I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• BrianDavidBy32
    BrianDavidBy32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing the ICF5x5 - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. What would you recommend as my cardio goal per week? Total minutes for the week? Intensity? How shouldn't think about that?
  • Palmeralex
    Palmeralex Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    BrianDavid did your forget your trousers?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    why HEAVY 5x5 via like an 8-12 rep circuit training program with weights at a gym. The typical ones certified trainers would put you on for weight loss?
    Because it's better at retaining lean mass and much more appropriate for a beginner. Many of the top beginner programs are 5x5 based.
    mfm143 wrote: »
    Great story and inspiration for all, I just began my weight loss journey - I'm 35, 5'8 and currently 195lbs - hoping to lose 60lbs. I am a 2x cancer survivor (4 yrs now) and mom to 3 so my body has been through a lot however that's why I know I can do this ! Just wanted to get some feedback on what I have been doing so far :

EXERCISE (5-6/wk): 30 min of HIIT on the treadmill 1:2 (1 min @ 5.0 and 2 min @ 2.7-3.0 @ 1.0 incline) *im trying to build my endurance - so I'll will be increasing once I master this speed.- just started 2 wks ago.
    I do standing strength training routines (light @5-10lb weights) from fitness blender via YouTube ( I have a bad knee and some joint pain so it's hard to kneel down on all 4s - abs, back, shoulders, and arms - I haven't really worked on my lower body as my legs get a pretty good burn from the treadmill

DIET: I am eating clean and low carb/clean carbs I.e. whole grains @ 13-1500 cal/day total and no eating after 6pm.

Is there anything you could suggest they maybe you think I'm missing?

My total weight loss thus far 5lbs ( 2 weeks on the journey)

Thanks in advance - sorry for the essay
    Let's start with the exercises. It's nearly impossible to do 30 minutes of HIIT. The idea of high intensity interval training is do go as hard/fast as you absolutely can for a brief period of time and do a short recovery. The high intensity phase cannot last a minute. A typically HIIT routine might go like this. Warm up 5 minutes, 10 intervals of 10 seconds high intensity and 50 seconds rest, 5 minute cool down. During high intensity 10 seconds, you go all out sprint. Literally as fast and hard as your body can go. In total it's 10 minutes in warm up/cool down and 10 minutes of actual intervals. As you adapt you can push it to 12-15 minutes worth of intervals. You should be SO tired by the end of the intervals you are exhausted. As for the weights, cardio is not a substitute for leg training. They are very different in nature. I do not like low weight, high rep work. It is inferior to lower rep higher weight work in most instances. For maintenance of lean mass (the reason we lift while we diet) it is most certainly inferior. I typically keep my rep ranges around 5 on the compound lifts and 8-12 on the isolation stuff. I usually recommend people do a beginners 5x5 routine when learning to lift. With knee issues you may have trouble with squats so you'd have to come up with a workaround that you can tolerate.

As for the diet, not eating after 6 doesn't do anything. That is an extremely old, and incorrect fitness myth. Feel free to eat whenever you want. It doesn't matter, only totals for the day really matter. There are no such thing as "clean carbs" table sugar and whole grains both end up the same in the end. Now I'm not saying eat nothing but sugar, but there just isn't a need to totally avoid it. 5 lb loss in 2 weeks is fine. It's a little too early to tell though as 2 weeks isn't enough time. See if you continue to see a steady weight loss. If you do not, it's probably not because your calories are too high (they do not seem to be). It will more than likely be caused by inaccurate tracking. It's a very common problem at first. Give this guide a read to improve your calorie counting skills http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1 Try and stay consistent with all your calorie counting and exercising. Consistency is the key to success in this game! Good luck!
  • vismal
    Options
    Palmeralex wrote: »
    Hi and thanks for your inspirational thread. I am 8 lbs away from my goal which is to be within 'normal' BMI. 40 year old male, exercise is running. Stretch goal is to be middle of normal BMI. I often fall short of my protein goal - my first question is, if I am 500 calories short of my daily goal, should I make up the calories with protein shake, or just enjoy the extra deficit. Second question, my polar watch shows me burn far more calories running than lifting (strong lifts 5x5). Should I still replace some running sessions with lifting, or just concentrate on calories? My plan was to reach target weight as priority, then think about the muscles. Thank you!!
    If you are short on protein, and have extra calories, absolutely have the shake. Remember that the calorie goal is just that, a goal. It's not a limit. You should try and hit the goal each day, not just come in under it. Running will always burn more calories than lifting. We don't lift for the calorie burn. Lifting, in conjunction with adequate protein intake, prevents the loss of lean mass while in a deficit. Running does not accomplish this. It is for that reason I always tell people prioritize lifting over cardio.
    were there stretch marks on your body from the weight gain ? im trying so hard to get rid of mine
    There were. There isn't much you can do about them. They fade over time but never really go away. Fortunately for me, if I have any kind of a tan, mine all but disappear unless you are looking very closely. During the winter time, they are much more noticeable, but I rarely have my shirt off so it works...lol
    If I'm doing the ICF5x5 - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. What would you recommend as my cardio goal per week? Total minutes for the week? Intensity? How shouldn't think about that?
    You can do whatever you want. Cardio simply adds to the deficit you create with diet. You can do as little as none, or as much as say 3 days a week. Depending on the type/length of cardio you can start to interfere with your recovery. If that happens decrease volume or frequency of cardio. I decent goal might be 3 sessions a week. If you are doing low intensity (walking, easy biking, etc) it can be longer sessions. If it's interval training or sprints choose shorter sessions.

