I Think My Regimen Could Use Some Evaluation/Assistance

Options
So, I've been thinking a lot about this lately, trying to figure out what I should change.. and I feel like there really isn't any better place to reach out for help than MFP, with so many knowledgeable people out there!
Those who have either succeeded personally, or make a living helping others succeed, you guys are all awesome.

I have a situation for you, and I would really, really love for anyone with massive amounts of fitness/nutrition knowledge to give me their thoughts.

About me!

25 years old
5'7", current weight: 170. (Measurements: 40"-30"-40")
Lost 50 pounds in about 18 months (220 to 170; size 18, to size 10)
Goal weight: Around 130-140
(I've never been *not* overweight, so I don't have a specific weight to get "back" to.)

Essentially, I want to lean down, big time.
Flat tummy, and muscular toned legs/butt/back/arms.

Current Exercise Routine:

4-5 days a week, a mix of cardio and strength training.

For cardio I jog for 30-40 minutes, and since I'm new to jogging it's interval-style, but always keeping my heart rate in my "target zone" of 130-169, per my HRM.
Occasionally I go to an hour long zumba class, or do a workout video (that's really a mix of strength and cardio, but it kicks my butt each time. I switch between Insanity, and various Jillian Michaels videos.)

And strength training - free weights for arms & back, and leg presses/squat bar/etc. for legs.
I don't use the weight 'machines' too much at all, I was told by a personal trainer to avoid those at all costs, and focus on free weights & body weight exercises.

I feel like I do pretty well with my calories, I stay within 1200-1300 calories a day. (As per MFP's fat loss option.) I don't drink soda or eat fast food, I meal plan and eat as clean as possible.

I typically exceed the protein MFP caps me at, but I just now tweaked things to be 50% protein, and 25% fat & carbs. Trying to see if that helps things along.

Does it look like I'm on the right track?
Are there any areas you think could use improvement, or just a change?
Do you have any workout ideas you think I should try?

I figured it couldn't hurt to reach out for help, or just an extra set of eyes to make sure I'm not grossly mistaken about anything.

Thanks in advance guys!

~ MacKenzie

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss :) I think you're doing great. The only things I would say are:

Do you eat back any of your exercise calories? If not, I would encourage you to eat them. If you are concerned with them being overstated, start by eating 50% and then reevaluate after 4 weeks. It's important to fuel your body properly for exercise in order to get the best results.

If you are not following a progressive training program, I would suggest finding one to follow rather than making up your own. A program will tell you what exercises to do with how much weight and how many reps and then when to increase the weight/reps so that you keep getting stronger.

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I know you said you've been doing strength training already, but why not look into picking up a heavy weight program such as Stronglifts? Also, eating clean isn't necessary and soda won't hurt you or your progress, but if it makes you feel better, more power to ya.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    You sound super motivated. I also wanted to ask if you're eating exercise calories-and how quickly you're currently losing. You are pretty damn active and those are some low calories!! I am the same height and would be a nasty human being with no ability to lift if I ate that little!!

I would get on a set lifting program, as it will do the most for your physique as you continue to slim down (by preserving lean muscle mass). Also, if you're happy with your diet-that's great! But don't feel you HAVE to eat clean or eat 50% protein. Start finding something sustainable now. For me, neither of those would work.

Last, 130-140 is a great goal for our height. I was TINY at 130, and you're already lifting and active, so you might be pleasantly surprised at how good you look before you even get close to that number. Best of luck :smile:
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I know you said you've been doing strength training already, but why not look into picking up a heavy weight program such as Stronglifts? Also, eating clean isn't necessary and soda won't hurt you or your progress, but if it makes you feel better, more power to ya.

I agree with all of this! The only thing I would add is a food scale for more a accurate food intake.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss :) I think you're doing great. The only things I would say are:

Do you eat back any of your exercise calories? If not, I would encourage you to eat them. If you are concerned with them being overstated, start by eating 50% and then reevaluate after 4 weeks. It's important to fuel your body properly for exercise in order to get the best results.

If you are not following a progressive training program, I would suggest finding one to follow rather than making up your own. A program will tell you what exercises to do with how much weight and how many reps and then when to increase the weight/reps so that you keep getting stronger.

