swimming and throwing up?

Options
13»

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oh, and also, you should simply do less exercise. :) 3 hours a day of hard exercise regularly, especially for someone your age, is TOO MUCH!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    If you drank 3L or water on top of dinner and tried to exercise, that could cause a LOT of people to throw up.

That is a LOT of water. That's more than a day's worth for normal levels of exercise:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

I don't know where the water intoxication line is, but 7 liters sounds in the really-not-good-high range.

That alone could cause you to vomit:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

If you're regularly drinking more than 3L a day, and you're sure that number is right, you should talk to a doctor--sooner rather than later.

7 liters is more than TWENTY-NINE cups of water. That is definitely in water-intoxication territory, especially for someone as small as you are.

It's probably a good thing that you threw up and probably has little or nothing to do with swimming.

There aren't hard-and-fast rules about water limits, but even 3-4 liters a day is a lot for you. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get yourself checked out by a doctor.

Tenkides, what is your native language?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    If you drank the 3 litres of water quite quickly, you may have been suffering from water intoxication, which would explain the vomiting. Or it could have been from drinking so much and then working out. Both bad ideas.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Finally, if you're not quite 18 and you're saying you are to not get kicked off, you should have no more than a 500 calorie deficit. You'll still be growing a lot.

Even at 18, you MIGHT be growing some, and you want to give your body enough calories to do that. Both my mother and I grew half an inch in college. My chest didn't stop growing until I was 21.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited July 2015
    Options
    hearthwood wrote: »
    Yes, you ate and drank too much before you went swimming. If your stomach is full and you try and exercise you will have blood competing with digesting food, and pumping blood to your heart and organs to satisfy them. At some point something is going to give, and this caused you to throw the food up, so your body could handle the exercise.

i think 5 tater tots and 1.5 oz chicken 3 hours before swimming is too much
    She drunk to much for sure

Please read her diary before responding. The OP has some serious issues and need professional help
    What she is doing is a kind of bulimia nervosa
    ( trying to train so much calories or more as you have ate)

I have a few younger people on my friends list who didn't quite "get" TDEE at first and thought they had to exercise any deficit as well as eat a smaller amount. It can be an honest mistake. Some people to whom all this is new also think that more is always better. :)

That's why I try to explain WHY having too high a deficit is bad, in actual biological terms. A lot of people go, "Why don't you want me to lose weight?" Telling them that they must have an eating disorder (I've had a LOT of friends do crazy crash diets without having an eating disorder!) isn't always the most constructive.

Some might. But when we have tons of newspapers telling us we can lose 10lbs in 5 days or other crazy stuff, a lot of people don't see why that's not realistic.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    hearthwood wrote: »
    Yes, you ate and drank too much before you went swimming. If your stomach is full and you try and exercise you will have blood competing with digesting food, and pumping blood to your heart and organs to satisfy them. At some point something is going to give, and this caused you to throw the food up, so your body could handle the exercise.

i think 5 tater tots and 1.5 oz chicken 3 hours before swimming is too much
    She drunk to much for sure

Please read her diary before responding. The OP has some serious issues and need professional help
    What she is doing is a kind of bulimia nervosa
    ( trying to train so much calories or more as you have ate)

I have a few younger people on my friends list who didn't quite "get" TDEE at first and thought they had to exercise any deficit as well as eat a smaller amount. It can be an honest mistake. Some people to whom all this is new also think that more is always better. :)

she had posts before
    Believe me she has some issues!

She needs professional help!

• Sorchya
    Sorchya Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you are needing that much water on a daily basis you might want to get a checkup. It is a symptom of quite a few illnesses.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    tenkides wrote: »
    I ate 3 hours before swimming. What should i set my weight loss at? I am 18,136 lbs,4ft 8. How much should I be eating then.

Okay, you're 4'8", so that means that you CAN afford to lose the weight you want to lose. I'm so glad!!!!

You need to take it more slowly, though. You should run a deficit of no more than 1,000 calories right now. Though you're obese, you're also quite short. So set your ticker to give you 2lbs of loss per week and then eat more whenever you earn more through exercise.

If you aren't losing at about 2lbs per week, you can figure that you're overcounting your exercise and scale back a little.

If you are losing faster, you should eat a little more.

She should not be aiming for a 2lb loss a week - more like 1lb or even 1/2lb per week, she doesn't have enough to lose AND IS STILL GROWING too high a deficit could cause all sorts of problems.

OP - please go and speak to your doctor about your diet and water drinking - you are not eating enough and if you are really drinking 7l a day - you are seriously putting your health in jeopardy. There is a thing as too much water.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Water intoxication is a very real thing and it can lead to death. Don't drink so much.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You need to stop drinking so much water before swimming, or any excersise!! I also think your starving your body. No wonder your throwing up.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I told you before that what you were doing was bad...the swimming with the flippers for an idiot long time as 3 hours
    You are not eating properly...what do you expect?

This was bound to go wrong!
    Sorry that i am so harsh
    But people this girl nets NEGATIVE she swims for hours and hours and hours and dont eat any of her calories back

Holy crap. Don't be sorry. I think it was something that needed to be said. Seriously OP. Stop abusing your body and overall health.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    1316713879_castle_reaction.gif

I keep trying to understand what's happening here, but I give up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    tenkides wrote: »
    I ate 3 hours before swimming. What should i set my weight loss at? I am 18,136 lbs,4ft 8. How much should I be eating then.

Okay, you're 4'8", so that means that you CAN afford to lose the weight you want to lose. I'm so glad!!!!

You need to take it more slowly, though. You should run a deficit of no more than 1,000 calories right now. Though you're obese, you're also quite short. So set your ticker to give you 2lbs of loss per week and then eat more whenever you earn more through exercise.

If you aren't losing at about 2lbs per week, you can figure that you're overcounting your exercise and scale back a little.

If you are losing faster, you should eat a little more.

She should not be aiming for a 2lb loss a week - more like 1lb or even 1/2lb per week, she doesn't have enough to lose AND IS STILL GROWING too high a deficit could cause all sorts of problems.

OP - please go and speak to your doctor about your diet and water drinking - you are not eating enough and if you are really drinking 7l a day - you are seriously putting your health in jeopardy. There is a thing as too much water.

Cosigned.

• salstg
    salstg Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    So.. I'm a avid swimmer and I generally burp a lot after a good swim session. I think it's a function of breathing through your mouth and having to hold the air for a certain amount of time. I think some of that air goes in to your stomach. With the amount of water you drank your stomach was probably pretty full. It wouldn't take much to push it out. My assumption is that you episode was more like your stomach making space instead of a gagging one.