• KeysGirl23
    KeysGirl23 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!! Nice Work!
  • Palmeralex
    Palmeralex Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I was expecting an updated picture by now LOL
  • vismal
    Options
    my avatar is current as of a few weeks ago. I'll do another mid August/early September at the end of my cut.
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    why HEAVY 5x5 via like an 8-12 rep circuit training program with weights at a gym. The typical ones certified trainers would put you on for weight loss?
    Because it's better at retaining lean mass and much more appropriate for a beginner. Many of the top beginner programs are 5x5 based.
    Great story and inspiration for all, I just began my weight loss journey - I'm 35, 5'8 and currently 195lbs - hoping to lose 60lbs. I am a 2x cancer survivor (4 yrs now) and mom to 3 so my body has been through a lot however that's why I know I can do this ! Just wanted to get some feedback on what I have been doing so far :

EXERCISE (5-6/wk): 30 min of HIIT on the treadmill 1:2 (1 min @ 5.0 and 2 min @ 2.7-3.0 @ 1.0 incline) *im trying to build my endurance - so I'll will be increasing once I master this speed.- just started 2 wks ago.
    I do standing strength training routines (light @5-10lb weights) from fitness blender via YouTube ( I have a bad knee and some joint pain so it's hard to kneel down on all 4s - abs, back, shoulders, and arms - I haven't really worked on my lower body as my legs get a pretty good burn from the treadmill

DIET: I am eating clean and low carb/clean carbs I.e. whole grains @ 13-1500 cal/day total and no eating after 6pm.

Is there anything you could suggest they maybe you think I'm missing?

My total weight loss thus far 5lbs ( 2 weeks on the journey)

Thanks in advance - sorry for the essay
    Let's start with the exercises. It's nearly impossible to do 30 minutes of HIIT. The idea of high intensity interval training is do go as hard/fast as you absolutely can for a brief period of time and do a short recovery. The high intensity phase cannot last a minute. A typically HIIT routine might go like this. Warm up 5 minutes, 10 intervals of 10 seconds high intensity and 50 seconds rest, 5 minute cool down. During high intensity 10 seconds, you go all out sprint. Literally as fast and hard as your body can go. In total it's 10 minutes in warm up/cool down and 10 minutes of actual intervals. As you adapt you can push it to 12-15 minutes worth of intervals. You should be SO tired by the end of the intervals you are exhausted. As for the weights, cardio is not a substitute for leg training. They are very different in nature. I do not like low weight, high rep work. It is inferior to lower rep higher weight work in most instances. For maintenance of lean mass (the reason we lift while we diet) it is most certainly inferior. I typically keep my rep ranges around 5 on the compound lifts and 8-12 on the isolation stuff. I usually recommend people do a beginners 5x5 routine when learning to lift. With knee issues you may have trouble with squats so you'd have to come up with a workaround that you can tolerate.

