Insanity: The Asylum - beginning 5/30/11 - NEED SUPPORT!

Options
Hey everyone,

I start The Asylum tomorrow and am very much looking for support! If you've done (or will be doing) Asylum or any other "extreme" program, I'd love for you to join me here to help keep each other motivated!

Thanks!

Mel

Replies

• wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Insanity tomorrow (not Asylum). I'll need support too. We can DO IT!!
  • summer_anne
    summer_anne Posts: 35
    Options
    i just finished my first week of ASYLUM i love it
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I actually JUST finished Insanity and I think I'm going to take a couple of weeks off and then hit the Asylum. I'll check back and see how you're doing....it looks tough.
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Insanity tomorrow (not Asylum). I'll need support too. We can DO IT!!

I just finished TurboFire and Chalean Extreme hybrid... I've done Insanity, but it's been a few months. Insanity was the toughest workout I've ever done! Soooo.... a little nervous about what Asylum will be like! I did the Fit Test and although I was pleasantly surprised by how many reps I could do of each activity, I confirmed that I really need to work on my form!

Very much looking forward to improving my agility and speed!

Keep me posted on your Insanity challenges & triumphs! Look forward to hearing about them!

Mel
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm starting P90X tomorrow! Still figuring out whether I should be excited or scared :wink:
  • melcowenfitness
    Options
    I'm starting P90X tomorrow! Still figuring out whether I should be excited or scared :wink:

I started with P90X - tough.... but I LOVED it! It's an amazing workout program... be excited!
  • BomDiggity
    BomDiggity Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this program. What is it?
  • melcowenfitness
    Options
    I've never heard of this program. What is it?

It's a high intensity sports performance workout program put out by Beachbody. I'm hoping it'll help me improve my agility and speed... I'm definitely not a "pro" athlete, but I enjoy the challenge!
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I am on day 5 of Insanity and would love to join a group for high intensity interval training! I could use all of the support I can get right now and through the ~60 days!
  • melcowenfitness
    Options
    Welcome Sara! You've got support right here! Glad to have you with us.
  • melcowenfitness
    Options
    Today was Day 2 - Strength... I'm much more comfortable with the weight training day then the cardio day! Chalean Extreme prepped me well for today's workout!

How's everyone else doing?
  • melcowenfitness
    Options
    Day 4: Vertical Plyo - aka Death by Jumping! Holy cow!:love: I knew I needed help with shoulder strength... but doing meaningful exercises with my legs was tough! This is one tough workout program but I am so loving it because I know it's going to help with my problem areas - like strength in upper & lower body, speed, agility - I really need to learn how to control where my body goes during exercises... be more aware of form, etc.

What are you doing to improve your overall health? How do you push yourself to move up to the next level? I would love to hear all about it!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    OMG I am LOVING Insanity!! It is so hard, and I sweat so much it's like I'm standing under a shower head! I've discovered my quads are not as strong as I thought they were. They're usually spent by the end of the warm up and stretch, but then I have to push thru the work out itself. So it's a toughy. But I love it!! And I feel so good when I can keep up with the reps. I may not be as high intensity as some of those people, but if I can keep up with the reps, I'll get stronger and the higher intensity will come. :) I love it! I'm taking it home with me this weekend to visit fam and maybe my mom will try it out with me. :) My younger bro is excited to try it when he gets home from college too. We're just one big, Insane family! lol
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    ME TOO ME TOO!!!

I did the fit/agility test on Sunday, speed and agility on Monday and strength yesterday. I LOVED STRENGTH!!! My favourite weight workout ever, and i have done all the Beachbody staples!

I know I haven't done Vertical Plyo or Game day yet.... so i'm totally jinxing myself by saying this.... but INSANITY was WAY harder! My first week of Insanity I was ready to puke 3 or 4 times per workout and Aslyum seems far less hard, but maybe because i'm in great shape from Insanity (that's sarcasm btw, lol). Looking forward to Asylum getting much harder and kicking my butt. Otherwise I will have to switch over to the Asylum/Insanity hybrid in the next couple weeks.
  • simplysara9
    Options
    I made it through my first week of Insanity and started week 2 yesterday. The first week was torture and I was sore everyday! After the first workout I could barely walk the next morning at work (which isn't good because I am on my feet all day!). I am finally comfortable with the workouts and do modify some of the moves because they are too difficult to do with my weight. I am actually enjoying the program and breaking a sweat during the warm up!

