Cokes and dr peppers

Options
2»

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Like science always has it right?
    Regardless of what side you are on scientist can make numbers say what ever they want...

http://www.medicaldaily.com/diet-soda-vs-regular-soda-one-worse-you-other-308063

also read.... http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-drinks/soft-drinks-and-disease/

By your logic, should I stop washing my hands? After all, science has shown that can prevent infections, but science can be wrong...
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sigh....my only point was that people always want "evidence" but even if you give it they will find some other "evidence" that says you are wrong or the numbers are wrong. Bottom line is people will believe what they want to believe. They will do what they want to do.

I only know how my body felt before and after giving up soda...and I lost 10lbs without even trying. It's not scientific by any means, it's just what I personally experienced.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Science is only right when it confirms the posters opinions/point of view :wink:
  • Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    try carbonated water and get some flavored Stevia at the health food store - it really helped me stop that drastict urge for soda - diet is very bad for you and studies say it brings on cravings
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero. I have been drinking diet soda for decades, none of the scary stuff has happened to me yet.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Dr. Pepper 10? It tastes closer to real Dr. Pepper than diet and is only 10 calories a can. I really like it.
  • rebeccamorgan58152
    rebeccamorgan58152 Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Like science always has it right?
    Regardless of what side you are on scientist can make numbers say what ever they want...
    That's not really how science works. You have a hypothesis, and you test to see if said hypothesis is supported by the data. For any given topic, such as the possible impact of diet soda intake on various physical parameters, there is likely to be a number of different hypotheses, different studies, different approaches and different findings, some are more valuable or relevant than others. You can cherry pick evidence to support your personal opinions without having a good understanding of the relative value of the evidence, or you can make claims based on your personal experience, but there's no need to drag science into it. I'm a data scientist and yes, I can make the numbers say whatever I want, but then it wouldn't be science, it would be lying. Just like cold fusion and vaccination causing autism.
    /rant
    ETA cold fusion involving buckets of heavy water, at any rate

• rebeccamorgan58152
    rebeccamorgan58152 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Also, to the OP, when I stopped drinking coke, I switched to sparkling water and drank unsweetened tea with milk in order to combat the vile caffeine withdrawal headaches. I used to drink mountains of coke and decided to stop because of the calories and dental problems. I occasionally have diet coke, since I like the taste, but I found the sparkling water/tea combo worked very well for me when I wanted to kick the soda habit.