As for the diet, not eating after 6 doesn't do anything. That is an extremely old, and incorrect fitness myth. Feel free to eat whenever you want. It doesn't matter, only totals for the day really matter. There are no such thing as "clean carbs" table sugar and whole grains both end up the same in the end. Now I'm not saying eat nothing but sugar, but there just isn't a need to totally avoid it. 5 lb loss in 2 weeks is fine. It's a little too early to tell though as 2 weeks isn't enough time. See if you continue to see a steady weight loss. If you do not, it's probably not because your calories are too high (they do not seem to be). It will more than likely be caused by inaccurate tracking. It's a very common problem at first. Give this guide a read to improve your calorie counting skills http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1 Try and stay consistent with all your calorie counting and exercising. Consistency is the key to success in this game! Good luck!

• mfm143
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you this was really helpful! Should I be doing the intervals at an incline or do I just concentrate on the speed? Is there a way to do ICF 5x5 at home with limited weights or as a beginners routine - as I am just starting out I haven't built much strength yet - what weight should I try to begin with? Any links to videos/articles for beginners would be greatly appreciated - I have a Q about protein shakes - I make my own protein shakes as I cannot afford nor do I trust the artificial protein powder sources - are homemade shakes as affective as the powders?- mine usually consist of 0% fat free Greek yogurt/egg whites , ground flax seed, frozen fruits,and water/low fat milk. If you have a suggestion for a better/ cost effective alternative would love your feedback - Thanks :) Again
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi vismal!

BritBoogaloo inspired me to also post a pic of my progress here, since this thread and your youtube channel have really been a big help on my journey. Your no nonsense attitude helped me stay focused on the basics - stick to your calories and watch the overall trend - and not get distracted with minor details that really only matter to high level athletes. You also inspired me to challenge my views on gyms and actually ditch the home BW training and go lift heavy things. And now I'm actually joining a powerlifting group! Thank you for spending time helping all of us!

pr2qmswvcou4.jpg
    rmfqii9b78k7.jpg
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm 31 years old, 5' 9" and weigh 188 lbs. The circumference of my waist (navel) is 43". When I was in high school, I was around 145-150lbs.

What do you think is a realistic results goal? I am going to try:
    - ICF 5x5 as recommended by you M,W,F
    - Cardio 3 times a week (maybe 30-60 minutes a day)
    - 10 x BW for calories per day

What should my results target be. I want to be aggresive in fat loss as I can, while maintaining my leanbody mass. So is 2lbs a week a good, realistic goal? Therefore, if I want to lose 40 lbs, it should take about 20 weeks.

Does this sound realistic to you?

Thanks
  • mfm143
    Options
    Thank you this was really helpful! Should I be doing the intervals at an incline or do I just concentrate on the speed? Is there a way to do ICF 5x5 at home with limited weights or as a beginners routine - as I am just starting out I haven't built much strength yet - what weight should I try to begin with? Any links to videos/articles for beginners would be greatly appreciated - I have a Q about protein shakes - I make my own protein shakes as I cannot afford nor do I trust the artificial protein powder sources - are homemade shakes as affective as the powders?- mine usually consist of 0% fat free Greek yogurt/egg whites , ground flax seed, frozen fruits,and water/low fat milk. If you have a suggestion for a better/ cost effective alternative would love your feedback - Thanks :) Again

Update: I found a good beginners 5x5 program ( Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 Novice Program) and did it today ! While I was only using 20-30lbs of weight for ea exercise - hey its a start ( for a "very new to strength training" person- and as I build my strength I will definitely add more weight - thanks again for the inspiration
  • vismal
    Options
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »
    Hi vismal!

BritBoogaloo inspired me to also post a pic of my progress here, since this thread and your youtube channel have really been a big help on my journey. Your no nonsense attitude helped me stay focused on the basics - stick to your calories and watch the overall trend - and not get distracted with minor details that really only matter to high level athletes. You also inspired me to challenge my views on gyms and actually ditch the home BW training and go lift heavy things. And now I'm actually joining a powerlifting group! Thank you for spending time helping all of us!

pr2qmswvcou4.jpg
    rmfqii9b78k7.jpg
    This is absolutely awesome! Your progress speaks for itself! People need to understand exactly what can be accomplished by simply sticking to the basics! Can't wait to see how things have progressed at the 1 year mark! Keep up the good work and have fun powerlifting!
    Hi there,

I'm 31 years old, 5' 9" and weigh 188 lbs. The circumference of my waist (navel) is 43". When I was in high school, I was around 145-150lbs.

