MusclePharm workouts

Options
thop83
thop83 Posts: 47 Member
Hey Fitness fam, I had a quick question regarding the MusclePharm workouts; specifically the "On Blast" and "On Swole" workout lists. I've attached some examples of each and was hoping that someone would help me tell the difference between the two. Do they have any major differences (For example: Is one for packing on muscle while one is for cutting on fat, etc)?
34bc3f6910823545684e5320cea23fec.jpgBeiTHVKCYAA_NAk.jpg
BZeA8N6CMAAWQ2T.jpg
368ec0f674fc001a452f087984ff9600.jpg

Replies

• victoriaamarie1330
    victoriaamarie1330 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    "On Blast" and "On Swole" don't really have a difference. But their "Gut check" and "Circuit" workouts are more for weight training/cardio circuits for fat burning
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The Blast has slightly less broscience than the Swole.

I'd go with a proven, pro-designed program. :+1:
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The volume on these workouts seems entirely excessive and a proven recipe for tendonitis. Do these programs have a proven goal such as increased strength, hypertrophy, muscular endurance, etc.? Or are they trying to cater to the bro-science crowd with super-specific terms like "Swole"?

FYI- the guy in those ads is former NFL player Laron Landry who was suspended multiple times for PEDs and is currently out of a job.
  • thop83
    Options
    Mayor_West wrote: »
    The volume on these workouts seems entirely excessive and a proven recipe for tendonitis. Do these programs have a proven goal such as increased strength, hypertrophy, muscular endurance, etc.? Or are they trying to cater to the bro-science crowd with super-specific terms like "Swole"?

FYI- the guy in those ads is former NFL player Laron Landry who was suspended multiple times for PEDs and is currently out of a job.
    It may be excessive, but it puts my arms, as said, "on blast" and feels like it's working. I haven't had any form of pain that wasn't directly anticipated so no tendonitis as of yet.

As for the goal, that is what I'm asking. Whether or not they cater to the, as you said, "bro-science crowd" is what I'm trying to figure out but for now it seems like they're working fairly well for strength and mass building. I am simply trying to determine the difference between "on swole" and "on blast".
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

It may be excessive, but it puts my arms, as said, "on blast" and feels like it's working. I haven't had any form of pain that wasn't directly anticipated so no tendonitis as of yet.

As for the goal, that is what I'm asking. Whether or not they cater to the, as you said, "bro-science crowd" is what I'm trying to figure out but for now it seems like they're working fairly well for strength and mass building. I am simply trying to determine the difference between "on swole" and "on blast".

Just because you get a "pump" from a workout doesn't mean it is working to build muscle or anything else for that matter. A pump simply tells you that you did something.

As was stated before, the volume on these workouts is very excessive especially if you are in a deficit to lose fat.

But to answer your original question neither one is going to "cause" you to lose fat. Fat loss comes strictly from calorie deficit. LBM maintenance will come from lifting while in a deficit.

• thop83
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »

Just because you get a "pump" from a workout doesn't mean it is working to build muscle or anything else for that matter. A pump simply tells you that you did something.

As was stated before, the volume on these workouts is very excessive especially if you are in a deficit to lose fat.

But to answer your original question neither one is going to "cause" you to lose fat. Fat loss comes strictly from calorie deficit. LBM maintenance will come from lifting while in a deficit.

I'm more on the goal for a recomp or mass gain and not the fat loss. I wasn't necessarily talking about the pump, though it did give me one, but I've donethe workout for 2 weeks and have noticed gains.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Results from these workouts will definitely depend mostly on diet. I'm at a calorie deficit and am doing the "heavy" set of workouts and have lost about 2 lbs so far and can feel myself getting stronger (not bigger obviously) and improving my form.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

All lifting programs produce some results initially, since doing something is better than doing nothing. That doesn't mean a program is designed with proven training principles in mind, or that it's safe in the long term. Both those programs use excessively high volume, pointless supersetting, bizarre rep schemes, and redundant exercise selection. The Blast is the less horrible of the two. Since there are so many better options out there, why limit yourself to a supplement company's program??
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

All lifting programs produce some results initially, since doing something is better than doing nothing. That doesn't mean a program is designed with proven training principles in mind, or that it's safe in the long term. Both those programs use excessively high volume, pointless supersetting, bizarre rep schemes, and redundant exercise selection. The Blast is the less horrible of the two. Since there are so many better options out there, why limit yourself to a supplement company's program??

becuz Laron Landry
  • thop83
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

None of these are permanent and will only be used to get me through the next few weeks until I get to my school gym and change to a more long term routine. The initial gains are all that I need from these workouts and I agree, it's a ridiculous amount of reps and what not, but it is most definitely helping with strength and some muscle endurance and those are things that I wouldn't mind having.