I am not sure what is going on with me today though. I am super tired and can barely stay awake. I am going to eat lunch and lay down for a bit and hopefully be better to workout later this afternoon. I am not use to working out 6 days a week so I think it might have finally caught up to me! I am just afraid if I take another day off (besides what I am scheduled) that I will not stay on track and will never finish! I hope I get through this rut this afternoon and can continue on!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That is interesting to hear that Asylum is not as hard as Insanity....I have been mixing Insanity with Spinning and weights now for about 5 weeks maybe....it is a great mix. I use dfferent DVD's for my weights (Jackie Warner, The FIrm, Bob Harper) and then do 2 to 3 Insanities and then hop on my spin bike, or I will do a spin DVD....I am pretty happy with this routine for now. I think it gives me plenty of variety...I ran last week 3 miles and was so sore. It is interesting how different workouts can make you sore.....I have been sore for 2 weeks, so I guess I am doing something right! Keep us updated on the Asylum....I was thinking of going to TurboFire next....any thoughts on that one?
  • melcowenfitness
    Options
    Wow! So many posts to reply to!

@lauristewart - I'm only on Day 4 of Asylum and would agree that it's not "as hard" (so far!) as Insanity but I think it's because every day of Insanity is an intense cardio workout whereas 2 of the 4 days of Asylum have been cardio and the other 2 have been more strength training. As for TurboFire - I LOVE IT! It is by far the most fun yet intense workout I've ever done. I swear it's like a natural drug that leaves you addicted to the workouts. It's hard to stay away from it! I just finished a TurboFire/Chalean Extreme hybrid and will definitely be incorporating both back into my workouts once I'm done with Asylum.

@simplysara9 - definitely look at the amount of calories you are taking in. Because of the intensity of the workout, you really need to bump up your calories so you don't bonk. I had the same problem when I first did Insanity. Use this Nutrition Guide to help you... http://tinyurl.com/intenseworkoutguide - There's an attachment there - all you have to do is plug in your numbers to figure out the total # of calories you should be eating every day. It comes straight out of the Insanity guide book; just someone else did a nice excel spreadsheet to do the work for you!

@foreverjade - I too am interested to see how this progresses. Vertical Plyo today - Shaun T had me doing some wicked jumps WITH bands on.... My legs are still Jello 12+ hours later!

@wdwghettogirl - Keep up the good work with Insanity! I hear ya on the sweating! I just hate it when it gets in my eyes!

I've been vlogging my workouts every morning as a way to show others "my age" that it doesn't matter how old you are, anyone can get into shape. If anyone wants to see what Shaun T tortures me with on a daily basis, you can go to my Facebook page any time to check it out! www.facebook.com/melcowenfitness2 --- some videos are just too dang funny because of my lack of agility! But I'm okay with having fun with myself! I know improvement is just around the corner.

Great job ladies! Keep up the good work.
  • simplysara9
    Options
    I wear my heart rate monitor for every workout so I know what I am burning and I eat most if not all of those calories back.

A lot of people at work have been sick lately and I just think it is finally catching up to me. I haven't been sick yet this year. I am hoping some rest and vitamin C will do the trick!
  • melcowenfitness
    Options
    I would still recommend checking the calorie calculator. Insanity requires a significant amount of calories to be consumed to keep up your energy and to lose weight.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just finished Back to Core.... Not my favourite!!! Holy it was painful and such a low calorie burn. I know I can't quit it though because those damn swimming exercises killed me!! Can't wait to get some serious cardio in with Vertical Plyo... don't know if I agree with the way the week 1 schedule was set up...

Lauri - TurboFire is AWESOME. seriously so much fun! However, if you are used to high calorie burns and hard kore workouts (which from your schedule, it seems like you are), then you will likely be disappointed. While I found TF super hard for about a week, I adjusted quickly. Now, I still use TF workouts on days that I feel lazy or on a scheduled "rest day" (which I never take). I don't think I'll ever quit using TF completely though bc I love doing it.... but I couldn't use it exclusively for a cal burn and I hated the strength workouts that were included in it.