Exercising 30-60 min a day and eating 1200-1400 calories a day is this helping or hurting me?

Options
Ive looked it up online but keep getting mixed answers. I am wondering if it is going to hurt my weight loss? I dont see a point in eating back my exercise calories? Any feedback would be great!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Not enough information is provided to answer that question. Please provide your stats.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ^And what kind of exercise you're doing/how you're recording the burns.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Stats?

Are you eating your exercise calories back? If not, that generally means you're eating 800-1000 calories net.

The whole point of eating back your exercise calories is to meet your net calories. Your body needs the extra energy on the days where it has used it.

If you don't see a point in that - I don't know what to say.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Maybe? Here's a good read on it:http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/

But, it essentially boils down to is your deficit appropriate for your goals and stats. It will also depend on your accuracy and if you are actually burning as much as you think you are and eating as little as you think you are. (It's really easy to underestimate food and overestimate calorie burns.)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Ive looked it up online but keep getting mixed answers. I am wondering if it is going to hurt my weight loss? I dont see a point in eating back my exercise calories? Any feedback would be great!

Probably hurting you. But without further info everyone is just guessing.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    So you don't see a point in properly fueling your activities? OK.
  • never2late2loseweight
    never2late2loseweight Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Not enough information is provided to answer that question. Please provide your stats.

what stats are you looking for?
  • never2late2loseweight
    Options
    Stats?

Are you eating your exercise calories back? If not, that generally means you're eating 800-1000 calories net.

The whole point of eating back your exercise calories is to meet your net calories. Your body needs the extra energy on the days where it has used it.

If you don't see a point in that - I don't know what to say.
    Ok so net calories should be 1200?

• Liftng4Lis
    Options

Height, weight, age, gender.
  • never2late2loseweight
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

Probably hurting you. But without further info everyone is just guessing.

my net calories usually are between 800 sometimes lower sometimes higher, I want to lose weight. I am doing mostly walking with some jogging for cardio and then for strength, I am mostly using body weight and doing things like squats etc
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So what is the point in exercise then? If I eat my 1200 calories why bother exercising? I don't exercise to eat more I exercise to lose weight. Right?
  • never2late2loseweight
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Maybe? Here's a good read on it:http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/

But, it essentially boils down to is your deficit appropriate for your goals and stats. It will also depend on your accuracy and if you are actually burning as much as you think you are and eating as little as you think you are. (It's really easy to underestimate food and overestimate calorie burns.)

I am using my fitness pal exercise to tell me how much I have burned. I am weighing my foods in order to best
    estimate my food.
  • Liftng4Lis
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So what is the point in exercise then? If I eat my 1200 calories why bother exercising? I don't exercise to eat more I exercise to lose weight. Right?
    Heck no, we exercise to eat more woman! The winner gets to eat the most and still lose.....oh, plus health and strength.
    REMEMBER, the 1200, already has a deficit built in.
  • never2late2loseweight
    Options

I am 5'4" /198pounds/ 34years old/ Female

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Focus of exercise should be fitness and health (cardiovascular, bone density, muscular...)

• Liftng4Lis
    Options

I am 5'4" /198pounds/ 34years old/ Female

Eat back a portion of them. Read this:
    Heck no, we exercise to eat more woman! The winner gets to eat the most and still lose.....oh, plus health and strength.

• never2late2loseweight
    Options

Ok, so then I need to make sure my net calories is 1200 then?
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Perhaps I've been doing this all wrong....you mean I can eat more and still lose weight? Maybe I need to read more....to educate myself. I am still new to this whole eating healthy and losing weight thing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

Ok, so then I need to make sure my net calories is 1200 then?

Yes, that is the base, then you earn more. You will lose regardless, but with eating a portion of those exercise calories you will be doing it in a sustainable way.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

Perhaps I've been doing this all wrong....you mean I can eat more? lol
    laughs! Absolutely!