What's the deal

Two weeks following diet and exercise plan. Gained a pound. What am I doing wrong?f16vzz3vhtk4.jpg

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Probably nothing. It's likely just water weight. It's pretty typical when you start a new exercise program.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    • Are you using an electric food scale?
    • Are you weighing foods accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?

Open your diary so we can see your logging. It could very well be water weight; take measurements too instead of just looking at the scale.
  • Not sure what all that means, but I'll open the diary.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    2 weeks is too soon to judge any new plan. Agree probably water retention (DOMS). Push the fluids and stick with the plan.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Way too soon. Took me nearly six weeks to show a loss.
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Not sure what all that means, but I'll open the diary.

I'm seeing a lot of cups.

Get rid of them.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member

Open your diary so we can see your logging. It could very well be water weight; take measurements too instead of just looking at the scale.

To translate this into something that might be more intuitive:
    Weighing your food with an electric food scale will give you a better idea of what you're actually eating. Cups are fine for liquids but if you're saying you're eating a cup of crackers, it's possible you're eating more than one serving. the food scale will get you the closest to the actual serving size. Points one and two in this

Point three: if you are not accurately measuring your calorie burns, this could also be an issue. If you're using MFP's estimations or the machine's estimations, you may be overestimating by quite a bit. If you get a heart rate monitor and use that to calculate your calorie burn, it will likely be more accurate.

Also, to agree with the post by Diane, if you've only just started, give it time. It won't happen over night.

• IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Forty6and2 wrote: »

To translate this into something that might be more intuitive:
    Weighing your food with an electric food scale will give you a better idea of what you're actually eating. Cups are fine for liquids but if you're saying you're eating a cup of crackers, it's possible you're eating more than one serving. the food scale will get you the closest to the actual serving size. Points one and two in this

Point three: if you are not accurately measuring your calorie burns, this could also be an issue. If you're using MFP's estimations or the machine's estimations, you may be overestimating by quite a bit. If you get a heart rate monitor and use that to calculate your calorie burn, it will likely be more accurate.

Also, to agree with the post by Diane, if you've only just started, give it time. It won't happen over night.

I didn't think my post was that hard to understand really :|
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Well, for somebody who has just started and might not know the acronym HRM and who might not know the benefits of weighing food rather than using cup measurements, it could be confusing. You seem to be knowledgeable which tells me that you've probably been on here for a little while but others don't have the exact same experience and might need a little more help
  • Thanks everybody. Figured it out. Put on some lean muscle and lost some body fat.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Thanks everybody. Figured it out. Put on some lean muscle and lost some body fat.

Probably not.

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Thanks everybody. Figured it out. Put on some lean muscle and lost some body fat.

Probably not.

Agreed.

Patience, consistency and some semblance of accuracy are critical.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

well....