Enough Is Enough - 40 Pounds Need to GO!!!!

Options
mariemxx
mariemxx Posts: 56 Member
Hi Everyone!
My name is Marie, I've been struggling with my weight for quite some time now (about 2 years) I know what's right and what's wrong but I feel like I've just become lazy. I know I'm eating to much and I don't feel healthy anymore. I go for week binges where I am completely focused on eating healthy and losing weight and then somehow someway I regress back. I would love to add some people on here for motivation. I am taking it one pound at a time !

Replies

• gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    mariemxx wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!
    My name is Marie, I've been struggling with my weight for quite some time now (about 2 years) I know what's right and what's wrong but I feel like I've just become lazy. I know I'm eating to much and I don't feel healthy anymore. I go for week binges where I am completely focused on eating healthy and losing weight and then somehow someway I regress back. I would love to add some people on here for motivation. I am taking it one pound at a time !

I think we've all done this before, Marie. I'm currently on week 2 of 16 for my cut. It's always going to be a mental struggle. You just have to find a reason to commit. For me it's as your thread title says.."Enough is enough".
    Good luck!
  • mariemxx
    Options
    Thank you so much, I am really tired of feeling so gross all the time and I know its what I'm putting into my body along with not moving.. But I've had enough and I'm taking my body back !
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Hi Marie, I used to do this too, and then after about a decade - a light bulb went off in my head. Like you, I would do great for a while, but would regress, because when I was doing it 'right' it was too hard to keep it up. I was trying too hard to eat perfect, and I cut out a lot of foods I really liked because they weren't 'healthy'. What changed everything for me was when I quit trying to do everything perfectly, and resigned myself to taking a year or more to lose the weight instead of 4 months or grueling torture.

I continued to eat dessert and potato chips, but focused on portion size. I didn't deprive myself of any particular food, but tried to keep it within my calorie goal. Since a lot of the foods I especially like are calorie dense (lots of calories for not a lot of volume of food) I had to be careful to also eat lots of fruits and veggies, and protein to help curb my appetite. I fed my appetite AND my cravings, and for the first time ever felt satiated while trying to lose weight. I also added in extra activity to burn more calories so I could eat more yummy foods.

I lost 45 pound in 11 months and have kept it off for 8 months so far. This is a ridiculously long personal record for me.

I'm certainly not saying this is the only way that works, but if what you have done in the past hasn't worked well for you, don't just keep trying harder to do something that isn't working for you. Change something!
  • mariemxx
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    Hi Marie, I used to do this too, and then after about a decade - a light bulb went off in my head. Like you, I would do great for a while, but would regress, because when I was doing it 'right' it was too hard to keep it up. I was trying too hard to eat perfect, and I cut out a lot of foods I really liked because they weren't 'healthy'. What changed everything for me was when I quit trying to do everything perfectly, and resigned myself to taking a year or more to lose the weight instead of 4 months or grueling torture.

I continued to eat dessert and potato chips, but focused on portion size. I didn't deprive myself of any particular food, but tried to keep it within my calorie goal. Since a lot of the foods I especially like are calorie dense (lots of calories for not a lot of volume of food) I had to be careful to also eat lots of fruits and veggies, and protein to help curb my appetite. I fed my appetite AND my cravings, and for the first time ever felt satiated while trying to lose weight. I also added in extra activity to burn more calories so I could eat more yummy foods.

I lost 45 pound in 11 months and have kept it off for 8 months so far. This is a ridiculously long personal record for me.

I'm certainly not saying this is the only way that works, but if what you have done in the past hasn't worked well for you, don't just keep trying harder to do something that isn't working for you. Change something!

Wow thank you ! That truly helps. I just don't know where to start because I know I'm messing up when I go to Mcdonalds or go out to eat and instead of getting the Grilled Chicken sandwich or salad I get something fried. I know its a mistake but sometimes it's like my "big girl" mindset takes over and how disgusting I felt just an hour earlier no longer matters.
  • dsanford6156
    dsanford6156 Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi Marie, sounds like you and I are just alike. I struggle with this exact same thing. I have never weighed over 120 pounds in my life. Now I am 48, I weigh 170 pounds currently. I can't breath, bend down it is very hard. Enough is enough for me to. I just started today eating better choices. I would love some motivation with someone else as well. Good Luck to you
  • mariemxx
    Options
    Hi Marie, sounds like you and I are just alike. I struggle with this exact same thing. I have never weighed over 120 pounds in my life. Now I am 48, I weigh 170 pounds currently. I can't breath, bend down it is very hard. Enough is enough for me to. I just started today eating better choices. I would love some motivation with someone else as well. Good Luck to you

I am completely open for any motivation I can get from anyone. I am about 6 ft tall and weigh 235 right now and honestly I will never forget when I got on the scale about 2 years ago and saw 211 I was completely digusted. Now I get on the scale and almost want to cry .. I am here for motivation and I hope you will be too !
  • choff99
    choff99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Marie! It sounds like we're in a similar situation and age. I lost 20-30 pounds two years ago and have slowly been gaining it back. I do the same thing where I am super healthy and then the weekend comes and it all goes to hell.
    It would be great to have some support or someone to text when I want to start overindulging in cookies, ice cream and potato chips.
  • pascuabrianna
    pascuabrianna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Marie,

I feel you on everything you're saying here girl! It's hard to stay motivated and strict especially in a world that makes it so much harder to stay that way and so much easier to pick up some fast food and go. I believe in you! Don't let the fear of failing keep you from trying, that's what my dad always says to me and I KNOW you'll reach your goal, especially sticking with this community.

