what HRM to get?

Options
I have NO clue about HRMs and a good one to get. I want it so it will tell me how many calories I burn and something thats inexpensive like up to $150.

i see some people have fitbugg what is that

Replies

• Plumpqt
    Plumpqt Posts: 156
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 I love it it reads my heart rate and tells me how many calories I burn. I got it online for 114 dollars to my door i love it wouldnt use anything else
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i wasted $30 on a cheap one from Kmart. I would NOT recommend that one!! thanks for posting, I'd like to know too.
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use a polar ft4 and love it. I got mine at REI with a coupon for under $80

Also if you get a HRM make sure it has a chest strap!
  • aladd2
    aladd2 Posts: 70
    Options
    I have a Timex T5H881 and it works great. It overcalculates calories burned sometimes but the heart rate seems to be right on track. I bought it on Amazon for about 60 dollars :)
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have heard several people mention they love their Polar Ft4. I also need to get one but have been waiting, not sure which one to get. I think I might go for the Polar Ft4 though.
    I know the body bugg needs to be worn all day and I don't want that.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    For $70 you can get the NB N4 at Target. It's by New Balance. It's great and you can enter personal data for a pretty accurate reading. All batteries are replaceable, too. Has chest strap and calorie burned settings as well as saves data. Only thing is it is not synced with just your heart rate monitor (watch). So if you tend to exercise within 3 feet of people who also wear a HRM you might get some interference. If you go to the gym and they have equipment that automatically pics up HRM signals, then you only need to wear your chest strap. The machines will pick up you readings. However, the calorie burned will vary from the machine because it doesn't take into account your gender or height. The NB N4, does.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    POLAR!
    I LOVEE LOVEE LOVEEEE my FT4.
    I would HIGHLY recommend it.
    I would look for one that calculates calories burned. Not all do that.
    I got mine at sports authority for $80 (there's a coupon in Sundays paper for $ off a purchase, so it would be cheaper).
    Also, get one that uses a chest strap, they are more accurate. And allows you to input height, weight, age etc.
  • mescla
    mescla Posts: 56
    Options
    I acutally like the body bugg. I had the sportline duo 1010 and polar ft4 and now the body bugg all in one month. I know this has to be worn all day but its a better tracker than all the rest. I can actually see how active i am during the day, what i ate, and how much i burned not just during my work outs... I think i will have better success with this one... second day so far.
  • mescla
    mescla Posts: 56
    Options
    I acutally like the body bugg. I had the sportline duo 1010 and polar ft4 and now the body bugg all in one month. I know this has to be worn all day but its a better tracker than all the rest. I can actually see how active i am during the day, what i ate, and how much i burned not just during my work outs... I think i will have better success with this one... second day so far.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    ive read reviews for the polar ft4 and people were saying that you have to wet it before something about the sensor ior it wont get the heart rate...what happens if after an hour of working out its not wet....does it stop working??? also with the beeps are you able to hear them with your headphones in ?
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT7 HRM from Best Buy with a 2 year warranty that covers everything for about $110...WELL WORTH IT!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Anything Polar! It is honestly the most recommended brand.. and now that I have my FT7 I wouldn't use anything else. It was so easy to set up and only 79 dollars from drugstore.com.

Also steer clear of Timex... they way over estimate on calories.
  • vaston
    vaston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. It has the band around your chest and is very accurate with the calories burned for your workout. I went right past the FT4 because I heard so many good things about the FT7. I wouldn't go back!!

*Edit
    Plus, the chest strap is cloth, not rubber or plastic. It stays exactly where it belongs, never moves. The cloth is comfortable too.
  • joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    ive read reviews for the polar ft4 and people were saying that you have to wet it before something about the sensor ior it wont get the heart rate...what happens if after an hour of working out its not wet....does it stop working??? also with the beeps are you able to hear them with your headphones in ?

Yep you have to wet it, then it stays wet because you start sweating. The beeps are quiet and you would not hear them with headphones in, but one of the views on the watch is your target zone - so you can just look at your wrist to see if you are in the zone.
  • Sandie001
    Sandie001 Posts: 29
    Options
    i have the polar FT7 and think it is fantastic - i got it for £75 (suppose its about 140 dollars there abouts) well worth the money. I think it is more accurate for calorie burn, let me know how you get on after which one you buy :-)
  • DropsOJupiter
    DropsOJupiter Posts: 131
    Options
    Yet another vote for the Polar F7 for all the reasons given. I've used mine for a year or so and have had absolutely no trouble with it. Also, the wristband is very strong as I've 5 parrots that occasionally take a nip. The chest band is very comfortable. Absolutely well worth the money to make sure you are getting accurate calorie output count!
  • vaston
    vaston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex one that I got on amazon for $44, it's great!
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Yep you have to wet it, then it stays wet because you start sweating. The beeps are quiet and you would not hear them with headphones in, but one of the views on the watch is your target zone - so you can just look at your wrist to see if you are in the zone.

Yep I use for on average for 2 hours at a time and it stays wet. You can also turn the sound off if you like.
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Heartrate Monitors USA has all Polar's on sale....this weekend only.
    Go here:

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-view-all.html

For extra 5% off ...use coupon code.....sum2010.
    Good luck!
    :bigsmile: