A Yoga Body is...

Options
Any body that practices yoga:

https://instagram.com/mynameisjessamyn/

I came across this woman's Instagram and I was inspired by her Yoga moves. I love yoga, so for anyone out there that does as well, you will see some really great form and control from this lady!

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Yes! Love her! I've followed her blog for a while. It's really nice to see poses being done by someone curvy.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Wow truly amazing
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I run across her picture often. She is really beautiful to look it, and so strong and graceful. Obviously a lot more fit and dedicated than I have been over the years.

I don't know if she connects herself to the HAES movement or if she has a disease like Dercums or anything about her other than what I see in a picture, but I wonder how her yoga practice affects obesity related concerns. I worry about my pro HAES friends, particularly when they're already disabled, because you can't spot reduce fat. And you gain fat everywhere on your body, including your brain. I have a friend who had her first stroke at 16. I understand being disabled due to illness at a young age, and I just wish I could show her that eating a little less isn't a punishment for gaining weight, nor a betrayal of her solidarity with other voluptuous women.

These musings aren't intended to start a great debate. I think everyone is beautiful, and we all deserve to hear it.
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    I run across her picture often. She is really beautiful to look it, and so strong and graceful. Obviously a lot more fit and dedicated than I have been over the years.

I don't know if she connects herself to the HAES movement or if she has a disease like Dercums or anything about her other than what I see in a picture, but I wonder how her yoga practice affects obesity related concerns. I worry about my pro HAES friends, particularly when they're already disabled, because you can't spot reduce fat. And you gain fat everywhere on your body, including your brain. I have a friend who had her first stroke at 16. I understand being disabled due to illness at a young age, and I just wish I could show her that eating a little less isn't a punishment for gaining weight, nor a betrayal of her solidarity with other voluptuous women.

These musings aren't intended to start a great debate. I think everyone is beautiful, and we all deserve to hear it.

I don't understand what you're talking about - Jessamyn Stanley doesn't have an illness or disease. I have no clue what HAES is either...

I don't think "everyone is beautiful" and I see Jessamyn as an example of someone who has dedicated themselves the something extremely physically daunting and has excelled. It has nothing to do with beauty.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Whoa that's some hard moves, takes some skill. I just saw a post on Pinterest about everyone of all body types are capable of doing yoga.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »

I don't understand what you're talking about - Jessamyn Stanley doesn't have an illness or disease. I have no clue what HAES is either...

I don't think "everyone is beautiful" and I see Jessamyn as an example of someone who has dedicated themselves the something extremely physically daunting and has excelled. It has nothing to do with beauty.

That has everything to do with beauty! Beauty is more than something you look at. A person can practice yoga every day and that dedication creates confidence, regardless of whether the practitioner is doing impressive backbends or an impressive mountain pose. Isn't confidence beauty? Isn't being dedicated to your practice an example of living beautifully?

HAES is what they're calling the belief that you can be Healthy At Every Size. Dercums is one of the actual diseases affecting adipose tissue. I have a lot of disabled friends, including one with Dercums, so I think about some weird stuff. For example, I wonder if yoga offers benefits to the obese beyond the mind/body/spirit connection and greater mindfulness that benefit everyone. It's been on my mind more lately because my friend in my previous post on this thread got a little miffed when I replied to a meme that she posted that said a lot of disparaging things about Marilyn Monroe's body with the intent of saying that she was beautiful because she was confident with her imperfect body. I said that she practiced self care (like watching what she ate and exercising), I couldn't see the flaws the meme was pointing out, and that loving yourself and taking care of yourself is beautiful. Oops.

Well, that's my explanation. Sorry I don't verbalize things very well. I was probably trying to keep myself from rambling. Anyway, curiosity killed the cat, and I don't have many more lives left!