Stay strong hun!

Much love,
    Bri
  • mariemxx
    Options
    choff99 wrote: »
    Hi Marie! It sounds like we're in a similar situation and age. I lost 20-30 pounds two years ago and have slowly been gaining it back. I do the same thing where I am super healthy and then the weekend comes and it all goes to hell.
    It would be great to have some support or someone to text when I want to start overindulging in cookies, ice cream and potato chips.

Without a doubt ! I completely agree. I would definitely love to keep each other accountable. Shoot me a message !
  • mariemxx
    Options
    Hey Marie,

I feel you on everything you're saying here girl! It's hard to stay motivated and strict especially in a world that makes it so much harder to stay that way and so much easier to pick up some fast food and go. I believe in you! Don't let the fear of failing keep you from trying, that's what my dad always says to me and I KNOW you'll reach your goal, especially sticking with this community.

Stay strong hun!

Much love,
    Bri

Thank you very much Bri,
    This time around I am doing it and sticking with it. I see a lot of people saying don't necessarily cut out the foods you enjoy just eat them within moderation. So I am going to still try to erase some things that I know are just poison for my body but also incorporate some of the "bad" things too! Thank you for your motivation. I look forward to watching out progress together !
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Start with small changes you can live the rest of your life doing. That might mean a short walk a couple times a week. That might mean getting your 8 oz of water every day. That might be vowing to log everything you eat every meal of every day. That might mean adding a fruit or vegetable to at least 1 meal a day. That might cut your eating out down from 5 times a week to 3. I don't know what your habits or temptations are. But choose something do-able, and start by cutting back, not cutting out. If you can't sustain it, don't make it part of your 'diet'.

Once that small change feels normal add another small change or 2. Eventually as you start to make progress, you will be motivated to turn those small changes into bigger ones.

• Reeniec
    Reeniec Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Marie,

I so feel your pain. I have struggled with my weight since I graduated high school oh so many years ago. I recently read an article (goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/advice/a19539/weight-loss-texting/) that talked about texting your way through weight-loss with a weight loss buddy by sending motivational reminders and support. I've never done it myself but I've been curious to see if it would work for me. PM me if you're interested and no worries if not.

Either way, wishing you much success on your journey!

Irene
  • achapmanva
    achapmanva Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Hi Marie,
    I'm in the same boat as you! Most of the time when I fall off of my healthy eating it is so hard to get back on track. I'm determined now to make this work and not regress.
  • robper13
    robper13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi Marie,

I know how you feel. For the longest time, i have been trying to lose weight. Nothing ever worked for me. Even though i was exercising, i couldn't drop the weight...except maybe a pound or two. Then i would gain it back. It was frustrating. I guess it was my fault as i would eat until i got full, or i had to have at least two helpings. I was the heaviest i ever weighed last year....about 228. It was a gradual gain over like 10-12 years, about 40 pounds. I felt miserable. Then last year my wife and i tried this program called Diet Free Life. You basically eat every 2-3 hours, 3 snacks and 3 meals typically. You just had to have the right combination of proteins and carbs (fast/slow). You didnt have to cut out favorites like bread, pasta, etc. plus your snacks could be anything as long as it was in the suggested calorie range. We bought the program but actually didnt open the box until a few months later...lol. We then opened it and watched the dvds on how to put your fat loss plates together. Well, this has been the only thing that has ever worked for me. Plus i did get the Map my fitness app and started a walking program last July. I did fall off the program though for about a few months, but restarted again last month and am now at 199.2 and am losing about 1.5-2 pounds per week. I determined how much weight i wanted to lose each week by figuring out my resting calorie burn. I bought a jawbone up band which really helps alot. Plus downloaded the my fitness pal app last month to track my eating, etc. it has really been a positive experience. My wife and i are on the right track now. Hang in there, we know you can do it. Working out just enhances, accelerates the process. Eating the right combination of food, plus eating every 2-3 hours plus a sound fitness program will surely meet your needs. Good luck to you! You can do it!
  • mariemxx
    Options
    robper13 wrote: »
    Hi Marie,

