Why do you run?

Options

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I started to run as cross training for cycling, and to have an exercise to do while traveling that didn't require bringing or renting a bike.

I continue to run because I really enjoy it. I still cycle a lot too, but it's a different kind of forward motion through the world.

At their best, running and cycling converge in a sense of blissful progression forward, in which my body is working hard but at a level I feel I could sustain forever, with few thoughts in my mind other than watching and hearing things go by, inhaling the air, and feeling the rhythm of my feet.

Short of those experiences, which happen once or twice a month, I find I enjoy cycling mostly for the way it lets me explore new places and revisit familiar ones, at a pace that's better for discovery than driving but lets me range up to 50 or 60 miles from home, while what I like about running is the feeling of enjoyment or satisfaction that comes from the activity itself.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    When I go to yoga and I'm lying on the mat searching for some kind of zen moment, my mind is never still and I'm always thinking of all the other things I should be doing. However, when I hit the road (or better yet, the trail), I can run for miles and miles and my mind is calm.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I started running 5 weeks ago because I wanted to challenge myself and add some activity in conjunction with calorie counting. I really look forward to my workouts now. It's my "me" time.

Also, I really, really love beer.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

^^^ this!

Check my profile. I run for beer.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

^^^ this!

I knew I liked you.
  • mwyvr
    Options

^^^ this!

I knew I liked you.

I hang with only the best beer drinking runners and a few runners that drink.

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I run simply because it's a change of pace from my HIIT workouts.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    (1) because zombies are chasing me

Sounds like you need the Zombies Run! app :)

• TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I always thought I would hate running. I hated it as a child. I had difficulty breathing when running and morbidly obese, but I wanted to do something to lose weight. When I found the C25K program and completed it, I finally learned to love running.

I am still working on endurance, speed, and all that, but it is so cathartic, and the post-run endorphins...oh my gosh! It's addictive! Just be sure to get a good fitting pair of running shoes, some non-chafing clothing, maybe some tunes for the road, and go. I run on the treadmill in my gym and listen to my tunes while reading a book. The time just flies by! (I put the book in a holder on the treadmill.) When running outside, I just listen to music turned down low so I can hear what's going on around me, but the music gives me a nice beat for pacing.
  • JustME1611
    JustME1611 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to run, well I should say jog. I'm on week 4 of C25K. Every week I worry that I can't do it but so far I have! Of course I jog at snail's pace but I'm looking forward to getting better and better. It's a great feeling when I reach the end of a session and was able to jog the whole time I was supposed to.
  • kidcuba176
    kidcuba176 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Confidence
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't run. I don't have the endurance for it. I can do a slow run for about 3-4 minutes, then I'm done in. Kudos to all you runners out there, who can do miles and miles at a time.

If you are interested in running for more than 3-4 minutes, I suggest that you slow your pace [most beginning runners try to sprint (or run too fast), rather than run at an easy pace (easy pace: can you carry a conversation while you run?)], then walk for 1-2 minutes (end of set 1) and repeat 'til 10-15 minutes have passed. Then, each following week add another set (run-walk, 5-6 minutes). When your training sessions lasts for 30 minutes or more, begin to reduce the time you walk by 15-20 seconds per set.

Before you know it, you're a runner (i.e., you can run continuously for 30 minutes: my definition, others' definition may differ).

Hint: Run for a time (duration) rather than for a distance or for a pace (speed).
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Because it doesn't hurt all the time anymore. LOL. I'm just so dang happy about that that I love it now!
  • apriljmcmillan
    apriljmcmillan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love this! I totally relate to a lot of what you said. For years I thought running seemed boring and I couldn't understand why people did it for fun. But over the past year and a half, I got interested, for health reasons. I started using a treadmill, challenging myself to run a whole mile without stopping, then I tried two.

A friend who has run for years invited me to join her early morning route. Although I'm not a morning person in any way, I knew that with my work schedule, if I didn't workout in the morning it would not happen. So I tried and --miracle-- I fell in love! I actually grew to LOVE getting out there at (never thought I'd say this) 5:30 in the morning!! It was an awesome feeling to finish 3 miles covered in sweat and then watch the sunrise. I grew from stopping several times to walk, to running the whole thing non-stop, and also increased my speed from 3 mph to 5.

I needed something that would give me a quantifiable feeling of accomplishment quickly, and running does that. When I run, once I push through feeling like I'll collapse, I feel SO strong, and that's what got me hooked.

I had to stop during pregnancy because of lack of energy and dizzy spells, but I miss it and I'm looking forward to getting back to it soon!!
  • Serena795
    Serena795 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I run--or rather, ran, because I'm temporarily out of commission--because nothing compares to the peace of a good long run on the trails, or the hard-earned sweat of a butt-kicking track workout. Can't wait to get back on my feet again!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I run because I hate it less than most other forms of exercise.

1) Put on shoes
    2) Go outside
    3) Run

What could be easier?
  • mwyvr
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    1) Put on shoes
    2) Go outside
    3) Run

What could be easier?

+1 to that.

• Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I run because I hate it less than most other forms of exercise.

1) Put on shoes
    2) Go outside
    3) Run

What could be easier?

This!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

^^^ this!

It was beer that was my motivation to begin running.

• mwyvr
    Options
    @7lenny7 I remember you pointing out that series. Such a good idea... we have so many craft breweries here no doubt one (or more) of them would be interested in sponsoring an event. I might just take the bull by the horns and see if we can get one going. Personally I'd like to run from brewery to brewery, what a fine day that would be LOL.