I eat back some of them, but I usually end up under my limit at the end of the day (workout calorie allowance included). I'll try eating back more of them to see if that helps progress, thank you!

And for strength training, I have a workout app on my phone that I use as a guide for my workouts. I usually stick to the routine it gives me, and throw in something extra sometimes that I just enjoy doing.

I've never heard of Stronglifts, but I'll look it up!
    And when I was at my biggest weight, cutting out soda and fast food resulted in dropping 15-20 pounds almost instantly. I didn't change much else of my diet or exercise, just those two things (which I didn't consume in excess to begin with), so I vowed never to go back! And I do feel better, fast food makes me feel gross inside, and all the sugar in soda upsets my stomach. :(

slaite1 wrote: »
    You sound super motivated. I also wanted to ask if you're eating exercise calories-and how quickly you're currently losing. You are pretty damn active and those are some low calories!! I am the same height and would be a nasty human being with no ability to lift if I ate that little!!

I would get on a set lifting program, as it will do the most for your physique as you continue to slim down (by preserving lean muscle mass). Also, if you're happy with your diet-that's great! But don't feel you HAVE to eat clean or eat 50% protein. Start finding something sustainable now. For me, neither of those would work.

Last, 130-140 is a great goal for our height. I was TINY at 130, and you're already lifting and active, so you might be pleasantly surprised at how good you look before you even get close to that number. Best of luck :smile:

I eat about a quarter to half my exercise calories back; up until now.. I didn't know I was supposed to. (See, this is why I ask for help. :( )

I haven't been losing as quickly as I have in the past lately, but I'm noticing small changes to my overall physique. Stomach is getting flatter, legs are leaning out.. The scale hasn't moved in a couple months, and my pants size hasn't moved, but I'm seeing slow progress in the mirror & on the tape measure.

I try to eat 5 times a day, that does a really good job at keeping me from being a nasty human!

Typical Week Day:
    Breakfast: 0%, nonfat Greek yogurt, 1/2 tsp honey, blueberries, Bear Naked Fit granola
    Mid-Morning Snack: Piece of fruit, usually an apple, banana, or pear.
    Lunch: Quinoa with grilled chicken, bell peppers, corn & black beans
    Afternoon snack: Baby carrots, sometimes hummus; or almonds, cherry tomatoes, this snack really varies.
    Dinner: Protein shake (I get back from the gym around dinner time) with almond milk, and usually a small salad, or carrots & natural peanut butter. I'm bad about dinners, but I'm not hungry after I work out! I feel like I'm ingesting calories that I just worked off, that are just going to sit in my stomach all night. :(

130-140 is just a ball park, I might be really happy with how I look at 140-150, I have no idea.
    I honestly can't even remember the last time I weighed 150 pounds, but I'm pretty sure it was around 9th grade. This is a huge "play it by ear" thing! I want to be lean and strong, and rock all the crop tops and short skirts. And burn every pair of Spanx I've ever owned. ;)
  • cwoltman87
    cwoltman87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your diet seems to be high in fat and carbs. Carrots, quinoa, fruit, salad? Do you use dressing? Are you measuring your dressings if so?

Try to eat egg whites. They are cheap, and loaded with clean protein.
    I've lost 80 lbs since September 13

363 down to 285
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    cwoltman87 wrote: »
    Your diet seems to be high in fat and carbs. Carrots, quinoa, fruit, salad? Do you use dressing? Are you measuring your dressings if so?

363 down to 285

Lol... What!?
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

363 down to 285

Lol... What!?

Yeaahh, what she said..

I'll give you that fruit is higher in sugar, but that's why I eat it in the mornings, so it can burn off and not go into fat storage.

Quinoa isn't high in fat at all, and considering there's 0.2 grams of fat per 100g of carrots, I have no idea what you're talking about. >_>
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

363 down to 285

Lol... What!?

Yeaahh, what she said..

I'll give you that fruit is higher in sugar, but that's why I eat it in the mornings, so it can burn off and not go into fat storage.

Quinoa isn't high in fat at all, and considering there's 0.2 grams of fat per 100g of carrots, I have no idea what you're talking about. >_>

Sugar doesn't go into fat storage. Extra calories do.