Cutting macros ??

Options
hi everyone! I started macros not too long ago. Saw good results first month.. 60/20/20 on 1400 calories. I went on a few trips and really think it screwed me up. I've been back on track for a few days but still feel off. Any suggestions on my macros? Maybe lower my protein and higher my carbs I really am such a beginner at this and I just want my lean look back.. I'm currently on 180g of protein 80-90 carbs and 35 fats

Thanks

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi @alexgolan610 - I follow a LCHF healthy eating plan. My macros are currently 10% carb; 70% fat and 20% protein. This works for me. I usually have around 1000-1200 cals per day on this. I also do a lot of running, which decreases my calories too - 3k run x 3times per week. Maybe reducing your carbs and increasing your fat will help you. Remeber, Carbs turn into sugar so are not good for you!!

the bolded is so not true....*smh*

macros are personal.

0.8 grams of proteins for each pound of body weight
    0.4 grams of fats

rest carbs.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    As long as you meet your minimum intake levels it's all personal preference, not arbitrary numbers or someone else's ratios.

I'd use whatever aids long term complience and appropriately fuels exercise.

For me I could think of nothing worse than carbohydrates making up a low percentage of my dietary intake, however some people find this sustainable and successful.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'd personally drop protein a bit, increase fat then carbs if you have any cals left....
  • KaneNLN
    KaneNLN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi @alexgolan610 - I follow a LCHF healthy eating plan. My macros are currently 10% carb; 70% fat and 20% protein. This works for me. I usually have around 1000-1200 cals per day on this. I also do a lot of running, which decreases my calories too - 3k run x 3times per week. Maybe reducing your carbs and increasing your fat will help you. Remeber, Carbs turn into sugar so are not good for you!!

why are you giving horrendous advice to people when you have no clue?

sugar is a carb, carbs are amazing.

stop while you're ahead thanks
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Smh.

So you're saying carbs are bad because they turn into sugar right. But you're eating 10% of your calories from carbs, so your diet is not good for you - right?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    As long as you meet your minimum intake levels it's all personal preference, not arbitrary numbers or someone else's ratios.

I'd use whatever aids long term complience and appropriately fuels exercise.

Yes, this. The numbers Stef gave above are good ways to figure minimum protein and fat (assuming you aren't extremely overweight), and beyond that experiment with how many carbs you like and whether you prefer instead eating a bit more protein and/or fat. No benefit to low carb unless you happen to prefer eating that way. (I do approximately 40% carbs, 30% protein and fat, but that's just what works for me given my current intake, activity level, and protein needs and preferences. I'm flexible beyond getting in my minimum protein and fat and a generally healthy diet.)

The protein you are eating is way more than you need, though, and there's no benefit to being way above--carbs and fat are your energy sources.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Your protein is excessive. Even as a 170 lb guy, I don't eat those kind of numbers. Most women I know are like 80-120g of protein max. And depending on how much you are working, calories might be a bit low. Also, I would generally suggest increase fats. Not only will they improve satiety, but they help regulate hormones as well as improve vitamin absorption.

What are your stats (height, weight), and what is your workout routine? Also, what are your goals?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Well for one... based off your current profile pic you already look pretty lean. So, if it is current, I'd suggest eating at at least maintenance for the extra calories and energy to put to good use in the gym and accomplish more of a recomp.

Regarding macros though, drop your protein and add those calories into fat and carbs.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Unless you are trying to do some kind of serious bulk, and you are heavy weight lifting, that kind of protein isn't necessary. As advised above, try less protein, more fat for satiety (feeling full), and more carbs. Carbs are not the bad guy when it comes to food. Typically I go for a 40/30/30 when it comes to carbs/fat/protein macro balance. But you need to find what will work for you when it comes to your activity level and goals.
  • alexgolan610
    alexgolan610 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Your protein is excessive. Even as a 170 lb guy, I don't eat those kind of numbers. Most women I know are like 80-120g of protein max. And depending on how much you are working, calories might be a bit low. Also, I would generally suggest increase fats. Not only will they improve satiety, but they help regulate hormones as well as improve vitamin absorption.

