Serving size of a food packed in water?

Options
Hey there,

I have a question, and it might seem obvious but for some reason I can't figure it out. I have a can of corn I'm putting into MFP. It's packed in sea salt and water.

Now, it says a serving size is "1/2 cup (125g)". Which is fine. But then gives the nutritional information for "undrained (1/2 cup)" and "drained (about 1/3 cup)".

How in the world do I accurately log this? I'm assuming the grams for the serving is including the water...

Replies

• R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'd log it as undrained, but eat it drained lol. But I do believe they would be roughly equal. Since the drained volume is smaller and I think they would have two nutrition graphs if the calorie info in the two sizes were vastly different. Hope this helps, I'm not 100% sure lol :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you drain it, use the drained option. If you don't, don't.

Sometimes people use the water veggies are packed in as part of the recipe, so they'd need to count it. If you aren't using it, don't count it. :)
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Sometimes people use the water veggies are packed in as part of the recipe, so they'd need to count it. If you aren't using it, don't count it. :)

I don't use the water, but I weigh my food and the label doesn't give a weight for the undrained product. So that's my issue.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I don't use the water, but I weigh my food and the label doesn't give a weight for the undrained product. So that's my issue.

Oooh maths. 83 grams for a third cup. 1/2c= 125 then 1 c is 250. Divided by 3 equals 83.33 grams per third cup.
    Since the third is approximate you should test this for accuracy. Weigh all then drain and see the difference. Or use cups. This is corn after all