In need of quick healthy fulfilling recipes for firefighters

Options
msffmay
msffmay Posts: 13 Member
I work with some hungry firefighters and unfortunately we are pressed for time being at a busy station when cooking so meals aren't the healthiest but convenient. Most of us are trying to eat better but are in need of some recipes that won't take too long to make. There are 10-12 of us who eat together. If you have any ideas please help. Thank you!

Replies

• 9thwardchick
    9thwardchick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Cook a pot of green or purple cabbage with some turkey sausage. Very tasty, healthy and filling. If you want more, add some baked yams for a really southern meal.
  • agirlcalledrinn
    agirlcalledrinn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I could do this all day.

Turkey Kielbasa+ sweet potato+pineapple. Sweet potatoes and potatoes can be nuked for 3-4 min each side, then chopped up and tossed in the skillet to finish with the meat. Pineapple chunks are an awesome complement. I throw cinnamon and cayenne in too. If you want it more savory, add some shallots, scallions, or straight up onion.

Shrimp anything. Shrimp only take about 3-5 min to cook, or 5ish to thaw. They're an awesome source of protein and for something more stick-to the ribs they make amazing seafood omelets. Just add your favorite veggies and cheese and wham.

Slip in ground turkey for everything you make with hamburger, or a mix, to reduce calories which still getting that satisfying meatiness. I like to mix mine with my mother's spaghetti sauce and eat it with garlic bread rather than with garlic bread and noodles.

Swap the hotdogs and italian sausage out for the turkey italian or chicken feta sausages. I like to brown up my chicken feta sausages and then toss in a few eggs, spinach, minced garlic and chili flakes for a fast, heavy meal.
  • msffmay
    Options
    Oh man, I could do this all day.

Turkey Kielbasa+ sweet potato+pineapple. Sweet potatoes and potatoes can be nuked for 3-4 min each side, then chopped up and tossed in the skillet to finish with the meat. Pineapple chunks are an awesome complement. I throw cinnamon and cayenne in too. If you want it more savory, add some shallots, scallions, or straight up onion.

Shrimp anything. Shrimp only take about 3-5 min to cook, or 5ish to thaw. They're an awesome source of protein and for something more stick-to the ribs they make amazing seafood omelets. Just add your favorite veggies and cheese and wham.

Slip in ground turkey for everything you make with hamburger, or a mix, to reduce calories which still getting that satisfying meatiness. I like to mix mine with my mother's spaghetti sauce and eat it with garlic bread rather than with garlic bread and noodles.

Swap the hotdogs and italian sausage out for the turkey italian or chicken feta sausages. I like to brown up my chicken feta sausages and then toss in a few eggs, spinach, minced garlic and chili flakes for a fast, heavy meal.

Thanks! We are on a budget so not sure about shrimp but maybe when it's on sale. Thank you! We get tired of eating the same thing lol
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I like a serving of pasta and half a bag of frozen broccoli. I panfry a chicken breast and eat half one day half the next. Mix it all together with a tablespoon of olive oil and shred some cheese on top and add some hot pepper flakes.

I'm not sure how this would work out price wise for you but I can get a box of pasta for a buck and a bag of broccoli for a buck also. Chicken and cheese prices vary with sales.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You will have to increase the quantities but this is so fast! We make spicy edamame sometimes too.

Inside+Out+Egg+Roll+2.jpg

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/inside-out-egg-roll-re-post.html
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am really into grilling and making foil packets for the grill. If you don't have a grill I am sure you could do it in the oven. In foil packets on a cookie sheet or a hotel pan covered in foil. Here are two I made recently.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/07/hawaiian-bbq-chicken.html

Hawaiian%2BBBQ%2BChicken7.jpg

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/07/southwest-catfish-foil-packet.html

Southwest%2BCatfish%2BFoil%2BPacket3.jpg
  • kidcuba176
    kidcuba176 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This has been feeding my large family and friends for years. Trust me.

