Mitral Valve Prolapse & exercise

Options
natalse
natalse Posts: 22 Member
Im 21 and I was diagnosed with MVP when I was about 14. I was told that it's healthy for people with MVP to exercise and that it will make my heart stronger. My problem is that I get dizzy and my hands shake uncontrollably sometimes even after just running for five mins. And I know it's not just because I'm out of shape.

Does anyone else have this problem?
I'm going to see my doctor in about two weeks but I'm just wondering if anyone has been through the same thing and what they did.

Replies

• JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My son has it. Call your dr before you do anymore strenuous exercise because that's not normal. You'll probably need another echo to rule out the prolapse as the issue. Better to be safe than sorry. :smile:
  • natalse
    Options
    My son has it. Call your dr before you do anymore strenuous exercise because that's not normal. You'll probably need another echo to rule out the prolapse as the issue. Better to be safe than sorry. :smile:

Thanks! I'll do that. Do you happen to know anything about losing weight with MVP, I'm not sure if your son has ever had to do lose weight or wanted to. But my calorie goal is 1,000. I'm 21 years old by the way and 5'3 170 lbs
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    natalse wrote: »

Thanks! I'll do that. Do you happen to know anything about losing weight with MVP, I'm not sure if your son has ever had to do lose weight or wanted to. But my calorie goal is 1,000. I'm 21 years old by the way and 5'3 170 lbs

You should be able to lose weight without having to restrict all the way down to 1,000 calories. I'm 5'2" and 165, so proportionately we're pretty close. My calorie goal is set to 1450 and I'm seeing progress. I was on MFP before and lost 11 lb and was trying to eat between 1200 to 1300 but was so hungry I got fed up and quit that and gained the weight back. Just my 2 cents.
  • natalse
    Options

You should be able to lose weight without having to restrict all the way down to 1,000 calories. I'm 5'2" and 165, so proportionately we're pretty close. My calorie goal is set to 1450 and I'm seeing progress. I was on MFP before and lost 11 lb and was trying to eat between 1200 to 1300 but was so hungry I got fed up and quit that and gained the weight back. Just my 2 cents.

That's really helpful, I'll increase my calorie intake, thanks!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As I posted in your other similar thread, I have had it all my life with no complications. I am athletic, and recently lost over 60 pounds.

Most people with Mitral Valve Prolapse go through their entire lives without any issues relating to the condition. Your issues may not be related to MVP.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

I doubt MFP gave you that goal since the minimum for a woman is 1,200 calories.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't having hypoglycemic attacks?