What do you think is a realistic results goal? I am going to try:
    - ICF 5x5 as recommended by you M,W,F
    - Cardio 3 times a week (maybe 30-60 minutes a day)
    - 10 x BW for calories per day

What should my results target be. I want to be aggresive in fat loss as I can, while maintaining my leanbody mass. So is 2lbs a week a good, realistic goal? Therefore, if I want to lose 40 lbs, it should take about 20 weeks.

Does this sound realistic to you?

Thanks
    2 lbs a week is going to be okay at first but it isn't likely that you'll be able to keep it up all the way to your goal. 40 lbs in 20 weeks is extremely aggressive for someone who really only needs to lose 40 lbs total. If you needed to lose 100, I'd say for in the first 20 weeks was viable. I'd shoot for an average of a lb a week weight loss. You will lose more the first few weeks due to water losses and glycogen depletion, but at 10 calories per lb, 2 lbs each and every week is probably not realistic. There is no rush. Body recomposition takes a VERY long time. It's more important to establish habits you can adhere to for the long haul then try to bust out of the gates sprinting only to burn out before you cross the finish line.

Update: I found a good beginners 5x5 program ( Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 Novice Program) and did it today ! While I was only using 20-30lbs of weight for ea exercise - hey its a start ( for a "very new to strength training" person- and as I build my strength I will definitely add more weight - thanks again for the inspiration
    Yes, ICF is a novice program. It's perfect for a beginner. As to books for beginning lifters, Mark Rippetoes "Starting Strength" is a great one and probably at your public library. For interval training, the incline doesn't much matter. You just need to create an environment that has you going absolutely all out for the high intensity portion. If that's no incline and a speed of 8 or a speed of 5 with an incline of 7, it doesn't matter. Just ensure you couldn't possibly go any harder/faster during the interval and that during the "rest" phase you are only going enough so that you are moving. I typically do HIIT on the elliptical when I do it (which is almost never) because you can change speed much more rapidly. I'll cruise at 5 mph or so during warmups and rest periods with resistance at 1 or 2. When the high intensity portion comes along I crank resistance to 8 and go as fast as my legs will take me. The advantage of the elliptical is you don't have to wait for it to ramp up like a treadmill. If you are doing 10 second intervals, the treadmill won't even reach it's speed/incline until the 10 seconds is almost up. The elliptical on the other hand changes resistance instantly and you can change speed simply by going faster/slower.

For protein shakes, think of them as food, not supplements. A protein shake does nothing more than provide protein for your diet. Making your own is just as effective as buying one. I will note that cost per gram of protein, whey protein is fairly cheap compared to whole foods so I don't often agree when people label protein shakes as "expensive". If you want a cheap protein and is of high quality (lab tested to include what it claims to include) I'd check out smartpowders.com and get their brand of whey. Just to note I am not affiliated with them in any way, I just know them to be the cheapest source of quality protein. I pony up the extra $$ for cellucor because I feel their brand tastes/mixes better, but if you want good quality for low price, smartpowders is the best I know of.
  • mfm143
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you this has been very helpful and motivating! So doing the 5x5 @ 3x a week plus 5 days @ 10-15 HIIT - what should my daily cals be at to achieve weight loss while supporting muscle strengthening.
    (5'8 195lbs : goal 60lbs weight loss)

P.S. Checked out smart powder - thanks - I'm not in the states so looks like $$$ for shipping - what about this one ?
    natural factors 100 % natural whey
    thr4tl0skas0.jpg

• vismal
    Options
    Thank you this has been very helpful and motivating! So doing the 5x5 @ 3x a week plus 5 days @ 10-15 HIIT - what should my daily cals be at to achieve weight loss while supporting muscle strengthening.
    (5'8 195lbs : goal 60lbs weight loss)

P.S. Checked out smart powder - thanks - I'm not in the states so looks like $$$ for shipping - what about this one ?
    natural factors 100 % natural whey
    thr4tl0skas0.jpg

You absolutely do not want to to do HIIT 5 days a week. It is extremely taxing on your body when done correctly. 2x a week max. If you wish to do cardio more often then 2x a week, do low intensity stuff like walking at an incline for the other 3 sessions. As far as that brand of whey, I don't know anything about the company so I can't really comment.