I know how you feel. For the longest time, i have been trying to lose weight. Nothing ever worked for me. Even though i was exercising, i couldn't drop the weight...except maybe a pound or two. Then i would gain it back. It was frustrating. I guess it was my fault as i would eat until i got full, or i had to have at least two helpings. I was the heaviest i ever weighed last year....about 228. It was a gradual gain over like 10-12 years, about 40 pounds. I felt miserable. Then last year my wife and i tried this program called Diet Free Life. You basically eat every 2-3 hours, 3 snacks and 3 meals typically. You just had to have the right combination of proteins and carbs (fast/slow). You didnt have to cut out favorites like bread, pasta, etc. plus your snacks could be anything as long as it was in the suggested calorie range. We bought the program but actually didnt open the box until a few months later...lol. We then opened it and watched the dvds on how to put your fat loss plates together. Well, this has been the only thing that has ever worked for me. Plus i did get the Map my fitness app and started a walking program last July. I did fall off the program though for about a few months, but restarted again last month and am now at 199.2 and am losing about 1.5-2 pounds per week. I determined how much weight i wanted to lose each week by figuring out my resting calorie burn. I bought a jawbone up band which really helps alot. Plus downloaded the my fitness pal app last month to track my eating, etc. it has really been a positive experience. My wife and i are on the right track now. Hang in there, we know you can do it. Working out just enhances, accelerates the process. Eating the right combination of food, plus eating every 2-3 hours plus a sound fitness program will surely meet your needs. Good luck to you! You can do it!

Thank you very much ! I am definitely determined its just gets hard at times like last night I got a steak and cheese flatbread from subway I knew I shouldn't have and it was in my calorie range but I still felt guilty ! :-( uggggg !
  • mariemxx
    Options
    Reeniec wrote: »
    Hi Marie,

I so feel your pain. I have struggled with my weight since I graduated high school oh so many years ago. I recently read an article (goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/advice/a19539/weight-loss-texting/) that talked about texting your way through weight-loss with a weight loss buddy by sending motivational reminders and support. I've never done it myself but I've been curious to see if it would work for me. PM me if you're interested and no worries if not.

Irene

Hey Irene ! I am in the process of reading that link you sent me now . Thank you ! And I am definitely down for that I need accountability ! Someone who will say hey what did you have for lunch. lol ..
  • mariemxx
    Options
    achapmanva wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

Hi Marie,
    I'm in the same boat as you! Most of the time when I fall off of my healthy eating it is so hard to get back on track. I'm determined now to make this work and not regress.

I completely agree I just need to remember when I do fall off the healthy eating train to just get right back on at the next stop !
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Well then you are in the right place Marie! Over the years my weight crept up on me...and though I would lose a few pounds here and there..it didn't seem to cease the scale from slowly climbing. I started counting calories in March 2014 and have been doing so since. I'm down 30 lbs and it has stayed off!! Nothing should be off limits, because this is supposed to be a lifestyle change! My biggest tip: Season your food well. Eating healthy should not be bland and boring...so spice it up! Make eating healthy fun!
    Some things I have found that I love:
    - Chai tea!! It's zero calories and the Wild Chaild brand is amazing
    - Baked sweet potato fries...flip them in garlic powder/chipotle seasoning prior to baking
    - Horseradish sauce..packs a HUGE punch of flavor (which you can tone down if you like) and it's really low calorie
    - Chicken tenderloins! They are fairly affordable and they never come out tough..and you can add whatever seasoning you want...the options are endless..wraps, salads..over steamed veggies
  • mariemxx
    Options
    Well then you are in the right place Marie! Over the years my weight crept up on me...and though I would lose a few pounds here and there..it didn't seem to cease the scale from slowly climbing. I started counting calories in March 2014 and have been doing so since. I'm down 30 lbs and it has stayed off!! Nothing should be off limits, because this is supposed to be a lifestyle change! My biggest tip: Season your food well. Eating healthy should not be bland and boring...so spice it up! Make eating healthy fun!
    Some things I have found that I love:
    - Chai tea!! It's zero calories and the Wild Chaild brand is amazing
    - Baked sweet potato fries...flip them in garlic powder/chipotle seasoning prior to baking
    - Horseradish sauce..packs a HUGE punch of flavor (which you can tone down if you like) and it's really low calorie
    - Chicken tenderloins! They are fairly affordable and they never come out tough..and you can add whatever seasoning you want...the options are endless..wraps, salads..over steamed veggies

Why thank you Jessica ! :-) I actually made some turkey burgers last night with some montreal steak seasoning pepper and a little hot sauce and BOYYYYYY I am excited to eat them for lunch :smiley:
  • Reeniec
    Reeniec Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Reeniec wrote: »
    Hi Marie,

Irene

Hey Irene ! I am in the process of reading that link you sent me now . Thank you ! And I am definitely down for that I need accountability ! Someone who will say hey what did you have for lunch. lol ..

You and me both, Marie! I'll PM you # and we can see how it goes. =)