Nice big kettle
    4 pounds of ground beef or turkey.
    1 full white onion chopped into squares.
    2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon of garlic salt OR garlic and parsley salt
    5 cups tomato sauce
    16 ounces of salsa, medium spicy level.
    8 tablespoons of chili mix
    (It comes in little paper packets in the taco aisle, old El Paso is a great brand)
    2 cans of light red kidney beans and 2 cans of dark red kidney beans. Both cans are 15oz.

Sauté onions on medium heat with extra virgin oil or butter until the onions are semi translucent and then toss in the meat and keep stirring the meat until it's cooked. Then drain any of the fat and liquid that comes out of the meat when it's done cooking. Add the rest of the ingredients in and then raise the best to a light simmer.. Not a boil!
    And simmer it for an hour.
    Do not stir the chili more than three times lightly, over the course of the hour.

And then that's it. Enjoy. If too much liquid evaporated, add some water and tomato sauce to your liking and continue heating.

Chili is the ultimate comfort food. Quick cheap and easy. I've personally purchased the ingredients for this whole recipe for less than 28 dollars.
  • aecahill30
    aecahill30 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Chicken and White Bean Stuffed Peppers

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/08/chicken-and-white-bean-stuffed-peppers.html

Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Burgers

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/05/grilled-hawaiian-teriyaki-burger.html

Roast Beef, Arugula and Parmesan Sandwiches

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/roast-beef-arugula-and-shaved-parmesan.html

All of these have been taste tested and used as meals by my police officer husband on long shifts!
  • aecahill30
    aecahill30 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Another FANTASTIC recipe that needs zero babysitting for pulled hawaiian pork and requires 3 ingredients total.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/06/crock-pot-kalua-pork.html
  • msffmay
    Options
    You guys are awesome!
  • msffmay
    Options
    kidcuba176 wrote: »

Nice big kettle
    5 cups tomato sauce
    (It comes in little paper packets in the taco aisle, old El Paso is a great brand)
    2 cans of light red kidney beans and 2 cans of dark red kidney beans. Both cans are 15oz.

Sauté onions on medium heat with extra virgin oil or butter until the onions are semi translucent and then toss in the meat and keep stirring the meat until it's cooked. Then drain any of the fat and liquid that comes out of the meat when it's done cooking. Add the rest of the ingredients in and then raise the best to a light simmer.. Not a boil!
    Do not stir the chili more than three times lightly, over the course of the hour.

And then that's it. Enjoy. If too much liquid evaporated, add some water and tomato sauce to your liking and continue heating.

Chili is the ultimate comfort food. Quick cheap and easy. I've personally purchased the ingredients for this whole recipe for less than 28 dollars.

How many people does your recipe feed?
  • msffmay
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    I like a serving of pasta and half a bag of frozen broccoli. I panfry a chicken breast and eat half one day half the next. Mix it all together with a tablespoon of olive oil and shred some cheese on top and add some hot pepper flakes.

I'm not sure how this would work out price wise for you but I can get a box of pasta for a buck and a bag of broccoli for a buck also. Chicken and cheese prices vary with sales.

Thanks I will look into it. We did one quick meal one time of pasta, pesto, spinach, bacon, chicken and mushrooms
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    kidcuba176 wrote: »

Nice big kettle
    5 cups tomato sauce

Ahh will have to try this! Love chili and also need to feed a big famili. Thanks :)
  • karyabc
    Options
    Family**
  • karyabc
    Options
    Just to add for me it doesn't get better than rice, beans, chicken, frozen veggies.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Consider a hearty meal salad. Start with a cooked whole grain like wheatberries or barley or quinoa or black rice. Add cooked beans, a strong cheese like blue or feta, and lots of vegetables and fruits in season. Consider olives, dried fruit, nuts, whatever makes you happy. Finish off with salt and pepper and a simple olive oil lemon juice or oil and vinegar dressing. Count the cups it makes, create a recipe on mfp, and scoop it up by the cupful into a to-go container.