Food ideas for fast food junky who needs help getting started

Options
ablalock0712
ablalock0712 Posts: 13 Member
I need help for easy ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat out everyday I'm trying to lose 70lbs. I have given this a try before but fell off because I didn't know what to eat. I don't know how to meal plan let alone cook. Please help me

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You're going to have to do some research and plan ahead for your day. It takes a while, but once you figure out what you can eat where, it becomes much easier!

1. Start by logging everything for a week and see where you are. That will give you a baseline for seeing where you're at and what you can start to adjust. Start slow, one or two things at a time, and give yourself time to get used to it. For me, I started with just switching the soda I had at lunch for unsweet tea with sweetener. That cut out about 200 calories without making any other changes!

2. Learn to cook. It's not hard, just takes some time. Check out a book called "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen" for a good easy start in cooking. You'll find that cooking a meal from (mostly) scratch can net you more food for your calorie allotment then you think.

3. Research restaurants you like to eat at and see what the calorie counts are on things. Most restaurants have that information either online or by request. Once you know what your calorie count is for the day, divide that up between however many meals you want to eat for the day. That lets you know what your limit is for each meal, and with calorie information from the restaurant, you can make decisions on what you can have when. Watching calories and losing weight when you mostly eat out is possible, just takes time and research to plan ahead.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You can still eat out. I'm not sure where you are located but I still eat at fast food restaurants. The key is to looking at their nutrition info online first. Last week I went to chic-fil-a. I got a 12 piece nuggets and a fruit salad. It was 435 calories. Today I had Zoup! for lunch. Got a piece of bread and a chicken pot pie soup. Together was about 400 calories. McDonald's has a nice 300 and under menu. At wendy's I get a cheeseburger and value fry for 420 calories. Or a chili and a baked potato. Lots of good options at fast food places these days. It is still easier to eat at home, but you can totally do this while eating fast food.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating out a lot as long as you make good choices. @dubird has some of the same suggestions I usually make.

Start slow. Simply log everything you're eating right now. Don't even worry about meeting your goal. Get a good idea what you've been eating and you'll have a better idea of the calories of the things you eat most of the time (often surprising) and you'll easily see some things you'd be better off not eating.

Make some easy swaps. Instead of drinks with sugar have a diet soda or unsweetened tea or water. If you can't bear to give up soda entirely, swap out one a day to start and build up to a level that lets you eventually stay within your calorie goal. Trade the fries for a side salad and low calorie dressing. Have a 400 calorie chicken salad with veggies instead of the 1000+ calorie Big Mac and fries. Most restaurants have good options, you just have to find them. MFP has a lot of chain restaurant information in it.

If you're eating at sit down restaurants, which usually have portions that are much too large, ask for a box when you order your meal. Put half of your meal in the box before you even start eating. You'll then have another meal you can eat at home.

Over time, you'll figure out how to stay within your goal and which meals easily fit into your day and which don't. Keep in mind that you will trip up from time to time. Don't beat yourself up when it happens, tomorrow is another day. Sometimes the calories in a meal you thought would be low calorie will surprise you. Try to get into the habit of researching your meal beforehand and finding something that fits into your goals.

As far as cooking goes.... start simple. Many meals don't need to be more than a couple of ingredients. Salads are easy and really versatile by just mixing up the protein, cheese, nuts and veggies you put on them. Just keep the protein to 3-4 ounces and be sparing with everything but the veggies. I'm not a big breakfast eater so I have things like a protein bar or Greek yogurt with berries for breakfast most days. You can easily throw a protein bar in your purse on the way out the door. I keep the box in my desk drawer at work because that is where I eat them.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan ahead. Most fast food restaurants have at least some nutritional information up on their websites. Using this, I've been able to find a decent meal between 300-600 calories at:

