no weight loss since I started

Options
Hi, I've recently put on about a14lbs due to medication. I've now stopped this and been on my diet for 4 days. Problem is I haven't lost anything at all. I have stuck to MFP but getting fedup with no weight loss. Do I have to wait longer? Thanks

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Four days.

You're ready to flounce off and quit after FOUR DAYS?!

Of course you have to wait longer! If you are this impatient then I can guarantee you will fail.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    After 4 *days*? Seriously?
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different solutions to this issue (as you will probably read on this thread later on), but my solution is to weigh yourself daily for a couple of weeks and try to aim for a small but noticable level of hunger. Avoid high energy dense foods such as chocolate. I don't know about other people but I would expect to notice a loss after 2-3 days. Generally speaking, the first week of weight loss creates a largish loss that you won't get again. Daily weighing is advantageous because due to daily fluctuations, it is quite possible that you lost fat but gained water which cancelled each other out. Water gains usually last a day or two only (due to say, high salt intake) so you can see the daily fat losses and water gains.
  • kmtbeaulieu
    kmtbeaulieu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To lose 14 lbs you're looking at losing 2-3 lbs a week if you wanna be healthy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yes

you have to do it right - weight and log accurately

and you have to wait longer - 6-8 weeks and take the average weight loss
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    To lose 14 lbs you're looking at losing 2-3 lbs a week if you wanna be healthy.

That's not correct - 1lb a week at most

but that said OP has weight gain as a result of medication? More than likely if over a short time it's some type of fluid retention and that will strip quickly

if weight gain was due to increased appetite hence increased food consumption then back to a sane amount of 1lb a week

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Give it more time, man. It would be awesome if weight loss was just a week long minding of calories and *poof* you are thin, but that is not how it works. If you want advice on your diary already (give yourself your best start), open it so we can have a look and give you some pointers.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are accurately measuring/weighing/recording your food and drink. Don't forget tastes and nibbles. Look hard at your choices. Whole foods tend to be better choices than a lot of factory produced food. Try not to drink your calories in sugar sweetened beverages. And move some. The weight will come off eventually.
  • sn4k3y
    sn4k3y Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments. my medication increased my appetite and interfered with the fat in my system but thankfully now off them. One thing i may add is i drink about 6 cans of diet coke per day and hardly any water, will this make a difference as i thought you were still getting fluid the same way?

Thanks
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    its only been FOUR days..

it can up to two to three weeks for your body to adjust to the new eating place and lack of medication …

• ndj1979
    Options
    but here is my standard advice…

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

couple stickies I would recommend:

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • daveinreston
    daveinreston Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi! Read this in Time Magazine about research on diet soft drinks: http://time.com/3746047/diet-soda-bad-belly-fat/ Switch to water (with a little lemon or lime if you prefer) and see what happens.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    sn4k3y wrote: »
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments. my medication increased my appetite and interfered with the fat in my system but thankfully now off them. One thing i may add is i drink about 6 cans of diet coke per day and hardly any water, will this make a difference as i thought you were still getting fluid the same way?

Thanks

you may be slightly dehydrated but if you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hi! Read this in Time Magazine about research on diet soft drinks: http://time.com/3746047/diet-soda-bad-belly-fat/ Switch to water (with a little lemon or lime if you prefer) and see what happens.

diet coke does not negate CICO.

and time is not a peer reviewed source
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.

• amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Its taken me 45 days to lose 5 lbs and 4 inches off and im happy..in the beginning its easy to get in a mindset of im going to lose weight and i want it off now ..patience is the key .it takes time .you can do this!
  • BelaErdos
    BelaErdos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    loosing weight is sounds easy, but hard to do it right. You have to aim 3 things at once:

1- cardio
    2- work out with weight
    3- check your food

You can loose weight if you do only 1 of them but takes longer. If you keep all 3 in balance you will do the magice.

Some help:
    Make sure you healthy, if you have any condition : hearth issue, diabetes consult your doctor before you kill yourself!

1- cardio : get the 5k runner app (any will do it) and start use the treadmill. First couple of days not that hard, it will be like: 1 min jog, 3 min walk, 1min jog etc. Do not try to go crazy, do what the program say. I do it 3 times a week: Mon-Wed-Fri. Speed: use 5.0 for jog, 3.5 for walk, later you can incrase as you feel but if it's getting hard go back to 5.0. The goal to do the program each day w/o killing yourself.

2- Since you run you can aim for upper body. I do Tue-shoulder, Thr-chest, Sat-arms. Sun is a day off! Choose 4-5 execrsize and keep track of the weight you use. Abdominal Crunch EVERY DAY no expection!

