust this. I just lost 9 pounds in five days. Lol and yes I'm fine.
  • victoriaamarie1330
    victoriaamarie1330 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is the time that you will workout. For just general health and wellness, time doesn't matter, as long as you do it. For me in particular, I am very busy so I workout in the mornings to get it in and I also feel as though it is a great way to start my day.
  • mhdashler
    mhdashler Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I primarily workout within 30 minutes of waking up. I would prefer to workout in the evenings after work. Even though I have set office hours, the problem I ran into is that I tend to work late somewhat frequently. If not, I often find myself stressed and tired when I finish a days work. Even though exercising is the best way to combat that stress, it is hard for me to stay motivated and go in the evenings. I also have children at home that I love spending time with. So for me, I am much more consistent when I work out in the mornings and I don't have to sacrifice any family time (my wife goes with me in the mornings).
  • mhdashler
    Options
    Lonnad1 wrote: »
    [Just wondering if you eat breakfast before or after your workout? I will probably have to switch to morning workouts and was wondering about when to eat breakfast.

That totally depends on your body. It will vary depending on what your body will tolerate during your workout. I workout on an empty stomach, but no others that need a few calories before their workout to get better results. I can't do any type of intense workout with food on my stomach. I drink a cup or less of water after waking up and then get at it. There have been mornings where I was really hungry before I started my workout and am able to tolerate a half of a banana or so. I normally have a protein shake after I workout. I don't normally eat breakfast until after I shower, so I am normally eating about two hours after I wake up.
  • mhdashler
    Options
    [Just wondering if you eat breakfast before or after your workout? I will probably have to switch to morning workouts and was wondering about when to eat breakfast.

That totally depends on your body. It will vary depending on what your body will tolerate during your workout. I workout on an empty stomach, but no others that need a few calories before their workout to get better results. I can't do any type of intense workout with food on my stomach. I drink a cup or less of water after waking up and then get at it. There have been mornings where I was really hungry before I started my workout and am able to tolerate a half of a banana or so. I normally have a protein shake after I workout. I don't normally eat breakfast until after I shower, so I am normally eating about two hours after I wake up.
  • sugarkiss6
    sugarkiss6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    kidcuba176 wrote: »
    Hi today is my first day to calorie counting and exercise so when is "the best" time to work out . if there is such a thing. Its about 50/50 from the people I asked ,I want to know so I can get this right. Thanks

Forget all that noise

In the AM when your stomach is empty and you have the most energy to put in to a good solid workout. Besides it won't mess with your sleep and the thermogenic effects are better when your awake and your metabolism is active. Trust this. I just lost 9 pounds in five days. Lol and yes I'm fine.

• sugarkiss6
    Options

Forget all that noise

Forget all that noise

Well this Is what I did today I worked out on an empty stomach and it felt better than last night. after a dinner I worked out but I was super tired and I was exhausted from my day and I kept pushing it further as I added things to do . thanks
  • sugarkiss6
    Options
    mhdashler wrote: »

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna look into the protein shakes too
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it most in the morning before food is in my belly. Just more comfortable with me and running. I'm ok with doing strength or lower impact at night. Also, I schedule a lot of my work outs just like I do MD appts. I think of them that way, so I don't cancel them.
  • sugarkiss6
    Options
    jclist1 wrote: »
    As said by a few people, the best time is when you will do it. For me, I know that if I do not get my workout in sometime in the morning, then it probably will not happen. Find what's best for you, and do that. It's that simple.

Thanks for the advice I found it easier to workout this morning than I did last night , being so busy and their is always something to do I kept pushing it back so I worked out later than I wanted . thanks
  • sugarkiss6
    Options
    The best time to workout is the time that you will workout. For just general health and wellness, time doesn't matter, as long as you do it. For me in particular, I am very busy so I workout in the mornings to get it in and I also feel as though it is a great way to start my day.

Thank you, me too I feel since I am a morning person this is best for me ,I think I might throw in a light walk at night too
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I go through phases where I fare better in the evenings, and then some where I prefer to wake up early.

In the end it doesn't matter, the best time is any time you actually do it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    best time is whatever times works for your schedule and youll stick to.

i prefer morning. but im a morning person.

but twice a week i have an evening class (only available in the evening)... so on tues and thurs... its evening. LOL
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Overall best time is when it is best for you schedule wise but if you have cart Blanche then I would say train fasted in the morning (of your body can handle) to burn fat. (IMHO). I tend to have more energy when I train fasted around 6pm but I suspect it's because my 11am lunch has refueled the energy stored in my muscles by 6pm. Technically the food should have digested in the time between lunch and gym. Training fasted for more fat burning but when I want to go for performance I eat a little bit before gym.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yes anytime is a good time, me personally I like to knock it out in the morning, then I do more during idle times throughout the day.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I do and like both.
    Morning workouts give me a really satisfied feeling all day long. But I also like that after evening workouts I can just relax without obligations.
    My absolute favorite was working out from 6 - 7 though, because I loved coming home and feeling like I could have a huge (unhealthy dinner) afterwards. And since I was underweight at the time being able to eat a huge dinner was great.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    All personal preference - I would prefer to work out in the morning, but I give it up so the wife can hit the gym in the morning before work. So I get the kids in the morning and we trade off after work, then I can work out at night.