Steak N' Shake
    Lion's Choice
    Chipotle
    Chick-fil-A
    Sonics

I need to do more research, though. I'm going on a road trip with the bf's family and fast food is almost all they eat. Oo
  • wwh140
    wwh140 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I eat out also, but try to limit it to lunch and then eat a cooked meal at home in the evenings. The others are right, you can definitely eat out and lose weight, you just have to plan ahead and look up that nutritional info BEFORE going to the restaurant instead of after. I've found that items I would think were low cal really were not and things I thought would be high in calories are much better than I thought. I always look up where I'm going first and decide what I'm going to have. I'm also a fan of pre-logging my meals for the day. Additionally, I am working with a nutritionist to try to eat healthier while losing weight. Found out I was not eating enough calories - go figure! I increased my calorie count based on the nutritionist recommendations and began losing weight. I lost more in 1 month than I did in 7 weeks eating less. She also says to always pair a protein with a carb (I have a protein drink for breakfast since it's the easiest way for me to eat within 1.5-2 hrs of waking). She said to add a piece of fruit to that. I also have snacks during the day. It's a slow process, but it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. Patience is key (I must say I don't really have much in the way of patience as I want to lose 100 pounds in a month when it took me years to gain it). Feel free to friend me if you'd like. Good luck on your journey!
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,609 Member
    Options
    You can look up calorie counts for fast food places online. I still eat at McDonalds occasionally, but check on calorie counts for what I order and many times end up eating half a burger and fries then saving the rest for later. That way I can still have fast food and fit it into my 1200 cals/day. And, I log it in advance on MFP. That seems to help me commit to eating half. Then I get to enjoy it without guilt - knowing that I'm not overeating.

That's could be a simple beginning to meal planning for you. You can apply the same idea to planning meals at home. Look up what it is you want to eat before hand, if it is too high in cals either eat less of it or find a lower calorie sub. And log it in advance so you will know that it fits into your plan. And pay attention to what the serving size on food labels is. Weigh solids on a food scale and measure liquids. It really is the only way you can get a handle on how much your eating.

I don't know what your food preferences are so it's hard to make suggestions as to what you should eat. But one thing that helps simplify meal prep for me is that when I have the time (on the weekend), I like to make batches of food and then freeze or split into individual portions. that simplifies meals during the week. I'm sure you will get other great suggestions here. Good luck - you can do it.
  • kikomansauce
    kikomansauce Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Salad is a pretty good one that doesn't need any cooking at all really, except for MAYBE chopping up greens if you buy them whole. Just mix up greens onto a plate with salad dressing. There's also other frozen veggies that you could just microwave or just sautee with butter or oil. Canned green beans are my quick solutions. Eggs and bacon is what I make when I'm lazy. You can just boil the eggs too.

Mainly pay attention to the portion sizes. Know how much 1oz of cheese is. Know how much 100 grams of chicken is. It comes naturally after you research a little bit.
    Find some recipes online that are simple on the skillet or in a pot. Find recipes that look good to you, then buy the ingredients.

There are options for healthy eating out, such as salads and just eating really small portions. But the main problem is that the portions are very large. You HAVE to stop yourself. Even with salads, restaurants' portions can be very large. And the ingredients they put in it can still be high calories, especially the dressing. And like others have said already, you can adjust according to what nutritional info they have online, and start finding out what places have pretty healthy foods.
  • ablalock0712
    ablalock0712 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I share this with every newbie cook.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/foods-everyone-should-learn-to-cook

I figure with some successes under your belt, it won't be so intimidating. Wendy's salads are really good too.

I really like @dubird and @SueInAz 's ideas.

When you get an idea what a realistic portion looks like and get used to eating that way, it all gets a lot easier. I always carry a protein bar with me in case I am caught somewhere, starving, and tempted to wolf down french fries. The protein bar is better.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Skip the fries, go without the bun, hold the mayo, salads, grilled chicken rather than crispy, that's all I can think of right now, these are small changes to help.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    You're going to have to do some research and plan ahead for your day. It takes a while, but once you figure out what you can eat where, it becomes much easier!

1. Start by logging everything for a week and see where you are. That will give you a baseline for seeing where you're at and what you can start to adjust. Start slow, one or two things at a time, and give yourself time to get used to it. For me, I started with just switching the soda I had at lunch for unsweet tea with sweetener. That cut out about 200 calories without making any other changes!

2. Learn to cook. It's not hard, just takes some time. Check out a book called "Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen" for a good easy start in cooking. You'll find that cooking a meal from (mostly) scratch can net you more food for your calorie allotment then you think.

3. Research restaurants you like to eat at and see what the calorie counts are on things. Most restaurants have that information either online or by request. Once you know what your calorie count is for the day, divide that up between however many meals you want to eat for the day. That lets you know what your limit is for each meal, and with calorie information from the restaurant, you can make decisions on what you can have when. Watching calories and losing weight when you mostly eat out is possible, just takes time and research to plan ahead.

^^ Spot on!

I'd suggest also: Carry a snack with you so when you are out driving and get a little hungry eat your snack so you are less likely to hit the drive through.
  • Laurenjenai
    Options
    Skip the fries, go without the bun, hold the mayo, salads, grilled chicken rather than crispy, that's all I can think of right now, these are small changes to help.

sometime I did kids meals...

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Why?? I have done all that and still lost weight.

