From the "Sounds so awful I have to try It" files, I bring you "Sriracha Oatmeal"

Options
kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
edited July 2015 in Recipes
It smelled awful while cooking but is actually not bad.

tumblr_me243szofg1qe7n5yo1_500.jpg

Savory Sriracha Oatmeal recipe

“*kitten* A Doodle Doo” Savory Sriracha Oatmeal recipe
1 cup rolled oats (NOT instant)
2 cups water
Small handful whole cashews
1 tablespoon Bragg Liquid Aminos, or low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon Sriracha, plus more for happy squirting
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I used a non-stick pan, which eliminated the need for this)
2 large eggs (free-range and organic is best)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

In a small saucepan set over a medium heat, combine the oats, water, cashews, Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce), Sriracha, rosemary, and garlic. Bring it to a boil, cover, and lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the oats are cooked through, about 5 minutes.

While the oats are cooking, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Once the oil is hot, crack in the eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook the eggs to your desired consistency, though sunny side up is my preference so the yolk can ooze all over your oatmeal. For sunny side up, cook the egg (without flipping) until the whites are set and the yolk is still jiggly, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Spoon out the oatmeal, and top each serving with a fried egg. Drizzle a little bit of leftover oil from the egg pan over the plated oatmeal. Squirt additional Sriracha over all of it should you want a little extra heat. (And who doesn’t?)

Makes 2 hearty servings

Replies

• kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This sounds so interesting. You sure got the guts to think of something like this. Spicy oatmeal...?

I'll try to think of it positively like spice cinnamon flavor. LOL. Thanks for the wondering recipe!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    interesting a savory oatmeal
  • jaymie_x0
    jaymie_x0 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've been making something similar for quite awhile. So good
  • autumnpetals195
    autumnpetals195 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try mixing miso in with oatmeal! My friend made it for me and it's pretty good :) reminded me of Asian rice porridge
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    NO. lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Sriracha and oatmeal sound good. The rest can go away. Why eggs? If I want eggs, I wouldn't be eating oatmeal.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I'll let you enjoy it all...thanks. ;)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'd absolutely eat this. I hate oatmeal because it's usually sweet (I'm a savory kind of person) and this looks great!
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    *silent scream*
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    For those of you who'd like to try this but are having a hard time getting around oatmeal = sweet, you can try mentally reframing the oatmeal as "some exotic Thai grain to go with this Asian-flavored dish."

For those of you who are thinking "How disgusting!" - I'm with you - I was thinking that until the first bite.