3- 0 sugar. I mean it. You don't need that crap. Avoid white flower, white rice, use whole wheat and brown rice. Target the heaviest meal 6-12:00pm, than go for the rest of the day with fruits primarly. Less sweet the better for you. Evening try to avoid any food after 10pm. Check for carbohydrate that + sugar is the enemy #1. You don't have to starve! For dinner I eat most of the time: 6 boiled egg whit shreded and mixed with 1/2 avocado, you put a bit salt+ pepper in it and fill it into a nice 6 slice 95% fat free ham. Honel for example tastes great. You wont believe, but sometimes you will not able to eat all 6 of them, and the total KCal will be less than 300!! If you track your KCal intake and you still have like 500 to go you can pleasure yourself with a shreaded light cheese. Tuna is your other friend for dinner, you can mix it with the egg white. Egg white generally hepls with high protein low Kcal 0 Carb, but fill you up like crazy. Outmeal (unsweetened plain cheap one), you put like 2 cup outmeal+ 1% milk and microwave it for ~1-2 min than you sneak some greaps into. It's an excellent filler as I call it. As you see all this food are incredible low on carb and all of them almost 0g sugar.

Keep all this 3 balanced, do not overdo any. If you still hungry check for any food with ultra low carb and 0 sugar. I lost 14lbs in 1 month and never ever was hungry. People give up loose weight because of hunger.

You shuld see progress in 1 week for sure. Measure yourself every morning after you get up and take a bethroom, but before you consum any food.

Good luck, never give up!
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    BelaErdos wrote: »
    loosing weight is sounds easy, but hard to do it right. You have to aim 3 things at once:

1- cardio
    2- work out with weight
    3- check your food

You can loose weight if you do only 1 of them but takes longer. If you keep all 3 in balance you will do the magice.

Some help:
    Make sure you healthy, if you have any condition : hearth issue, diabetes consult your doctor before you kill yourself!

1- cardio : get the 5k runner app (any will do it) and start use the treadmill. First couple of days not that hard, it will be like: 1 min jog, 3 min walk, 1min jog etc. Do not try to go crazy, do what the program say. I do it 3 times a week: Mon-Wed-Fri. Speed: use 5.0 for jog, 3.5 for walk, later you can incrase as you feel but if it's getting hard go back to 5.0. The goal to do the program each day w/o killing yourself.

2- Since you run you can aim for upper body. I do Tue-shoulder, Thr-chest, Sat-arms. Sun is a day off! Choose 4-5 execrsize and keep track of the weight you use. Abdominal Crunch EVERY DAY no expection!

3- 0 sugar. I mean it. You don't need that crap. Avoid white flower, white rice, use whole wheat and brown rice. Target the heaviest meal 6-12:00pm, than go for the rest of the day with fruits primarly. Less sweet the better for you. Evening try to avoid any food after 10pm. Check for carbohydrate that + sugar is the enemy #1. You don't have to starve! For dinner I eat most of the time: 6 boiled egg whit shreded and mixed with 1/2 avocado, you put a bit salt+ pepper in it and fill it into a nice 6 slice 95% fat free ham. Honel for example tastes great. You wont believe, but sometimes you will not able to eat all 6 of them, and the total KCal will be less than 300!! If you track your KCal intake and you still have like 500 to go you can pleasure yourself with a shreaded light cheese. Tuna is your other friend for dinner, you can mix it with the egg white. Egg white generally hepls with high protein low Kcal 0 Carb, but fill you up like crazy. Outmeal (unsweetened plain cheap one), you put like 2 cup outmeal+ 1% milk and microwave it for ~1-2 min than you sneak some greaps into. It's an excellent filler as I call it. As you see all this food are incredible low on carb and all of them almost 0g sugar.

Keep all this 3 balanced, do not overdo any. If you still hungry check for any food with ultra low carb and 0 sugar. I lost 14lbs in 1 month and never ever was hungry. People give up loose weight because of hunger.

You shuld see progress in 1 week for sure. Measure yourself every morning after you get up and take a bethroom, but before you consum any food.

Good luck, never give up!

The only thing that matters for weight loss is Calories in<Calories out. That deficit can be made entirely by controlling intake. The types of food don't matter. There is no need to cut out anything you enjoy. Just moderate consumption of high calorie foods.

Exercise has lots of benefits. And while it does increase calories out, the amount of work required to make a difference is huge compared to cutting the amount of peanut butter you eat in half, for example.

Lastly, if you choose to exercise, and part of that is lifting weights, running doesn't count as legs. Squats, deadlifts, etc are still an important part of lifting programs.

OP - give it some time. Meet your goal everyday. Be honest with yourself. Try to do it for at least two weeks before making major changes.

Edited for spelling
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    This seems appropriate:
    qo1p9wqva2ww.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    sn4k3y wrote: »
    Hi, I've recently put on about a14lbs due to medication. I've now stopped this and been on my diet for 4 days. Problem is I haven't lost anything at all. I have stuck to MFP but getting fedup with no weight loss. Do I have to wait longer? Thanks

4 days??

Be patient, you've only just begun.

It took me 10 days before I saw the loss of a single gram.