• mfm143
    Options
    Sounds good thanks again !
  • CadeIsaiahNelson302
    CadeIsaiahNelson302 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey so you obviously lost weight first, but my question is how did you get the six pack after? I've lost weight pretty well in the past but have struggled to build muscle. Did you cut to skinny and then build
  • BrianDavidBy32
    Options
    Hi Vismal –
    I really appreciate you taking the time. Can you please review my plan, and let me know if you think I’m missing anything or have interpreted anything wrong? I’ve interspersed questions throughout my plan.
    Current status:
    - 31 years old
    - 5’ 9”
    - 188 lbs
    - 43” waist around navel

My goal
    - Lose 40 lbs, which will hopefully reveal a six pack
    - I originally wanted to lose 2lbs a week (if it will not affect lean muscle – assuming I do all the other things right like protein requirements), but chose to be happy with 1 lb a week if it’ll make me less likely not to give up
    - So goal is 40 lbs loss in 40 weeks time – Does that sound reasonable? What do you think is the most aggressive goal which will still stay way from the risk of burn out? 40 weeks is longer than I would like. I just don’t want to sacrifice lean body mass if I do more aggressive than 1lb / week
    -
    Nutrition
    - 11 calories per lb of body weight
    - 0.8g+ of protein per lb of body weight
    - 0.45g+ fat per lb of body weight
    - Remainder in carbs

Resistance Training
    - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
    - ICF “cutting version”
    - 3 sets for main lifts, 2 sets for accessories

Cardio Training
    - Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
    - 25 minutes of vigorous-intensity cardio Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (to get the CDC recommended cardio benefits)
  • vismal
    Options
    Hey so you obviously lost weight first, but my question is how did you get the six pack after? I've lost weight pretty well in the past but have struggled to build muscle. Did you cut to skinny and then build
    That's basically it, yes. Cut weight until you are relatively lean, lifting weights the whole time to maintain muscle mass and possibly build strength. When you achieve relative leanness (not necessarily abs lean) you can start eating in a small calorie surplus. This is when you focus on building as much size/strength as possible while keeping fat gains minimal. After a doing that for 6-9 months, you do another fat loss phase to remove the fat added during the bulk. If you do things right, after a year of bulk/cut cycling you end up leaner and more muscular than when you started. It may take several cycles to gain a 6 pack.
    Hi Vismal –
    I really appreciate you taking the time. Can you please review my plan, and let me know if you think I’m missing anything or have interpreted anything wrong? I’ve interspersed questions throughout my plan.
    Current status:
    - 31 years old
    - 5’ 9”
    - 188 lbs
    - 43” waist around navel

My goal
    - Lose 40 lbs, which will hopefully reveal a six pack
    - I originally wanted to lose 2lbs a week (if it will not affect lean muscle – assuming I do all the other things right like protein requirements), but chose to be happy with 1 lb a week if it’ll make me less likely not to give up
    - So goal is 40 lbs loss in 40 weeks time – Does that sound reasonable? What do you think is the most aggressive goal which will still stay way from the risk of burn out? 40 weeks is longer than I would like. I just don’t want to sacrifice lean body mass if I do more aggressive than 1lb / week
    -
    Nutrition
    - 11 calories per lb of body weight
    - 0.8g+ of protein per lb of body weight
    - 0.45g+ fat per lb of body weight
    - Remainder in carbs

Resistance Training
    - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
    - ICF “cutting version”
    - 3 sets for main lifts, 2 sets for accessories

Cardio Training
    - Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
    - 25 minutes of vigorous-intensity cardio Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (to get the CDC recommended cardio benefits)
    40 lbs in 40 weeks is completely achievable. I'd be quite happy with that, and if you manage to do it faster, consider that a bonus. Nutrition looks fine for a starting point. You will have to adjust calories based on your actual results. The only thing I would caution is that expecting a 6 pack to be waiting for you after your initial fat loss phase may set you up for disappointment. While some genetically lucky individuals will find that to be the case, the majority of people do not. It took me a few rounds of bulk/cut cycles to achieve visible abs. If abs are your goal, you're going to need to drop the fat regardless of if you'll get them on the first cut or not, so the plan is still solid. Just don't get extremely disappointed if you find you still need to do a few bulking phases before you have decent abs. Most people do. I did.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!