Exercise that doesn't involve the gym - HELP!

Options
Hi all,

I am back on my weight loss journey after putting on 2 STONE in 6 months (crazy)!! It wasn't until my clothes stopped fitting me, noticing how I 'big' I looked in pictures and just generally feeling a bit rubbish with how I looked. Before Xmas I lost about 8lbs and my starting weight was a lot lighter BUT since then I have put all that weight back on and more. After 2 weeks of healthy heating, cutting down on sugar and carbs I have lost half a stone which is great but a long way off where I want to be. One of my main struggles is exercise, I really do not feel comfortable going to the gym and I know I wont go. I have been walking, possibly 30 mins a day if not more but I am very aware that I will not get to my weight goal (10.5 Stone) with limited exercise. Anyone got any tips or ideas on the next plan of action for me? :)

Replies

• nikinuu
    nikinuu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been steadily loosing by walking however i walk around 7miles a day so a lot longer than 30minutes I do it just so I can eat more honestly
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,214 Member
    Options
    Walk longer.
    Walk faster.
    Include hills and stairs in your walk.
    Ride a bicycle.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If you have stairs where you live or work take those as much as possible. Sometimes I just walk up and down the stairs in my house, multiple times.

What about an exercise dvd? or seeing if there are any shows on TV? or YouTube? There are all kinds -- aerobics, dance, easy, hard. The beauty of these is that you can close the curtains in your house and no one will see. :lol:

That's all I've got, sorry. Personally I hate to exercise and it's always a struggle for force myself to the gym. I belong to our local community center which has a workout area. I like it better than a gym because it seems there are more "ordinary-looking" people there, of all ages. lol
  • shazzyx3
    shazzyx3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    cut out all sugars and carbs. try and do some research on the keto diet. try going for a jog and do workouts at home. You obviously will need some space but exercising at home is just as good. I don't like going to the gym, I have done in the past and always stop going after a while. I'm the same as you thoug these past 6 months iI have put on so much weight, all my family and friends have noticed it too and always have to comment on it, which is a bit *kitten*. but good luck bbe hope this helps
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    walk

get a fitbit or similar - only the basic kind needed

and move more

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    [quote="shazzyx3;33271931"]cut out all sugars and carbs. try and do some research on the keto diet. try going for a jog and do workouts at home. You obviously will need some space but exercising at home is just as good. I don't like going to the gym, I have done in the past and always stop going after a while. I'm the same as you thoug these past 6 months iI have put on so much weight, all my family and friends have noticed it too and always have to comment on it, which is a bit *kitten*. but good luck bbe hope this helps [/quote]

No.

OP doesn't have to do that since what she's been doing has been working for her.

There are tons of exercise videos on youtube like jillian michaels, blogilates, fitness blender.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    body combat video on you tube amazing
  • emfin2014
    emfin2014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All great ideas. I will have a look at what fitness DVD's are out there. I recently did a 39 mile cycle for a charity and I don't know if I will ever ride a bike again :wink:
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi...one thing i find that works great is resistance bands. You can get them in various resistance as well. You can do some dumbells at home or even body weight exercises. You can find so many videos on the internet.
  • lewissheldon125
    lewissheldon125 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I completely understand where you are coming from with regards to commercial gyms, they are often full of posers and can make you feel uncomfortable, plus they can be expensive. In my experience of having used both gyms such as that and spending time training in boxing gyms I can say i have seen better results training in the boxing gyms with very little traditional weights or machinery, you can do the same range of exercises in your home using just your own body weight that will burn calories, tone your body, don't cost any money, don't require any equipment and don't take a massive amount of time to complete, the key for me is to commit to completing them 3 times a week to see a benefit.

As others have said there are lots of instructional video's such as the 30 day shred or the insanity style 20 min workouts you can take a look at but from a very basic start point I am sure you could work something like the below into your day and build it up over time and see results. You don't need to spend hours a day exercising to see toning and weight loss results.

30 seconds each exercise
    Press ups (if you can't complete a full press up, half press ups, if you can't complete that lower your knees)
    Sit ups
    Squat thrusts
    Crunches
    Star jumps
    Leg raises
    Burpees
    Plank

Start off having a rest in between each exercise, work towards completing the lot without a break and then when you reach that comfortably you can up the time spent doing each exercise. 3 times a week and you will notice a difference on top of your walking.

Good luck with reaching your targets.
  • emfin2014
    emfin2014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I completely understand where you are coming from with regards to commercial gyms, they are often full of posers and can make you feel uncomfortable, plus they can be expensive. In my experience of having used both gyms such as that and spending time training in boxing gyms I can say i have seen better results training in the boxing gyms with very little traditional weights or machinery, you can do the same range of exercises in your home using just your own body weight that will burn calories, tone your body, don't cost any money, don't require any equipment and don't take a massive amount of time to complete, the key for me is to commit to completing them 3 times a week to see a benefit.

As others have said there are lots of instructional video's such as the 30 day shred or the insanity style 20 min workouts you can take a look at but from a very basic start point I am sure you could work something like the below into your day and build it up over time and see results. You don't need to spend hours a day exercising to see toning and weight loss results.

30 seconds each exercise
    Press ups (if you can't complete a full press up, half press ups, if you can't complete that lower your knees)
    Sit ups
    Squat thrusts
    Crunches
    Star jumps
    Leg raises
    Burpees
    Plank

Start off having a rest in between each exercise, work towards completing the lot without a break and then when you reach that comfortably you can up the time spent doing each exercise. 3 times a week and you will notice a difference on top of your walking.

This is really helpful - thank you very much :)
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love the gym, but I hate that there's always other people there... also that they're super expensive. But I also hate body-weight workouts, and I have a hard time running outside because of allergy-induced asthma (also because it's damn hot here). But I suck it up and do jumping jacks, jump rope, push ups, crunches, squats (get that butt gurl!), but my favorite thing is dancing! You burn around 10 cals a minute doing aerobic dancing. For me that means just going crazy, or doing things like the Cupid Shuffle or the Wobble!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You've already received a ton of really helpful suggestions, but I'll add one more: you can download the Nike + Training Club app on your phone. It has tons of workouts similar to the ones lewissheldon125 suggested. They range from 15 to 45 minutes and have different levels (beginner, intermediate advanced).
    So accessible and totally doable.

• lewissheldon125
    lewissheldon125 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    emfin2014 wrote: »
    Hi,

This is really helpful - thank you very much :)

No probs. Best of luck.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym because I'd rather be outside exercising. If you're walking, look into rollerblading. It's great exercise, you're outdoors, it really tones your legs/butt/core and it's super fun.
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I walk or ride my bike. Three or four days a week I walk at least 30 minutes or sometimes more. Once of twice a week I ride my bike for a hour or two. In my case though I don't have access to a gym close by. The nearest one is 30 minutes away and I don't think I would use it that much because of the distance. There was one closer but it has since closed.
    Anyway, these activities work great for me! You can also explore the parks near you so that you never get bored.
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Do you swim? Swimming is great exercise, and a bit more fun than hitting the pavement.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Jefit app and look for bodyweight exercises, You Are Your Own Gym (google it), Convict Conditioning, a good pair of running shoes, walking, biking, swimming.......There are so many things you can do to get exercise. Step one is getting up and moving.

It's okay to hate it at first. Most people hate exercise at some point. The problem arises for people who use their dislike of something as excuses for failing to try. As long as you try, it really doesn't matter what the specific exercise is. Just do something and it'll help.