What are your stats (height, weight), and what is your workout routine? Also, what are your goals?

i am currently 9.9 BF 130 lbs and 5'9"
    I workout 6-7 times a week and im just trying to maintain and stay lean. I been realizing that i bloat very easily the second I over eat and take vacation my body does not respond well at all.
  • Tafrio3rd
    Tafrio3rd Posts: 6 Member
    Options

This has to be the worst diet I ever heard of 70% fat???? 20% protein??? Absolutely horrible idea, I don't get y any1 would say this out loud or think of this
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options
    LCHF is commonly used to help medical conditions like refractory epilepsy, PCOS and more. And it's also used by people who simply prefer low carbing - funnily enough.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Rocky_1975 wrote: »

Protein also turns to sugar... . I know I just blew your mind.

You'd have to eat a lot of protein though, right? lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options

I workout 6-7 times a week and im just trying to maintain and stay lean. I been realizing that i bloat very easily the second I over eat and take vacation my body does not respond well at all.
    I would question the 9.9% bf because females get into essential fats at 14%. But it really doesnt matter.

For a young, fairly active person, i would also question why you eat so little. Based on your stats you should be around maintenance. If you want to improve definition you might want to look into doing a recomp... essentially, eating at maintenance and hoping for gain a bit of muscle while losing fat.

When do you "bloat"? Is it when you eat carbs? Because if so, you do realize that carbs add water weight in the form of glycogen?

And what do you do for exercise?
  • alexgolan610
    alexgolan610 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I would question the 9.9% bf because females get into essential fats at 14%. But it really doesnt matter.

For a young, fairly active person, i would also question why you eat so little. Based on your stats you should be around maintenance. If you want to improve definition you might want to look into doing a recomp... essentially, eating at maintenance and hoping for gain a bit of muscle while losing fat.

When do you "bloat"? Is it when you eat carbs? Because if so, you do realize that carbs add water weight in the form of glycogen?

I really don't know why I bloat so badly even after a clean meal on vacation.. I notice if I go above 100g of carbs I bloat.. That pregnant rock hard bloat lol... I just wanna stay lean and gain muscle which is what I have been doing as my dunk test showed July 1. I strength train and interval train... My trainer who is a paleo freak adviced me with my current macros and I trust him especially since I'm new to this flexible dieting but getting advice from others is good too. Thank you everyone..
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

I really don't know why I bloat so badly even after a clean meal on vacation.. I notice if I go above 100g of carbs I bloat.. That pregnant rock hard bloat lol... I just wanna stay lean and gain muscle which is what I have been doing as my dunk test showed July 1. I strength train and interval train... My trainer who is a paleo freak adviced me with my current macros and I trust him especially since I'm new to this flexible dieting but getting advice from others is good too. Thank you everyone..

What is a clean meal?

When someone restricts carbs for a period of time, they lose water weight and glycogen. Reintroducing carbs makes you retain more water and your glycogen storage increases. Simple as that.
  • gracegza
    gracegza Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Would you be able to help me I'm trying to bring my BF percent down. I'm 5'2 weight 143lbs at 32%BF. I do HIIT classes 4 days a week burning up to 450 calories in 45 mins in the class we do weight training too but I also do 2 days of just weight training I've been stuck there coming down from 175lbs in 2years. I just started the flex dieting yesterday cause I had been low carb then I would binge when my monthly came!! Lol
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    My macros right now are 204 protein, 65 fat, 234 carbs. Losing about 1.5 lb's a week.
  • FloralBlossom
    FloralBlossom Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Do you eat a lot of gluten? I'm sesitive to gluten and when i eat it it turns my stomach into a dome right quick but it also feels like it tears my insides apart.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options

I really don't know why I bloat so badly even after a clean meal on vacation..

have you considered sodium intake? If eat out while on vacation, you are probably getting a lot more salt than normal.