OP read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Laurenjenai
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Why?? I have done all that and still lost weight.

Just something to start with if OP wants to try.
  • RinnyBlush
    RinnyBlush Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Here are my easy-peasy meal formulas! They are super simple and really basic, but you can use these formulas for almost ANY ingredient. Play around with things until you find what you like. I am a pretty adventurous cook, but when I am just trying to get through another day, this is what I go to.

Breakfast:
    1) Toast two pieces of whole grain bread.
    2) Choose any of the following toppings for your toast: 1/2 of an avocado, 2 scrambled eggs, peanut butter and 1/2 of a banana, light cream cheese with tomato slices
    3) Serve with brewed coffee. (I drink mine with splenda and unsweetened almond milk)

Lunch (Salad):
    1) Fill a tupperware bin with 2 cups of greens. (Whatever you prefer. I like a mix of greens and spinach.)
    2) Choose 3 more veggies. (I like red pepper, cucumber, and white onion.)
    3) Choose a lean protein. (I like a hardboiled egg, quinoa, beans, or chicken breast.)
    4) Add a sprinkle of cheese. (I like light feta.)
    4) Make your own dressing out of an oil, a vinegar, and a touch of both honey and dijon mustard.
    5) Shake it all up and enjoy.

Dinner:
    1) Choose your vegetable, toss it with 1 tbsp of oil, and roast it in the oven. Fill half of your plate with this.
    2) Choose your protein, bake or grill it, and fill a quarter of your plate with this.
    3) Choose a whole grain, prepare it with as little dressing or oil as possible and fill the last quarter of your plate. (I like a piece of toast, brown rice with low sodium soy sauce, quinoa with hot sauce, or whole grain pasta with pesto or tomato sauce.)

And yes, I eat more than this during a day. But since you asked specifically about meals I didn't really touch on what I do for snacks.
  • Laurenjenai
    Options
    Oatmeal and fruit for breakfast is pretty simple to make
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I can't cook either.

You can buy pre-bagged salads then put them in a Tupperware with some craisins or something. No work!

There's also eggs. Boil 'em and eat them later. Scramble them. Like no prep time and they can be good on the go.

Seared meat. Get home and don't wanna cook? Heat up a skillet and sear a steak then open up one of those pre-bagged salad and have a side salad and a steak. Like five minutes and almost no work.

Canned fruit. Goes anywhere and ready anytime. Just remember to get the ones in their own juice and not in heavy syrup.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I would start w everything everyone else has stated but i would always carry an apple in my bag and 3 ozs of baby carrots. That way if you get super hungry you got a nice meal w those two items! I also love to cut up peppers and slice up some cucumbers and leave them in the fridge to snack on. Always have fresh fruit around. Strawberrys and berries in general are relatively low in calories. I think oranges and peaches are a good calorie bargain also. You should try to make yourself a nice fried egg sandwich in the morning w low calorie bread, it really lasts a long time.
  • mabernier
    mabernier Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I will occasionally treat myself to fast food, but rarely. If I go to Wendy's it's usually a half size asian cashew chicken salad and a jr chocolate frosty...that's about 440 for the two of them. At McDonald's I usually get a hamburger happy meal because I can have the taste of the hamburger and a little mini french fry and some apple slices for around 415. This week, I couldn't fathom making lunches so I ran to the grocery store at lunch and bought strawberries, blueberries, buffalo chicken deli meat and some romaine lettuce. I made little roll ups and then had the fruit. For breakfast, I have been making breakfast smoothies that are very easy, no cooking, not much planning (other than having the ingredients in the house) and tasty. Because I add ground chia seeds, I stay full for hours. I couldn't believe it either. And they are about 300 calories per smoothie, depending on what I put in...the highest one so far is 350 calories which for a meal replacement is good. I wish you well. Do some research and walk around the grocery store and look for ideas. There might be things you see that you never thought of. I pick up packages and look at labels and put it back when its too high.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food too, but in moderation

But i also make my own fries and potato wedgies in the oven ( so no oil use at all) nice and crispy.
    Make my own burgers and chicken fry's etc. I make a very nice pizza ( and not with cauliflower crust) But real pizza with fresh made tomato paste, fresh Italian herbs and spices, 4 kind of cheese and chicken for me ( hubby get sausage meat) Olives peppers etc. Yummie and only around 600 calories for the whole pizza ( which i eat in parts)

Make my own crisps too, all kind of spices.
    So besides a pretty balanced diet and making my own options i eat also out at restaurants and fast food chains. But moderation is the key.
    Keep counting and planning and knowing how much i get helped me losing weight.